Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Ultima The Ultima Underworld I & II Thread

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Saxon1974, Jun 30, 2008.

1. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    Last time I played Ultima Underworld I used the mouse only, excecpt for looking up and down, writing on automap, and naming save games. You can jump, by hitting the right mouse button while holding down the left mouse button.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    Hey bros (Doctor Sbaitso, octavius, Siobhan and others),

I thought I'd share some things I learned about setting up the GOG UU1 release. The sounds are all fucked for the current release still - footsteps play piano chords, and the music is very low quality. My goal was to get the CM-32L emulation working, have independent 'mixer' control of the speech and music/SFX channels, and the game in a large window (5x the vanilla resolution), not fullscreen. That means I'm using DOSBox Daum build.

I got it all working. I've dicked around with various upscalers in the past, and never liked what they did to the pixel graphics. Some things would look better, but inevitably made the game feel like I was playing inside a surreal watercolor painting. Well, I found a scaler that preserves the pixel-ness but makes it a bit less harsh. It's actually a pixel shader, not scaler, called Lanczos. If you guys are curious what 5x vanilla, Lanczos and xBR look like in UU1, I made a comparison. Don't be fooled by xBR - look at the background texture of the main menu, and all the weird added details in the game screen.

image (open)
    view the image in fullscreen to see the differences - this is what you'll see playing[​IMG]

edit: holy shit, the CRT.D3D.br shader wins by a huge margin.

[​IMG]

I wrote a little how-to to get the music and independent mixer control also, mainly for myself if/when I reinstall in the future. Note that the speech is being driven by the soundblaster, while music/SFX is the CM-32L. It sounds nice in game and during the intro narrative with 'mixer MT32 50:50' set. It's crucial to modify the UW.cfg as described in 5, otherwise you won't get the CM-32L emulation or independent control of channels with mixer.

1. Install GOG UU1.
    2. Rename the DOSBOX folder to DOSBOX_original, use DAUM's dosbox folder. Should be named 'DOSBOX'
    3. Copy the CM-32L control and PCM roms into the Underworld directory the GOG installer was pointed to, NOT the UNDEROM1 folder.
    4. Run PIX's patch, select MT-32 in the bottom and only install the ROMs. It's crucial you do this after replacing the dosbox directory, as it modifies configuration files within it.
    5. Modify UW.CFG in UNDEROM1/DATA to read:
      6 -1 -1 -1 sound
      1 7 220 1 speech
      0 cuts
      Because the GOG release lacks the uninstall.exe configuration utility, we have to manually change this file to use the new CM-32L midi playback device. If you don't do this, dosbox will be emulating CM-32L but playing everything through soundblaster emulation. The lines to change are the first two; from 4 to 6 on the sound line (for CM-32L) and from 2 to 1 on the speech line (otherwise can't be controlled by 'mixer SB' switch. Unneeded if you don't care about this).
    6. Modify ULTIMA1.conf and ULTIMA1_single.conf files as needed. ULTIMA1 has been edited to take advantage of DAUM settings and stay compatible with the CM-32L emulation. Crucially, if cycles are set to MAX instead of ~40000, the audio hitches. ULTIMA1_single has manual entries to adjust the different sound emulation, as the CM-32L (MT-32) is far too loud. MT-32 is for the music / SFX, and I've set it to 50% by default.

Now that it's setup and I've beaten Lands of Lore 1, time to dive in.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 14
    • Salute Salute x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Doctor Sbaitso SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS. Patron

Doctor Sbaitso
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
    Nice job putting the install docs together.

For comparison, here are the Sound Blaster Pro music and MT-32 Music.

As I mentioned the SBPro wins here easily in my eyes, being far more organic and nuanced. The MT-32 instruments sound more like real instruments, but all tactile and feel are gone IMO. There is just no comparison. :obviously:

SBPro Descent rack

MT-32 Descent Track

SBPro Dark Abyss Track

MT-32 Dark Abyss Track

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Doctor Sbaitso SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS. Patron

Doctor Sbaitso
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
    agris any updates to share?

^ Top  
  5. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    Not yet, my holiday plans were changed at the last minute and I haven't had a chance to play it properly. I also got distracted by Omikron.

• Salute Salute x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. andwan0 Novice

andwan0
    Hi guys
    I am trying to find a lost walkthrough Ultima Underworld. It was a nice UW walkthrough, very detailed, step-by-step. I only copied level 1 & the map into MS Word a long time ago. Now I can't find it on google anymore. I searched and searched and can't find it.
    Here is the part I have. If anyone knows about this walkthrough, please share!
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

Yes, it's weird. I did google searches on certain sentences from this walkthrough, and I even did an IMAGE SEARCH, and google couldn't find any reference.
    I liked this walkthrough because it was the most detailed-step-by-step walkthrough.
    I'll try the other walkthroughs - even though they are not as detailed.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Doctor Sbaitso SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS. Patron

Doctor Sbaitso
    Show Spoiler
    Maybe put spoilers in spoiler tags. Why would you want a walkthrough anyways? Discovery and exploration are the joy.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. andwan0 Novice

andwan0
    Sorry, I didn't know about the spoiler option. Good idea.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Junmarko Arcane Patron

Junmarko
    ^ Top  
  10. Doctor Sbaitso SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS. Patron

Doctor Sbaitso
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss, turns 25 years old today.

It's at this point that I realize that the best "celebratory" smilies the Codex has on offer are these two:

:excellent: :bravo:

• Salute Salute x 13
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. yellowcake Arcane

yellowcake
    I thought I might have it and had dug out some old backup CDs but it turned out to be something different. Anyway, it is an old and very detailed guide\walkthrough that has this advantage that you can only read the "guide" part if you wish. No map pic though.

It is highly recommended to try to complete the game "saute" without any external help however. UW is really well designed and contained in itself that it should be doable if one is attentive. I remember I got stuck only once on my first playthrough and this was with my very rudimentary english command back in the days.

Here's the guide:

http://bootstrike.com/Uw1/Online/walk1.php

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Ultima Underworld engine remake in Unity:

http://ultimacodex.com/2017/03/underworld-exporter-ultima-underworld-in-unity-playthrough/

^ Top  
  14. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    congratz I guess

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. --- Arcane

---
    vapourware I guess

^ Top  
  16. Doctor Sbaitso SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS. Patron

Doctor Sbaitso
    Forget a new engine. Mouselook and new content is all we need for UU.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...nderworld-and-the-freedom-to-make-bad-choices

• Brofist x 1
    • nice x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    UU is a classic that, sadly, would never be repeated. Now, what we have are Oblivion clones and Oblivion with guns and its clones.

I weep for the good old days.

*racks shotgun* Now, get off my lawn!

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. JBro Savant

JBro
    What all is still missing from the UU1 Unity port?

^ Top  
  20. calgary.alberta Scholar

calgary.alberta
    I have had troubles finding anything on this release for UU1 in Unity.

The Ultima facebook/scene seems obvious to it.

Even the link is hard to find:

https://github.com/hankmorgan/UnderworldExporter/releases

Release 1.03 - last time I check it was 1.02, so I have no idea.

1.1 Ultima Underworld 1 (UW1).
    UW1 is fully supported and can be completed from start to finish. Save games are both forward and backwardly compatable with the original dos version.

1.3 Ultima Underworld 2 (UW2)
    UW2 is partially supported with full support to come in time.
    -Game saves (loading of vanilla saves is possible)
    -Some traps and triggers are not implemented.
    -Many new conversation functions are not implemented
    -UW2 specific HUD is not implemented.

There is no change log shown, no detail information other then what is listed.

I have tested it, the game works, however does it work and can you beat it as compared to how it was?

Rather surprises me

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. JBro Savant

JBro
    So would that be a good first playthrough of 1? I don't want it to be missing anything major.

^ Top  
  22. calgary.alberta Scholar

calgary.alberta
    I would say no until we have more veterans that have looked into it. It would suck to waste that time only to find something majorly wrong.

That is just my option

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. McPlusle Learned

McPlusle
    The only issues with the GOG releases involve the dynamic music, right? Are both games still playable from start to finish?

^ Top  
  24. Doctor Sbaitso SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS. Patron

Doctor Sbaitso
    The gog music issue is correctable it's just a bad dosbox config. I can check out the unity port and let you know. I won't play the whole thing but can comment on faithfulness for the first level or two.

• Salute Salute x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. calgary.alberta Scholar

calgary.alberta
    Thanks.

I'm playing the original games on my old computer, I rather play on OG hardware vs emulation lol

However Unity is tempting :P

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.