Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Ten CRPG Commandments

Human Shield

Augur
Elvander said:
Taoreich, you seem to be confused over one aspect of the argument. Combat is neccesary, nae vital to a CRPG. Its not a separate entity from the game, not a sub game or metagame. Its part of the fucking system. One cannot be without the other.

I don't think that is the case. You need stats that determine if you can do a certain action but it doesn't have to be combat focused.

Rosh

Erudite
StraitLacedDeviant said:
Taoreich, you seem to be confused over one aspect of the argument. Combat is neccesary, nae vital to a CRPG. Its not a separate entity from the game, not a sub game or metagame. Its part of the fucking system. One cannot be without the other. Therefore it becomes vital to the quality of the game that the combat is as effective as the rest of the mechanics.

"Just because its the best option doesn't mean its the only one."

Now, I'm really going to put the final nail into this part of the discussion, mainly in providing the missink link for some people's understanding of what a CRPG is. The CRPG genre was named such for the conversion of the ability to play as in P&P RPGs, but on computer. P&P RPGs have what kind of combat? That's right, turn-based of varying sorts, but still turn-based at the core. Not many games offered this kind of play until Fallout, and Fallout did perhaps the best job of providing a role-playing experience. You could play through in killing everything, but you could also go in a number of other ways. It is facilitated in the fact that turn-based combat exists for a reason, which is known to be a fundamental rule to those who care about such design and have developed heavily within it. It provides the best implementation options for expressing the character's skill in combat and not just be another meat puppet in a crack-induced Punch and Judy show. Crank that reference through Google if you fellows need to.

Also theres no "i" in germane.

No, you're mistaken. He was trying to talk about Jermaine Jackson. Hooked-On Thesaurus Fakery wurked fur heem!

Thirteener

Novice
Maybe the fact that you can push the Submit button and see text appear has you fooled into thinking you have some basis in this topic. You don't stop with the bullshit, do you?

I have to agree with Taoerich here almost entirely on the grounds that his argument never deteriorated into sitting in a pile of his own bullshit and chucking words like "sodomize" and "shithead" at his opponent like a sixth-grade kid who can't think of anything meaningful to say. Kudos to you, Taoerich, for keeping your head while your blithering idiot of an opponent tried the sixth-grade tact of putting you down to win.

That being said, you both had convincing arguments, It's just to bad it had to turn into an election-year mudslinging fest.

Rosh

Erudite
Thirteener said:
I have to agree with Taoerich here almost entirely on the grounds that his argument never deteriorated into sitting in a pile of his own bullshit and chucking words like "sodomize" and "shithead" at his opponent like a sixth-grade kid who can't think of anything meaningful to say. Kudos to you, Taoerich, for keeping your head while your blithering idiot of an opponent tried the sixth-grade tact of putting you down to win.

It's amusing that you fell for that red herring part of the argument. I don't know what the hell you're smoking to miss pertinent points of the conversation, but keep it as far away as possible.

That being said, you both had convincing arguments, It's just to bad it had to turn into an election-year mudslinging fest.

Too bad, like him, you have absolutely no clue on how to fake talking about something you have no basic understanding of. Congratulations! No, wait, I called it exactly. So, you lose.

Have a cookie.

Rosh

Erudite
Thirteener said:

It's amusing that you fell for that red herring part of the argument. I don't know what the hell you're smoking to miss pertinent points of the conversation, but keep it as far away as possible.

Too bad, like him, you have absolutely no clue on how to fake talking about something you have no basic understanding of. Therefore, if I'm going to waste my time talking to someone who has a presumption to try and bullshit an understanding of the genre, then I might as well make it amusing for those who have to drudge through your waste of bandwidth. Speaking of wasting bandwidth, congratulations for posting something that had absolutely no relevance to the discussion other than your possible hot sweaty manlove fantasies over someone who can use a thesaurus but can't quite fake an understanding of the topic enough to be convincing to me. That's the only thing I could think of that would excuse someone making themselves out to be an even further idiot than the original smoke blower.

Congratulations! No, wait, I called it exactly. So, you lose.

Have a cookie.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Rosh, I made my reply to Thirteener very short. It went along the lines of "How dare you, you idiot." ... which was exactly how it went. Yeah, I wouldn't waste my time with this one and neither should you.

...I take that back. On second thought, why not. There's nothing like taking advantage of an idiot on a slow night.

Rosh

Erudite
Yeah, it's just more amusement, especially since David "Exponential Boy" Gaider went back to his famous excuse. And people wonder why I don't have much faith in BioWare's design when they spew such ignorance like that, especially one of their designers, no less.

Rosh

Erudite
Even better, check out the CRPG definition thread. It's like moths to bug lights.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Rosh said:
Yeah, it's just more amusement, especially since David "Exponential Boy" Gaider went back to his famous excuse. And people wonder why I don't have much faith in BioWare's design when they spew such ignorance like that, especially one of their designers, no less.
Jade Empire could be good. I'm hoping for Shenmue-like combat system, but I'll have to wait till its released to see what its like. Or atleast something similar to Return of the King. If its the usual "click and watch" they can shove it.

GrimKnight

Novice
Time shall have meaning!

One of the most important commandments has not yet made an appearance. Thus I would like to put forth:
Time shall have meaning!
No lets rest for a month and the good / bad guys do nothing, at the very least they should get stronger. More likely they should attack someone / something. It should definitely be something that makes the protagonists life much more difficult. Unsolved problems of the sort addressed in RPGs be they CRPGs or PnP RPGs get more severe the longer they are allowed to exist. So please let time have meaning.

MerchantKing

Learned
Now this is quite a thread to reanimate. No one seems to have proposed a complete list of exactly what the ten crpg commandments should be in this thread. This is needed more than ever in this day and age.

Xorazm

Cipher
Now this is quite a thread to reanimate. No one seems to have proposed a complete list of exactly what the ten crpg commandments should be in this thread. This is needed more than ever in this day and age.
I was skimming people talking about how romances drag down games, lack of faith in Bioware, and the superiority of turn-based combat, and suddenly it hit me that this was 20 years ago.

Man, how little changes.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Remember fun in dialogue. Because you can't create a masterpiece but if it's boring to read then it'll never be a classic.

Make the systems simple. Keyboard and mouse, and the mouse isn't a gamepad. Hotkeys are key. Nothing is better than 'it's either on or off'. Period.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom