Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

ortucis

Prophet
Bought these few hours ago, dirt cheap.

Personally, I thought Just Cause 2 was a pile of turd so never bothered with the sequels. But it's so cheap discounted (about $1.2), might as well. Maybe they've improved the gameplay (though I doubt it, judging from the reviews), cause I remember getting bored from doing same shit over and over again.

As for Thief, I've already played it before. Now just getting it on Steam cause despite its flaws, I liked collecting ink-well's in that game. That and I played it on 660Ti and was curious how the game would look maxed out on my 1060 (it looks pretty similar to Thief 3 honestly, with larger vistas when on rooftops). The FOV is fucked up though. Some idiot at Enix thought it was a good idea to lower FOV (view zooms in) when you crouch. So you have to set the FOV to 95 to make the game not give you a headache. I've never set FOV in an Unreal game above 85-87 at 1080p. In this game, anything lower than 95 looks like ass.

Solid Snail

Learned
I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying Monster Hunter. I never played a single entry of this franchise until World, and I got a code from a friend for 15€. I thought I wouldn't enjoy it but I find the gameplay is very similar to Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker (bosses with huge amount of health, the fact you need to destroy specific parts of them in order to get different crafting items).

The only negative thing is the fact I hate when monsters run away, and they do this 3-4 times for each fight.
it's fun, what's so surprising in enjoying a fun game?
Because initially I thought the game wasn't my genre.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Devotion, a new horror game from the Taiwanese developer behind the acclaimed Detention:

ss_6fb7efb44c94edc9149832cbadf4d4b5a2adca0d.600x338.jpg
ss_39aa98aeaf7b6e1413ae0db7ae3d2a399e43c98d.600x338.jpg

From the creators of the IndieCade Journey Award winner Detention, Red Candle Games brings you a story Inspired by East Asian folk culture. Devotion is a first-person atmospheric horror game depicting the life of a family shadowed by religious belief. Explore as a 1980s Taiwan apartment-complex lost in time gradually shift into a hellish nightmare. Delve into the vows each member of the family has made, and witness their devotion.

Story
You step into your apartment, 80s music drifts through the air, an idol show plays on the television; a nostalgic setting surely, but what is this feeling of unease? You question this place you used to call “home,” noticing as it distorts with every shift of your eyes, anxious as your surroundings skirt the precipice of the extraordinary. As you push through each memory, uncovering the layers of each mystery, you may find buried in this home, the unsettling truth of those who lived here.
“Remember what you prayed for…”

Features
  • First-person atmospheric horror
  • Story-driven exploration and intrigue
  • Sound design applying the use of East Asian instruments and 80s Taiwanese music
  • Relive the 1980s Taiwanese lifestyle through visuals and setting
  • Unique Taiwanese/East Asian reference (folk culture, elements of taoism/buddhism)
Original Theme Song
Written and performed by Golden Melody Award winner “No party for Cao Dong”.

ortucis

Prophet
Ugh, all of these horror games look and play the same. I don't think I've played a horror game for like 10 years now. I just watch a Let's Play and get it over with, since all of them are a linear shit-fest, might as well watch them like a movie. It started with Amnesia, and the ride doesn't end.

You step into your apartment, 80s music drifts through the air, an idol show plays on the television; a nostalgic setting surely, but what is this feeling of unease? You question this place you used to call “home,” noticing as it distorts with every shift of your eyes, anxious as your surroundings skirt the precipice of the extraordinary. As you push through each memory, uncovering the layers of each mystery, you may find buried in this home, the unsettling truth of those who lived here.
“Remember what you prayed for…”

Yes, that idol show. So nostalgic. :hahano:

Shit premise and awful story. Add to the reasons to not play these games.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Ion Assault, a 2010 twin stick shooter from Chaos Chronicles dev Coreplay, now re-released by THQ Nordic. They probably acquired this with bitComposer:

ss_0ce3ecaf64191e15b0100500aeba2617bbc24518.600x338.jpg

Creeper World 4, the creepery tower defense series now goes to 3D:

ss_5d1b1862efa22d87f287d46123abe127dac8e94b.600x338.jpg

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Wondered why Frostpunk is on the top of top sellers without any apparent discounts or updates. 50% off coupons distributed to the owners of other 11bit Studios' games doing the trick.

Modron

Arcane
Wondered why Frostpunk is on the top of top sellers without any apparent discounts or updates. 50% off coupons distributed to the owners of other 11bit Studios' games doing the trick.
Yeah was thinking about partaking in that myself but still on the fence.

Solid Snail

Learned
I wrongly deleted the folder with the drm free Outcast Humble gave sometime ago and now I can't even download it back from Humble, despite the game being listed in my purchase list, there is no download link. Worst freebie ever.

ortucis

Prophet
I wrongly deleted the folder with the drm free Outcast Humble gave sometime ago and now I can't even download it back from Humble, despite the game being listed in my purchase list, there is no download link. Worst freebie ever.

I have the download, luckily. But yeah, it's one of the shittiest freebie packaging. Game comes zipped up without installer too like one of those adult games you download from Patreon.

Well at least it was free..

ortucis

Prophet

OK so games from this bundle I've played so far:

Anna's Quest - Family friendly adventure game about a cute little girl and her talking bear with a lovely witch, that kidnaps and kills children, coming after them.

Blackguards - Love the music (comes with FLAC OST btw), but the story and world is same Dark Eye generic cliche-fest. I do like the witty banter between characters (what little there is) and the combat is alright. Though I swear this game gets hard really fast (it could be because I'm playing a mage). Then again, every Dark Eye based game I play has a weird difficulty spike after first few fights.

Decay: The Mare
- Like Scratches, this game features an awful interface where you click on small arrows to change the scene (though Scratches improved it later on). Haven't played much of it, but the glitchy buttons that keep popping up when you move mouse around kinda pissed me off in just 8 mins of playtime. I'll give this another try later on.

SKYHILL - Survival game featuring X-Com like (or Fallout Shelter) ant-farm, where you click on rooms to move the character and search for resources while having simple turn based combat with enemies. Also has audio logs and magazines to read which try to fill you in on another generic apocalypse that turned people into monsters. It's.. alright. Not bad, but nothing amazing, relies on RNG so expect to find a lot of empty shelves. Also, this game's non discount price is about $15 and it isn't worth more than $2. This kinda feels like it was designed for phones with similar cog-wheel main menu.

Last edited:

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Far Cry 4, I spray 100 rounds of assault rifle rounds at a rhino and it didn't die, ran out of rifle ammo but killed it with my backup pistol.
I missed quite a lot but haha oh wow bullet-proof rhinos, they should make vests out of rhino skin.
I was running circles around a large rock while being chased by the rhino.
:hmmm:

GrainWetski

Arcane
SKYHILL - Survival game featuring X-Com like (or Fallout Shelter) ant-farm, where you click on rooms to move the character and search for resources while having simple turn based combat with enemies. Also has audio logs and magazines to read which try to fill you in on another generic apocalypse that turned people into monsters. It's.. alright. Not bad, but nothing amazing, relies on RNG so expect to find a lot of empty shells. Also, this game's non discount price is about $15 and it isn't worth more than $2. This kinda feels like it was designed for phones with similar cog-wheel main menu.

There's no fucking "ant-farm" in X-COM. That's the pretender abomination XCOM by Firaxis.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom