Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Rise of the Tomb Raider is on sale right now 67% off,I am not a big TR fan but I enjoyed TR2013 even though it didn't have much tomb raiding perhaps because I am not a huge fan of the series,is Rise worth the money in this case?

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Rise of the Tomb Raider is on sale right now 67% off,I am not a big TR fan but I enjoyed TR2013 even though it didn't have much tomb raiding perhaps because I am not a huge fan of the series,is Rise worth the money in this case?

It's essentially more of the same.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's essentially more of the same.
Yeah. There's $20 of fun to be had if you liked the first game but it's not perfect. The combination of "open world" and "use climbing arrow here" feels schizo and unsatisfying, Lara's "I'm a real and vulnerable person" while she takes on a dozen highly trained commandos at once is schizo and unsatisfying, there is no tension in the "another avalanche!!!!!" sequences. If you can overlook all this, it's good. My full Steam review

bloodlover

Arcane
How are these newer TR games compare to the old ones in terms of puzzles and gameplay? I played the first four on PS1 ages ago and I loved them but the newer ones seem more and more focused on combat which I am not a fan of. Seeing as there is this massive TR sale, are there any new(ish) TR games worth playing?

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How are these newer TR games compare to the old ones in terms of puzzles and gameplay? I played the first four on PS1 ages ago and I loved them but the newer ones seem more and more focused on combat which I am not a fan of. Seeing as there is this massive TR sale, are there any new(ish) TR games worth playing?
Like so many reboots nowadays, the new games have nothing to do with the old ones. Forget that they're called Tomb Raider and you will have a much better time. That said, they're fun if you like falling off cliffs, upgrading guns, cover shooters and traversing puzzleish environments.

Latelistener

Arcane
How are these newer TR games compare to the old ones in terms of puzzles and gameplay?
If you want Tomb Raider, buy the previous trilogy (Legend - Anniversary (remake of the first game) - Underworld).
Legend was a nice reboot from Crystal Dynamics. Eidos put them in charge of the series after the original creator (Core Design) failed epically with The Angel of Darkness.

TR 2013, however, is a third person popamole shooter about bad russians, with shitty writing from Rhianna Pratchett, which has basically no connection with what happens in the game (Lara cries about a killed reindeer, but has no problems killing dozens of humans).
Rise of the Tomb Raider is basically more of the same.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Bought Tomb Raider 2013 because it was on sale for $3. It had OVERWHELMINGLY POSITIVE on Steam. Must at least not be total shit, right?

Wrong. It's just pointless cinematic QTEs, easy, shallow action sequences, and insultingly simple "puzzles" set in extremely linear level design with the usual Batman detective vision, waypoint markers for every little thing, and a forgettable story.

1c147d6798.png

Cool name

Arcane
a forgettable story.
In my personal opinion, its way better than anyone says it is. This game literally caused a paradigm shift in the way I look at story-based video games by giving me an immense newfound respect for the artistic genius that is possible when you combine interactivity with a story that could probably win a Pulitzer. It was also the first game I ever played that made me feel like a total piece of shit, but was also incredibly enjoyable at the same time. I walked away from that game visibly shocked and feeling like a changed man, and it was hard to think about anything else for the next three days. Truly a masterpiece IMO.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Guacamelee! 2, sequel to the acclaimed lucha libre Metroidvania:

ss_37b4fe3f889bd4cdd5a13d7350bf7df7df86fe1a.600x338.jpg

ss_4c76390ead641bb47e27d5e4aa3c40818c7f8214.600x338.jpg

Brawling has never been more beautiful! The long-awaited sequel to the smash hit action-platformer is here: Guacamelee! 2 brings luchador Juan Aguacate out of retirement for a stunning new Metroidvania-style adventure, where he must face his greatest challenge yet - one that threatens to tear apart the very fabric of the Mexiverse!

Explore a huge, hand-crafted world inspired by Mexican culture and folklore, filled with sassy new villains and weirdos (and a few old friends!). Learn a deep repertoire of bone-crunching wrestling moves to fend off the skeletal hordes and overcome skillful platforming challenges... and who said anything about a Chicken Illuminati? Certainly not us!

Check out these features:
  • An epic adventure spanning time and space, featuring drop-in 4-player local co-op for you and your best amigos!
  • A brand new upgrade system: discover “trainers” around the world, defeat their challenges, and develop your skill sets for movement, combat, and more!
  • A vibrant, colorful adventure that takes you from the Mangrove Swamp to Hell itself, featuring twice as many enemy types as the first game and a roster of eccentric new bosses!
  • An absolutely fuego electro-Mexican soundtrack, and more gorgeous visuals than ever thanks to a fancy new rendering engine!
  • Definintely no secret society of chickens that teaches you ancient chicken abilities previously lost to the ages!

mastroego

Arcane
Here, I'll translate it into Italian: "Bibbidi bobbi, bobbity boopi, beepity boppi boopi." *absurdly dramatic hand gestures*
Ok I had no time earlier to answer Blaine's gentle remarks, so here's my take.

Obviously the new Tomb Raider games are popamole AAA titles so there's plenty of flaws to be found that belong to that category.
But there are good things about them too. Here's a few:

- I like the exploration part. Not too linear, and the Z axis comes into play quite a bit. More than in other AAA titles I've played.
- The weapon upgrades are fun and often quite creative.
- It's really not that easy to find all the secrets.
- The gun/bow-play is not bad.
- I'm playing Rise right now on Survivor difficulty. There's NO autoheal. You have to get medicinal herbs and bandages.
- Yeah a bit cutscene-y but they those sections tend to be clumped together. Then you get ample time to do what you want.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
- I'm playing Rise right now on Survivor difficulty. There's NO autoheal. You have to get medicinal herbs and bandages.

Oh, fuck! Well in that case, sign me up!

I dunno man, I replayed New Vegas last month, just finished Prey, and recently started on a long-time-coming replay of System Shock 2. My popamole tolerance is at an all-time low at the moment.

I gave TR an hour. I almost could have played through that hour by spanking the keyboard with my dick. The most "challenging" part was shooting the wolves when Lara gets snared, which wasn't challenging at all. When does it get semi-tolerable?

mastroego

Arcane
Don't remember exactly, I'm playing the second game right now.
Probably later, yes there's that annoying, long part where the new, "innocent" Lara gets "introduced". There'll be others. But it's a long game, too.

Zombra

Patron
When does it get semi-tolerable?
It really doesn't. Any fun to be wrung from these games is only at the cost of submersion in deep, deep banality. Don't let mastroego or anyone else try to sell you back on these. You did the right thing refunding; $3 is not too high a price to pay but 20+ gaming hours is. You can do better elsewhere.

mastroego

Arcane
I'd welcome suggestions, I'm not an expert in the genre. Just saying that I had fun with both titles.
What's better than TR at what it does?

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Tomb Raider is awesome, but the enjoyment of the game comes from its bizarre tonal whiplashes. Lara nearly getting raped, then finding a rare artifact and musing excitedly over it like a 10 year old girl. Lara mowing down 50 men during the gameplay, then having a moment of serious introspection after killing one guy in a cut scene. Lara continuing to whimper and behave as if she's on the verge of death, each time she murders victim after victim after victim. Platforming QTEs punctuated by sudden, "knock you out of the gameplay," NC-17 level death scenes. The creators of the game wanted to make it "gritty" and "real," but in some cases they were so successful at it that the result is comical, especially when it clashes with the more generic gameplay elements. It does have some pretty great action set pieces, too, and liberally borrows from "The Descent" and B 1980s action movies.

It's your standard 3rd person action game in terms of gameplay, but I don't love it for the game play. I love it because it's so tonally fucked up.

"Rise of the Tomb Raider" is a completely normal game in every way, however, and is mediocre as a consequence.

Last edited:

Zombra

Patron
I'd welcome suggestions, I'm not an expert in the genre. Just saying that I had fun with both titles.
What's better than TR at what it does?
No one's saying the new TRs aren't fun - I played both to the end credits myself - but in Codex terms they aren't "prestigious" (challenging, complex). They rely far too much on overblown, unrealistic cinematic sequences (Lara falls about 300 miles straight down in both games and forgets all about it 3 seconds later every time) dominated by QTEs, and garbage like hidden collectibles; and in my opinion their "committee" designs come out very muddled. ... Wait, let me find that old post of mine ... ah there it is.

Ninjad by Juan, I'll stop there. Happy to complain about these for hours.

mastroego

Arcane
Ok then, so you agree that they provide some fun anyway.
I can acknowledge your agenda or even actually agree they aren't prestigious.
But the question remains: what games do a similar thing, but better?

ultimanecat

Arcane
Besides the already mentioned tonal issues, my main problems with TR2013 are twofold:

-If you’re remotely semicompetent at action games, you’re going to max out your XP, and you’re going to max out the skill tree. It’s fake progression and doesn’t really differentiate “builds” or gameplay in any interesting way, so really what’s the point?

- There are extended platforming/climbing sequences where you literally hold a direction and press a button at your leisure. Waste of time and not even functional gameplay.

Can’t say anything about the newer because why would I try it after that?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom