Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

THE TOP 100 GAMES OF ALL TIME

Not.AI

Learned
Deus Ex on top?! AWESOME HIGH FIVE

Some of this list is heresy though!

Tomb Raider 2 is "a better game" than Divinity Original Sin 2?

Mass Effect 2 also all the way near the top?! Way above Witcher 3?!

WHAT WHAT WHAT?!

kangaxx

Arbiter
Bait.

Edit: that said, something called OnlyFap Simulator 3 is showing up as a high selling game on Steam at the moment. This is where the gaming community is at the moment.

That is definitely a list that list 100 games.

I like how shit gaming outlets are at putting together these kinds of Top 100 video games list; especially like, once you hit the 2010s. I can't imagine some movie outlet (and the goes for music) putting together a list of the 100 movies ever made and it leaning so heavy into releases from the last 12 years. It feels like a troll list, something made to drive hate clicks. There is so not a point of view to it that trolling seems to be the point of view.

The greatest Adventure Game of all time...of the point and click style: Walking Dead Season 1

The greatest third person shooter of all time: Mass Effect 2

That's just trolling. That's not something a group actually settles on. Putting Walking Dead right above Day of the Tentacle is a troll, and starting off by saying there are so many choices is a troll. Are there so many choices RPS, are there really? There's the illusion of choices on your first play through. Then you see see how things change if you do the other thing and you see they don't really change at all and you never had any choice in most cases and then you just stop playing the game at the first episode you got for free.

Ash

Arcane
Stop giving trash journos money. Clicks/attention = money.

STOP

Mass Effect 2 also all the way near the top?!

Yeah, it shouldn't even be in the list at all. It's weird, because you recognize what a good game is (Deus Ex), but then....oh well.

Falksi

Arcane
Never trust any top 100 which has either 0 or few entries from huge genres such as SHMUPs, Beat Em Ups and Strategy games. Any journo who can't find 1 game from each big genre for a top 100 hasn't played enough games, and shouldn't be a journo in the first place.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Never trust any top 100 which has either 0 or few entries from huge genres such as SHMUPs, Beat Em Ups and Strategy games. Any journo who can't find 1 game from each big genre for a top 100 hasn't played enough games, and shouldn't be a journo in the first place.

Oof. You wouldn't trust my top 100 list then. Maybe 2 entries at best each of SHMUP and Beat em ups. Various forms of strategy games (mainly turn-based tactics) would fare a lot better, 6 or 7 entries maybe. Next to no shmup or beat em ups would probably still remain true for my top 500 too.

Last edited:

Oof. You wouldn't trust my top 100 list then. Maybe 2 entries at best each of SHMUP and Beat em ups. Various forms of strategy games (mainly turn-based tactics) would fare a lot better, 6 or 7 entries maybe. Next to no shmup or beat em ups would probably would still remain true for my top 500 too.
Yeah, I've been playing computer games for right about 40 years, and I've never found a SHMUP or Beat'em'up that I found engaging. They're just very firmly not my cup of tea.

This list is hilarious clickbait trash though, and good for a laugh with its random dumbness:
"Ah yes, Arcanum: that crpg that was sadly overshadowed by Bioshock due to their thematic similarities and which I, your trusted random blogger, have most definitely played!"

:lol:

Lucumo

Educated
It's fine if a journalist doesn't play every genre, but then he also shouldn't pretend to universally know what's best. And there are always colleagues to discuss games and rankings with.

Falksi

Arcane

Oof. You wouldn't trust my top 100 list then. Maybe 2 entries at best each of SHMUP and Beat em ups. Various forms of strategy games (mainly turn-based tactics) would fare a lot better, 6 or 7 entries maybe. Next to no shmup or beat em ups would probably would still remain true for my top 500 too.
To be fair though Ash, that's a personal list, which is fair enough.

When a journo is supposedly telling the general public what the best 100 games are of ALL TIME are though, then they need to be balanced and objective. You aren't really into SHMUPs, which is fair enough, but a Games Journalist simply have to be or they aren't up to the role. It's like being a sports journalist, doing a list of "Best Ever Sportsmen" and missing out sports they aren't into. That's just not good journalism.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane

Yeah, I've been playing computer games for right about 40 years, and I've never found a SHMUP or Beat'em'up that I found engaging. They're just very firmly not my cup of tea.

But I do find them engaging, in the right context: multiplayer for beat em ups. Shmups for a very brief time when there isn't better options, say at an arcade or just to try something new/old. I have appreciation for most forms of pure gaming. I just very strongly believe they shouldn't be anywhere near the top of a list of the absolute greatest games, as the content is simply not there. They're VERY simple games. Shmups you most typically press up/down/left/right while holding shoot. Maybe one or two other functions at best. Even being a hillbilly NASCAR driver is more demanding than that. They're also very short compared to what else is out there. A competent indie team could develop something true to genre in less than a year. Probably less than 6 months even. And that's your lot. They're still to be respected or appreciated, but alongside the absolute best of the industry? IDK maybe it's just personal bias but I am not seeing it. Or maybe I've just played a lot of really awesome games over the years.

Still, once more I will always love G-Darius. That would be on the back end of my top 100 list.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane

But I do find them engaging, in the right context: multiplayer for beat em ups. Shmups for a very brief time when there isn't better options, say at an arcade or just to try something new. I have appreciation for most forms of pure gaming. I just very strongly believe they shouldn't be anywhere near the top of a list of the absolute greatest games, as the content is simply not there. They're VERY simple games.
But you're playing them casually, which is why you find them simple.

SHMUPS have as much depth as some RPGs if you aim to 1CC or no-death run them, especially at harder levels. People don't appreciate their brilliance because they don't play them in the way which gets the most from them. I guarentee that if you take the time to 1CC games such as Hellfire, DoDonPachi, Eliminate Down etc. you will come back buzzing and feeling accomplished like few other games have ever made you feel.

Plus nothing else offers intensity like a good SHMUP. Afterburner is still the most exciting game I've ever played, especially if you're trying to 1CC it. That's a perfect example of a game which should 100% feature in any top 100, sitting down in an Afterburner cab and blasting your way through it remains untouchable for intense thrive.

I mean that's another flaw with this and other such lists - where the fuck are the arcade games? Or all the great couch co-op games?

Ash

Arcane

SHMUPS have as much depth as some RPGs if you aim to 1CC or no-death run them, especially at harder levels. People don't appreciate their brilliance because they don't play them in the way which gets the most from them. I guarentee that if you take the time to 1CC games such as Hellfire, DoDonPachi, Eliminate Down etc. you will come back buzzing and feeling accomplished like few other games have ever made you feel.
Does the game suddenly grow more levels, gameplay mechanics, systems, choices and content when you try for top score? Or even secondary, less important elements (music, story, art etc). No. All that happens is more strategies become relevant, which by the way is absolutely the same as in any other game. e.g you can try pistol start in doom. Or you can try iron man in doom. In doing either, different strategies and tactics come into play. But that's all.

I have tried to play them hardcore. They lose appeal fast as they're so barebones and also result in a lot of repetition. And I do mean repetition. Not like in other genres with dynamic gameplay where replaying content is still hugely fun because things can play out differently. The gameplay is so rigid that you are performing all the same actions and seeing the same results exactly the same over again. Please explain your case in great detail, on the slim chance I am wrong.

Since this isn't the first time we've argued on this, I will try your Hellfire. Today. Will report back later.

Falksi

Arcane

Does the game suddenly grow more levels, gameplay mechanics, systems, choices and content when you try for top score? Or even secondary, less important elements (music, story, art etc). No. All that happens is more strategies become relevant, which by the way is absolutely the same as in any other game. e.g you can try pistol start in doom. Or you can try iron man in doom. In doing either, different strategies and tactics come into play. But that's all.

I have tried to play them hardcore. They lose appeal fast as they're so barebones and also result in a lot of repetition. Please explain your case in great detail, on the slim chance I am wrong.

Since this isn't the first time we've argued on this, I will try your Hellfire. Today. Will report back later.
Don't just try Hellfire, beat Hellfire. Then beat it 1CC, then beat it on Hard, then no death run it, then beat it on Yea Right (tough ask mind). It's depth is in it's evolving challenge, not it's mechanics or choice etc. Like most of the best of these games, the challenge evolves way better than the usual HP bloat you get in a lot of RPGs.

One day isn't enough with Hellfire, no way are you gonna have that beat in a day even on Easy unless you cheat/rewind/save state, which totally waters down the buzz.

Ash

Arcane
Big ask to get me to play a whack-a-mole em' up for more than 30 mins :lol: One completion, you've seen most of what is on offer.
For you, and in the pursuit of learning and truth, I will try. I hope I don't catch autism.

Yeah RPGs often have major challenge issues for sure. But almost all other genres usually have a better grasp of challenge than RPGs. I don't see the need to go to shmups for that. Plus challenge is way more interesting when there is more variables than just move and shoot involved.

Falksi

Arcane
Big ask to get me to play a whack-a-mole em' up for more than 30 mins :lol: One completion, you've seen most of what is on offer.
For you, and in the pursuit of learning and truth, I will try. I hope I don't catch autism.

Yeah RPGs often have major challenge issues for sure. But almost all other genres usually have a better grasp of challenge than RPGs. I don't see the need to go to shmups for that. Plus challenge is way more interesting when there is more variables than just move and shoot involved.
Ha, I don't see it as being a purist, it's just playing the games how they were designed to be played. Great Deceiver, Nutmeg and a few others on here know the score with SMHUPs. Once they snag you mate they snag hard.

Hopefully you start to find the joy in them, but if not fair play for at least trying. They're still the most exciting genre out there for me, easily the one I get the biggest buzz off.

Ash

Arcane
It's not like I haven't tried before. G-Darius, R-Type, Desert Strike, Gradius, Raiden, Einhander, Asteroids, Space Invaders, Ex Machina and others. Zzz

I am just trying what is claimed to be the best of the genre as per a genre vet. See if there is something more to it.

Falksi

Arcane
It's not like I haven't tried before. G-Darius, R-Type, Desert Strike, Gradius, Raiden, Einhander, Asteroids, Space Invaders, Ex Machina and others. Zzz

I am just trying what is claimed to be the best of the genre as per a genre vet. See if there is something more to it.
Honestly, most of those are pretty slow & methodical SHMUPs. Thunderforce 3 is one I'd strongly suggest trying too, very accessible.

In fact, give these a whirl too if you get chance mate. More buzz:

• Thunderforce 3
  • Elemental Master
  • Battlemania/Troubleshooter 2
  • Eliminate Down
  • Afterburner 2

Honestly, I rush like fuck off those and the top 3 are easier to 1CC. Gateway to getting addicted to playing that way.

Dr1f7

Scholar
what a bizarre list. zero mention of lust academy, magic pussy: chapter 1, qi luo's erotic life, or bowser's inside story

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom