Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Ultimate List of Arcanum's Easter Eggs

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
From a Troika dev. :)

Redeye

Arcane
The "eat drink and be merry" quote isn't just an American proverb, it's biblical.

Sounds like Epicureanism, but Epicurus didn't say it.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Gilbert Bates, the presumed inventor of the steam engine, who holds the monopoly on making steam engines, is a reference to Bill Gates of Microsoft.

some of these are just :facepalm:

Self-Ejected

Wilco

Self-Ejected
1207131103.jpg

Female09.jpg

I just realised Leni Riefenstahl looks like the Half-elf female portrait. Troika sure liked their Nazi references.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
hef2.png

Nah, don't think so. Also, keep in mind that almost all portraits are actually tracings, so unless you find a photo taken at the same angle/with the same expression/etc, we can't be sure if it was really the source. Additionally, some portraits were based on private photos, e.g. I remember Leonard mentioning in one of the chatlogs that a photo of his relative was used for one of the human portraits, so we may never find the original source for some of the portraits.
Wilco said:
Troika sure liked their Nazi references.
There are more Confederate references, actually.

filogreek

Scholar
I'm not sure if this has been discussed before and/or ignored, but another pop-culture reference might be:

Playing as an unintelligent character, I think you talk to the halfling(?) called Simon Plough who wants you to clear out the warehouse on the Tarantian docks, the one full of rats.
You can ask him something along the lines of 'Wot dat name again' during dialogue, he angrily yells 'THAT NAME AGAIN IS MISTER PLOUGH!'. This is a reference to the advertising jingle on the Simpsons when Homer started the Plow business.
I'm preeety sure that it is something like that, I haven't played a low-intelligence character in Arcanum for years. Someone try confirm this for me, it is only a vague memory and I just hope my brain didn't just make it up out of nothing (I can't seem to find any reference to it after a google search) :x

edit-
Ah good, found another confirmation from some other forum 3 years ago:

zellos
04-11-2006, 09:19 PM
ah i remember that game, in fact i still have it :D (gotta find it though)
the great thing about it though was that your speach was affected by your inteligence (or if you chose the "special person" background) and playing the game as an idiot yealeded some damn funny lines
eg. going to kill rats in plowghs warehouse.

half ogre player - uh.. waht you say name was?

plough - THAT NAME AGAIN IS MR.PLOUGH!

lol

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
Another game that somehow slipped under my radar. Should I play now, or later? And what are the best updates, patches, whatever to install? I still need to finish Bloodlines & Silent Hill 2. God I'm behind!

Wow. So recently that Drog was a well-liked and highly productive poster. Nice easter eggs, but I get the feeling that the popularity of these things has spawned a monster. Some developers seem to be so determined that all players will find and get the reference that they've stopped doing 'easter eggs' and started shoving them into the main campaign.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Wilco said:
Just in case anyone still gives a shit, I found another while randomly looking through old pictures on google:
ah0501001553_f2.jpg

This is a Daguerreotype of businessman Edward Knight Collins.

Male17.jpg

Source
I always thought that that was an unnatural expression, go figures.

deuxhero

Arcane
Drog Black Tooth said:
Added a few more references and a large section dedicated to the epitaphs found in Arcanum's cemeteries.

Annie Carlson said:
Also apparently there WERE Bloodlines developer quotes - Troika tradition - but Activision wouldn't let them get put in the game.
Interesting. Is that a rumor, or did you hear that from a Troika developer?

She's fucking the writer.

Something

Novice
Tarant figures as a pro-technology "empire" ("the Tarantian empire," as I think it's called in the game). This empire takes over and oppresses magical and "primitive" (superstitious) societies such as Dernholm's.

That part is obvious, but if you look at the names Tarant is quite close to "tyrant," and indeed the empire seems a bit aggressive. Looking at the name "Caladon," we can see that it resembles "Caledonia," an old word for Scotland. Thus Tarant seems partly inspired by the British Empire, and Caladon seems a rather clear reference to Scotland, which was for a long time a rather "civilized" place that nonetheless opposed British rule and oppression. Now things are more integrated, of course, and you have the option int he game of bringing Caladon in and under Tarant's wing, so to speak.

Just a random thing I realized. It makes the game that slight bit more interesting for me, as do many of the scattered references.

Something

Novice
I disagree, since Scotland is an original part of the United Kingdom, and in the game it is not yet part of the empire. I see this Empire as that of the late 16th Century, when there were distant "colonies" but not yet a true union between Scotland, Ireland [now just part of it], and England. But I suppose this is a small disagreement, and my thoughts on it aren't final. Regardless I thought it was interesting! And thanks for the thought.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
My point was, the official name of the country that Tarant is the capital of is "Unified Kingdom", which is an obvious reference to the UK, of course.

I think we discussed the real-life inspirations/references in Arcanum here before, and came to the conclusion that Tarant is obviously Britain, Caladon maybe Germany (as a new industrial nation that started out later than Tarant but now is quickly catching up in tech), Dernholm probably Russia (slow in industrializing, still very old-fashioned).

Obvious is that some of the races are parallels to real-world races: gnomes are jews (who control the government through a world-wide gnomish conspiracy) and orcs are blacks (factory slaves).

Something

Novice
Ah--I'd forgotten about the "Unified Kingdom" reference. I've just begun a new playthrough, actually, and I'm not far in this time. It's been a couple of years.

I agree that Caladon's somewhat foreign feel and actual distance from Tarant make Germany a better candidate than Scotland (as a counterpart to "Caladon") in many ways. I do like the Caladon-Caledonia connection, though, which makes Scotland an interesting part of the metaphor--for me at least. I guess that's my only contribution here, but I've learned a bit. Thanks Jarl.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
NPCFrank.png

It always annoyed me that I couldn't choose that portrait for my own character. :(
Indeed, this is my favorite portrait in both Arcanum or in games in general. Very monocle :obviously:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom