Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Valve and Steam Platform Discussion Thread

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
and yet everyone expects some big traditional, singleplayer only Half-Life 3

Who?

Multiplayer means it's almost certainly not HL3.

I'm not even sure what your point is really.

If HL3 does ever come out, I'm sure you'll be correct about it not being single player though, after all the huge financial failures of NuDoom, the Assassin's Creed series and CP2077, single player games just aren't selling!

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
You forgot the GOTY 2020 already?

That was to push VR. I think the greater point is that Valve only care about games as technology advancements. That's why I put "traditional" in my comment about HL3. Everyone wants a normal Half Life 2 sequel and they have no interest in that.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Your point was about their focus on games as a service somehow meaning that they'd have no interest in releasing a single player HL3. Stop moving the goalposts.

It was a dumb point, but it's ok.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I put "traditional" in that post specifically to avoid Alyx being brought up, but okay. I don't know what world you're living in where Valve still has interest in making games like Half-Life 2 or even Portal, but I wished I lived in it too. I took your multiplayer despair as a signal we were thinking the same way, but I guess not.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
I put "traditional" in that post specifically to avoid Alyx being brought up, but okay. I don't know what world you're living in where Valve still has interest in making games like Half-Life 2 or even Portal, but I wished I lived in it too. I took your multiplayer despair as a signal we were thinking the same way, but I guess not.

You made your point in response to my disappointment that it was an upcoming multiplayer game.

Not in response to any claim by me about knowing exactly what their motivations are.

Half of the time you're a totally reasonable dude, then the other half you go off on yammering world weary rants about nonsense.

Is it dependent on your whiskey intake that day?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Valve's only focus is games as a service
or
Valve's latest release was a single player VR-only game.

"Valve has no interest in releasing a Half-Life 2 style game ever again."
So? Did you like HL2 so much?

I played through all SP Valve's games (except Alex) as well as hundreds of hours in Counter Strikes from 1.3 to GO, and at the same time I don't really care if they release another game ever again. Their games are fine, I have fun playing them and don't regret my purchases, but at the same time they are nothing to write home about. To be honest, the older I get the less interested I become in shooters and action games, so might as well skip their future releases altogether (except maybe Portal 3, Portals were cool action games). Therefore I don't care about what they release and if it's VR only or urmom only.

At the same time I kinda doubt there are that many HL series fans on 'dex. While the original HL was pretty cool at the time it released and with its atmosphere and story, HL2 dropped the ball and became just a physics & graphics show off. Do you really care that much about it?

All I want from Valve is to keep up the store, the community stuff on Steam (user reviews and steam forums are very useful to me) and keep out of the politics and other shit. They can abandon making games altogether, I won't think about it beyond reading news.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/steam-cracks-25m-concurrent-users-as-the-new-year-begins/

Steam cracks 25M concurrent users as the new year begins
Which is a large number, larger than other, previously reported numbers.

The big mark Steam has been building towards all year has been met: As of the morning of January 2nd, 2021, Steam's all-time peak concurrent connected user count broke the 25 million mark. To be precise, the high was 25,415,080 per the trackers over at SteamDB. It's a new high for a new year where clearly, more people than ever are playing PC games through the platform.

However, much like last month's record, the users reporting as in-game didn't manage to crack the record set in the last week of March this year. Some 8.1 million players were in-game in March, while just 7.4 million were in games today. That said, today's goal continues the trend of Valves free-to-play games leading the way, with CS:GO reporting more than a million, per usual, while Dota 2 neared 700k and PUBG cleared 400k. Singleplayer games like Cyberpunk 2077 and Stardew Valley both contributed in the top 10 among perennially popular games like GTAV and Rust.

With this barrier cracked, it seems like Steam's numerical exploits are becoming more "inevitability" than "news." I'll get back to you when Steam reaches something like 30 million players, or maybe when it cracks 10 million players online and in-game. With 2021 shaping up to be a year where people will stay indoors and work from home to be better safe than sorry, we might just get there sooner than we'd like.

Sorry in advance for jinxing it!

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
upload_2021-1-4_7-30-49.png

:abyssgazer:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
According to the latest article I could find the normal Steam is not banned in China, so I would assume most of them see no need to move over to the government sanctioned one. I'd guess that will change eventually, one way or the other.

Either way Gaben gonna get them Chinese dollars.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
SteamDB's new things.

(Payday 2 has the most followers likely because they did giveaways for people who joined the community group.)

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
SteamDB's new things.

This is one of those confusingly absent features I would've expected Steam to have years ago. I guess it's in Valve's interest to nudge you more towards browsing theeir store as a whole, and buy shit you don't want, rather than pinpoint DLC for what you already have so you can buy just that and leave.

Latelistener

Arcane
(Payday 2 has the most followers likely because they did giveaways for people who joined the community group.)
It has community content (like weapons for example), which will be unlocked only if you follow the group. It will also lock back again if you leave it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom