Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Aren't Aliens vs Predator and Titanfall 2 basically dead multiplayer games by now?
Horde mode and PvP multiplayers still active. It had a problem where hackers shut the online element down completely for over a year. Several EA games had a similar issue and this year they all get patched and have multiplayer communities again.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
I don't feel like any games on my wishlist are priced lower during the winter sale than they are when just on regular sale throughout the year. I miss the flash sales. Ahh well. I have enough games to last a lifetime in my backlog.

Kaivokz

Arcane
A few games I am considering that are at their lowest price:

And a couple others that are cheap, but not the cheapest they've been:

TripJack

Hedonist
i got kingdom come but nothing else is jumping out at me this sale in fact several games i was interested in saw bigger discounts last christmas or even in other sales this year. thanks a lot inflationjews

Wasteland

Novice
Picked up Elden Ring, which is as cheap as it's ever been, though still not especially cheap in the grand scheme--you can save even a little more money by buying it at Green Man Gaming as of this moment: https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/elden-ring-pc/

Not sure I'll ever get around to playing it, but those FromSoftware guys are pretty stingy with discounts, so against my better judgment, FOMO, etc--the backlog grows again.

I've been on a space game kick lately for the last thirty years, so I also picked up the following:

Hopefully this one finally kills off Stellaris for me, because boy have I come to hate Paradox's business model, and not just because it's greedy; I hate the whole drastically-overhaul-the-game-every-few-months-for-extra-cash-and-oh-by-the-way-never-ending-hype-from-our-clickbait-youtube-shills culture. It's actually worse than Bethesda breaking everyone's Skyrim mods with sudden patches 58 years after the game's launch--well, ok, maybe Bethesda's actions are worse, but at least Skyrim players deserve it.

Distant Worlds 2 is a little cheaper on GOG right now, btw, at least if you only buy the base game.

I've had my eye on SpaceBourne 2 for awhile. It appears to be X4-meets-Star-Citizen, made by a single developer, and by all accounts he's largely succeeded. Worth buying just to reward the man's utter madness. If you're interested in this niche, or something like it, there are a number of other prospects that are on sale right now:
  • X4 itself, of course, which is an autist's dream; I speak from personal experience. (Worth noting that many excellent QoL mods for X4 only exist on Steam's workshop, so best not to buy it on other platforms.)
  • Empyrion, a survival game, which by all accounts is a less shallow/childish take on No Man's Sky
  • Avorion appears to be Minecraft-meets-X4
  • Astrox Imperium, i.e. "Eve Offline."

Ash

Arcane
Alright I come back just for this one post to spread the incline and get the devs their due.
My list of indie game recommendations on sale, all for less than 10 bucks. Amazing value for money:

SOLID gameplay and graphics. Immerse yourself in space for this hardcore 6DoF shooter. A must-play. Play in first person perspective for maximum immersion, not third.

Darkwood, the only worthy survival horror in decades. A must-play. Try not to make the same mistake as others and judge it in two seconds.

A very good FPS roguelite. One of very few worthy FPS since the 90s in my book. Pure gameplayfag though, don't expect much in the way of story or atmosphere.

A Descent spiritual successor by the original devs. Solid 6DoF FPS.

An excellent top-down shooter roguelite. Don't think, because the promo material doesn't convey the greatness of this game, just buy. If you like action games, you wont regret this.

Ash

Arcane

A condensed Ultima Underworld-like RPG roguelite. Wont blow you away but it is simply solid gameplay and worth the price.

One of the greatest Metroidvanias alongside Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. A must-play.

Another condensed underworld-like roguelite RPG, developed by a Codexer if I recall. Like One More Dungeon 2 above, don't expect the best thing ever, but it's more than good for the price.

A pretty good Metroidvania that rips off Souls. Still has its own merit though + a little more platforming focus than souls.

Extremely fun, the best side-scrolling shooter mainly if you have someone to play co-op with.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom