Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Valve and Steam Platform Discussion Thread

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Remote Play Together is now in beta: https://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/3032537193879549687

Introducing Steam Remote Play Together
Now In Beta for All

Introducing a new Steam feature that lets you play your
couch co-op games with friends over the internet, together.

9b43ea875ef47f6e39f7857583eb8bdab7b8da04.png

Now in Beta! With Remote Play Together, you can now invite Steam Friends to join your local co-op, local multiplayer, and shared/split screen games online. Up to four players, or even more in ideal conditions, can instantly join in the fun. Only the host needs to own and install the game, while additional players connect through Steam Remote Play streaming technology.

HERE'S HOW IT JUST WORKS

1. Launch your game.
Join Steam Beta, then launch any of your local multiplayer games.

2. Invite your friends.
From your Friends list in the Steam Overlay, select Remote Play Together. Once they accept...

3. You're playing together.

9f42009d15a776268595069af830ad445849aaf2.gif

Their controllers will act as if they're plugged directly into your computer, and all your voice chat and game volume options are available in one place.

To keep things simple, only the game is displayed to your Friends, never your desktop or other Top Secret stuff. You can share — or limit access to — the keyboard and mouse. It’s your choice.

WITH REMOTE PLAY TOGETHER NOW YOU CAN...
  • Play local multiplayer games with Steam Friends online
  • Stream video, audio, input, and voice between players
  • Use your own controllers, or share control of the keyboard & mouse
  • Play together across PC, Mac, and Linux

During the Beta we'll be improving network stability and compatibility across a variety of hardware. We're excited to hear feedback from you in our Discussion Forums.

So check out Steam's growing list of thousands of supported titles, join the Beta, and invite a friend to Play Together today!

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Somewhere, there are publisher seething over not having to sell multiple copies of the same game anymore in order to force online-only. Sure, Hamachi and other services have been simulating LAN over internet since forever, but Valve making it an official part of Steam is insane.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Somewhere, there are publisher seething over not having to sell multiple copies of the same game anymore in order to force online-only. Sure, Hamachi and other services have been simulating LAN over internet since forever, but Valve making it an official part of Steam is insane.
Wow. I was going to correct you but it actually says that only the host has to own the game. Interesting to see if this will get developer backlash or not.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Problem is you need good internet connection regardless because it's still remote play aka streaming video.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Remote play together... bah!

LAN parties were way cooler. Actual couches, actual beer and pizza, and actual body stink of HU-MANS.

'Sides, with remote play how in the hell am I going to punch Kevin when he steals my powerups or knocks me off my sniper ledge?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Remote play together... bah!

LAN parties were way cooler. Actual couches, actual beer and pizza, and actual body stink of HU-MANS.

'Sides, with remote play how in the hell am I going to punch Kevin when he steals my powerups or knocks me off my sniper ledge?
Go home grandpa.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
It's not really meant for a LAN party style.
More like 2 player mode.
Although I doubt streaming would translate into a smooth 2 player fighting game experience.

Sentinel

Arcane
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/SteamClientBeta/announcements/detail/1656688677563235889
Steam Client Beta - October 24, 2019
25 OCT @ 1:27AM - BOYD
The Steam Client Beta has been updated with the following changes:

Library
  • Added new ui to enable uploading screenshots to your Steam profile directly from the post-game summary and when viewing a full resolution screenshots.
  • You can now remove a free to play game from your library by right clicking on the game in the games list and choosing manage -> Remove From Library.
  • You can now add custom header and logo artwork to games in your library (and position the logo) by right clicking in the header area of a game details page.
  • Added context menu option on What’s New items to show more or less per-game

Remote Play Together
  • Fixed video locking up after Alt-Tab away from the streaming client
  • Show an error message if you try to invite someone while you’re set to Invisible
  • Fixed controller mouse input leaking through when host is alt-tabbed to the desktop
  • Fixed sending and accepting an invitation while in Big Picture mode
  • Fixed Big Picture interface being visible to the client
  • Corrected store page listings for dozens of games that have local multiplayer modes

Steam Input
  • Improve automatic conversions when applying configurations to different controller types – Steam Controllers will get grip bindings based on the A/X buttons and PS4 Controller trackpad’s will get bindings based on the option/share buttons.
  • Add a Screenshot binding to the Switch Pro controller capture button in the default templates – when applying a configuration from another controller type this binding will also be automatically be added.

General
  • Updated embedded Chromium build in Steam to 77.0.3865.90

Last edited:

Curratum

The library view is still having massive screen drawing issues, how the fuck it it coming out of beta?

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
The library view is still having massive screen drawing issues, how the fuck it it coming out of beta?

Try enabling GPU accelerated rendering under settings. That seems to have fixed library drawing issues for me.

Curratum

Try enabling GPU accelerated rendering under settings. That seems to have fixed library drawing issues for me.

Huh, is that a new option? I don't remember seeing that before. I saw some patch notes about something like that in the last beta update, but it said it was for Mac, so I assumed... Will look into it when I get home.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.pcgamesn.com/destiny-2/steam-review-edit

Steam asks user if they want to “revise” Destiny 2 review after 93 more hours

29 October 2019 Valve has confirmed the new feature is a result of developer feedback.

Steam is now asking players if they want to revise reviews they’ve written. A screengrab posted to Reddit shows the storefront politely asking the original poster if they would like to “revise” their review of Destiny 2: Shadowkeep, referencing the fact that they’ve played “an additional 93 hours” after offering their initial thoughts.

The details of how or when this new feature would be triggered are a little hazy. The sole example we have so far is that given by user PunnyCasual (see below). The notification clearly implies, though, that if you spend ‘enough’ hours in a game after your original review, Steam will prod you to ask if there is anything you’d like to change about your published opinion. It’s a pretty neat idea, and it would improve feedback for players shopping around for a new game. Valve UI designer Alden Kroll took to Twitter to confirm the feature was the result of developer feedback, writing: “Devs have been asking us for this for a while, but we first needed to build the new library before it made sense (technically) to add it.”

Steam has struggled to get user reviews right. The system has been so widely abused by players looking to register their annoyance at so many different issues – often with no relation to the quality of the game in question, such as perceived malpractice by its publisher – that a game’s overall user score isn’t always a reliable gauge of audience opinion of it.

But Valve has responded. Changes such as flagging recent trends in user score can help to identify this so-called ‘review bombing’ when it’s taking place, while the ability to filter reviews by playtime enables you to stipulate a ‘minimum time played’ for the reviews you want to see – if someone has only played Destiny 2 for an hour, their opinion may very well be useless to you.

I don’t know about you but I hope this new revising feature has become a normal part of Steam’s review process. For those who care enough to offer a fully considered opinion, it’s a neat little nudge to get them to improve the quality of their reviews – a system that seems especially worth implementing when DLC is an expected part of any triple-A game these days.

Oh yeah and by the way, the next Steam sales dates have been leaked. And if you are a Steam user, we have a list of the best free Steam games for you. Just thought you’d like to know.

Sentinel

Arcane
That's a good thing. Yesterday I was looking at a NWN EE Darknes over Daggerford negative review that was all about crashes. The dev replied and solved the user's problem, and the user said "Thanks. I'll update my review accordingly once the update gets pushed live!". Except he didn't, his review complaining about crashes with a negative rating is still there.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Also lab experiments getting updates:

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/SteamLabs/discussions/4/1609400247620034060/

Updates (2019-10-15): Sticky preferences, infiniscroll config, and bugfixes

G'day wonderful test subjects!

To keep you all up to date with what's changed in search, I'll be maintaining a changelog here. It will update it most Tuesdays as new features and bugfixes roll out. New entries will be added to the top.

A huge thank-you again for all your feedback, it really helps us prioritise what to work on next.

~ Paul

Tuesday 22 Oct 2019
  • Bugfix: Fixed search preferences not appearing on the store page for all users. (Thanks to JAXE for spotting this.)

Tue 15 Oct 2019
This week has focused on allowing persistent personal preferences to be set in search. If you've chosen to hide wishlist/library/ignored items, that will be remembered. If you don't want to use infinite scroll, that can also be configured.
  • Feature: Preferences for hiding in-library/wishlist/ignored items are retained between searches.
  • Feature: Infinite scroll can be disabled via the Store Preferences page.
  • Bugfix: A search returning zero results will now say so when Infiniscroll is enabled.
  • Bugfix: Fixed a regression where the loading animation would sometimes not be shown with infiniscroll.
All dates are in PDT (Seattle, Washington) time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom