Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima The Ultima Underworld I & II Thread

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I was waiting for that day to happen.
Wonder if infinite potions/scrolls trick works there too.
Now I can compare this personally with King's Field PS1 trilogy...

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I tried it for a bit but IMO the controls are atrocious. The "shoulder" buttons act as modifiers for the shape keys to do various actions and the assignment is weird (e.g. the circle button is used to tell you your current status and the right shoulder button + circle button opens the inventory - you certainly need the latter way more often than the former - and the jump button is assigned in two different modifiers, one being useless as the modifier also affects the dpad buttons). Also for whatever reason the game keeps telling you your status after several actions (actually i suspect this is a bug in that they didn't clear the button state after performing an action that needs confirmation - confirmation is done with the circle button - so the game immediately treats it as a "show me the status" command and probably why they put the status command to the circle button as that would be the least intrusive to accidentally enable, though that sounds like a hacky workaround for a bug they should have fixed in the first place).

On the other hand the higher resolution artwork, fullscreen viewport, lack of fisheye distortion and the fact that moving diagonally works as expected instead of the PC version forcing you into 15 degree or whatever increments that often have you walk slightly sideways instead of where you look at are all nice improvements. The 3D models look very King's Field-ish, though weirdly enough their animation, rotation and movement is done in "steps" as if they were 2D sprites instead of being smooth as you'd expect from using 3D models (it is like they simply replaced each 2D sprite frame with a 3D model and left it at that).

One thing i noticed is that enemies are more likely to drop to their deaths while trying to come to you.

Aside from these the conversion seems faithful, though i have the feeling that the English translation often used the PC version text as-is instead of doing a translation of the Japanese text.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Aside from these the conversion seems faithful, though i have the feeling that the English translation often used the PC version text as-is instead of doing a translation of the Japanese text.
Yes, they did, from the readme file:
Known bugs are that some character names exceed the graphics box and may write into the dialog strings.
Also, the linebreaks, while working nicely for readables and NPC dialog, do not work for shorter dynamic strings (put together at runtime), like item descriptions.
They may or may not wrap around ugly. This is also the case, when the player´s name is mentioned in a conversation.
This is expected behaviour and cannot be changed within the scope of this project.
Some skill names are too long and overlap with the skill value. This has been kept, to retain clarity regarding to the skill name.

For the most part, it was possible to transfer the text contents largely unchanged from the English version.
However, some strings had to be adapted for size reasons, either for ROMsize, or display size (Japanese strings are usually much shorter than English strings).
Most prominently, the Avatar´s replies in NPC conversiations have only 5 static lines with much fewer characters than in the PC version.
That is why the Avatar´s replies had to be edited down quite severely.
Dynamic strings were often altered, because the sentence construction/word order works differently in Japanese, and it had to be adapted for that.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The patch inspired me to install the PC version in DOSBox again and i forgot how nice it is to explore its environments. On the other hand i occasionally get that "problems in object list" error since Level 2 (this is the first time i make a character than can do magic, so i play it differently than the past) which is annoying as it seems to be a gamble if it will screw your inventory data and/or delete mission imporant items (the "object list" refers to *all* the objects in the level, not just your inventory) and there seem to be several causes (one with conflicting remedies - e.g. a common way to avoid it is to throw items in the water to delete them, but a developer who worked on the game mentioned in recent years that actually throwing items in the water can cause the issue and it is in fact how they found about it). From what i understand some are harmless (e.g. objects somehow losing their ownership info but still being around) and they can be fixed with some hex editing, but there is no way to tell apart the harmless from the harmful.

For now my approach is to simply circle through the save slots and move between levels back and forth before doing a save as the object list consistency check is done during level transitions (moving back and forth ensures both levels are checked and you aren't leaving a broken level for a good one or breaking a good level with the items you carry). Who had the idea to use a small static array for all level objects in a game where the player can move objects across levels and even new objects can be spawned? :-P

Regardless, it has been so long since i played the game that i have forgotten most about it. For example i had forgotten everything about the lizardmen and was thinking "did i even do this last time?" but then after solving the quests in there and moving to the next map i remembered the trolls, the fight with the chaos knight and the area he was in, the puzzle room with the switches, etc though i remember none of the details.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Just speaking from my perspective and memory, but a guaranteed way for me to get the error report was to stash all my belongings on the second floor (the king's bedroom, to be more precise).

Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom