Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima The Ultima Underworld I & II Thread

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I played 1 and 2 recently and the object list purging half my inventory bug is something I only encountered while playing UU2, despite them having upped the number of items allowed to coexist on a level in 2 from what it was in 1. In UU1 there's really no reason at all to hoard everything on one floor/area (other than just collecting autism, of which I am often guilty to some extent), there is almost nothing to spend gold on and the talismans you collect basically end up replacing half of the things you'd choose to hoard or buy from npcs. In UU2 you have the magic merchant who can recharge wands and identify shit in exchange for gold/jewels/treasure so it is way more worth it to lug around tons of crap there. It got to a point close to the end of the game where if I went up the ladder to castle British (where I would keep my loot all nicely packed away into boxes) I would be deleting half of the items on the level, thankfully though it's easily noticeable since half of your inventory (equipped items included) goes along with the stuff on the ground, so it's nothing loading a savegame from a minute ago can't fix. I ended up splitting my autistic loot hoard between the quick and easily accessible separate floors from castle British's main floor and that solved the problem.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
I think I must have developed autistic pack mule tendencies only after playing these games, because I never ran into the item/save corruption issue.

Cael

Arcane
I am a pack rat when I play RPGs, especially for things like gems/valuables and magic stuff. I have never run into that bug either.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Anvil of Dawn…. Rock collecting never felt so good. Ultima I think you can collect bones and skulls though.

UndeadHalfOrc

Novice
I am also a pack rat....

In Might and Magic 6 & 7 and Betrayal at Krondor, I store all my loot in chests. In MM6 I usually pick a dungeon's chests because they don't respawn until 2 years game time has passed. The best one IMHO is the bandit dungeon in Free Haven area just south of the city. In Krondor, my favorite one is the ARROW chest just north of Krondor.

In Might & Magic 2, 3, 4, 5, and 8, I dump all my loot on pack mules I created, and/or hirelings. In MM2, I also dump my gold on them because Leprechauns exist.

In Ultima Underworld, Eye of the Beholder, and Dark Sun games, I just dump my stuff on the floor in a central hub in neatly arranged piles. Yes, it's perfectly safe to do this in UUW1 as long as you destroy useless items.

In Baldur's Gate, I pick a random peasant home with tons of available shelves & drawers. I usually need to take a note to remember where, tough.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
You packrats should play the Gothic-games more often.

Infinite inventory.
No restrictions.

It can lead to some hilarious circumstances, though. I ended Gothic 1 with ~87.000 pieces of Magic Ore in my possession, which is enough to buy a good chunk of Myrtana. Yet somehow I lost all of that at the start of the sequel, and then the King only gets one chest's worth of Magic Ore after the Barrier collapsed? I could have ended the war with just the Magic Ore I had stashed in my pockets.

But some fancy-schmansies wanted to tell a story, so all that had to go...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom