Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Valve and Steam Platform Discussion Thread

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
did they add a way to ignore all chinese games yet?

If you find a way to do this, please let me know. I'm tired of looking at all their shovelware bullshit that seems to have taken over the site.
a ridiculous amount of them look identical to this
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1578810/_/
what am I even looking at here?
ss_6fc5c67299cf2bb0f18988997df6e8c64f0b88e9.1920x1080.jpg

This looks like Heroes 3 mod :lol:

Sentinel

Arcane
Valve continues its struggle to free PC games from Microsoft/Windows

Valve Enables Experimental Nvidia DLSS Support For DirectX 12 in Proton

By Aleksandar Kostovic 01 October 2021

Full Steam ahead!
Comments (7)
xAAUDpppoCdhZUJJwLd7wT-320-80.jpg

(Image credit: Valve)

Valve, the company behind the highly-anticipated Steam Deck handheld console, has posted an update (via Phoronix) for both the standard and experimental Proton compatibility layers that allow Windows games to run on Linux. The experimental version supports Nvidia Deep Learning Super Sampling (DLSS) in DirectX 12 games, while the regular version broadens support to more game titles.

Valve's Steam Deck console runs Arch Linux. It uses the Proton compatibility layer to translate Windows-specific API calls to Linux API calls, thus allowing Windows games to work in Linux. This latest experimental update will benefit Linux gamers in general, but it will also benefit the Steam Deck tremendously.

Valve also pushed changes to the Proton Experimental branch that supports Nvidia's DLSS technology in DirectX 12 games. Previously, Valve only used the DLSS function in games that ran on the Vulkan API. However, Valve's experimental support now allows DirectX 12 games to run DLSS without a problem, and it will arrive in the stable Proton branch after further testing.

To get this to run, you'll need to compile the latest version of the Proton Experimental branch, install the latest Nvidia drivers, and set the "PROTON_ENABLE_NVAPI=1" environment variable.

Valve updated the DXVK part of Proton's stable branch to version 1.9.2. Game support has also expanded to additional titles like Life is Strange: True Colors, Quake Champions and eFootball 2022, to name a few.

All of this work hints at better Proton compatibility and a smooth user experience when Valve starts shipping its Steam Deck gaming console to the masses in December. Updated Proton software will allow both the Steam Deck and Steam on Linux to support many more games.

jimster

Educated
Valve continues its struggle to free PC games from Microsoft/Windows

Valve Enables Experimental Nvidia DLSS Support For DirectX 12 in Proton

By Aleksandar Kostovic 01 October 2021

Full Steam ahead!
Comments (7)
xAAUDpppoCdhZUJJwLd7wT-320-80.jpg

(Image credit: Valve)

Valve, the company behind the highly-anticipated Steam Deck handheld console, has posted an update (via Phoronix) for both the standard and experimental Proton compatibility layers that allow Windows games to run on Linux. The experimental version supports Nvidia Deep Learning Super Sampling (DLSS) in DirectX 12 games, while the regular version broadens support to more game titles.

Valve's Steam Deck console runs Arch Linux. It uses the Proton compatibility layer to translate Windows-specific API calls to Linux API calls, thus allowing Windows games to work in Linux. This latest experimental update will benefit Linux gamers in general, but it will also benefit the Steam Deck tremendously.

Valve also pushed changes to the Proton Experimental branch that supports Nvidia's DLSS technology in DirectX 12 games. Previously, Valve only used the DLSS function in games that ran on the Vulkan API. However, Valve's experimental support now allows DirectX 12 games to run DLSS without a problem, and it will arrive in the stable Proton branch after further testing.

To get this to run, you'll need to compile the latest version of the Proton Experimental branch, install the latest Nvidia drivers, and set the "PROTON_ENABLE_NVAPI=1" environment variable.

Valve updated the DXVK part of Proton's stable branch to version 1.9.2. Game support has also expanded to additional titles like Life is Strange: True Colors, Quake Champions and eFootball 2022, to name a few.

All of this work hints at better Proton compatibility and a smooth user experience when Valve starts shipping its Steam Deck gaming console to the masses in December. Updated Proton software will allow both the Steam Deck and Steam on Linux to support many more games.

For some reason that article strongly suggests that this will somehow benefit the deck, but it of course doesn't support DLSS... It does support FSR though.
I really <3 Valve for what they're doing for PC gaming. Of the big three (MS, Epic, and Valve), they're the most virtuous. GOG is important for DRM-free but they haven't even been able to stick to their guns... CD Projekt's had a lot of misses recently, huh.

Sentinel

Arcane
https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2021/...ly-going-into-the-linux-kernel-to-help-gaming
Looks like the important futex2 work is finally going into the Linux Kernel to help gaming

After a long bumpy road with many revisions, it appears that the futex2 work sponsored by Valve is finally heading into the upstream Linux Kernel. Initially much larger, the work was slimmed down to get the main needed parts done and enabled before the rest can make it in.

So what is it? As developer André Almeida previously described it: "The use case of this syscall is to allow low level locking libraries to wait for multiple locks at the same time. This is specially useful for emulating Windows' WaitForMultipleObjects. A futex_waitv()-based solution has been used for some time at Proton's Wine (a compatibility layer to run Windows games on Linux). Compared to a solution that uses eventfd(), futex was able to reduce CPU utilization for games, and even increase frames per second for some games. This happens because eventfd doesn't scale very well for a huge number of read, write and poll calls compared to futex. Native game engines will benefit of this as well, given that this wait pattern is common for games.".

Speaking on Twitter, Valve developer Pierre-Loup Griffais said "It's amazing news that futex_waitv() seems to be on its way to the upstream kernel! Many thanks to the continued efforts of our partners at Collabora, CodeWeavers, and to the upstream community.".

Ideally then this will help Windows games in Proton on Linux run better. But that's not all!

Also interesting is the follow-up post from Griffais that mentions "Beyond Wine/Proton, we are also excited to bring those multi-threaded efficiency gains to Linux-native game engines and applications through some variant of the following primitive, pending more discussion with the glibc community:" with a link to some glibc work.

seco

Educated
>kills non linear fps and dynamic storytelling
>unskippable cutscenes
>scripting and linear corridor level design
>realism
>lame weapons and ai
>no agency
>proto-cod
Why do you like it again?
Quake and Doom have better sandboxy gameplay and immersive sims better storytelling.

thelegend

Learned
Doom is a superior game than Half life. But it is itself a replica of wolf 3d.
Doom - Hell garbage wolf 3d - Hitler garbage
Quake 2 has more cutscenes than Half life. Half life takes control from the player only one time i remeber.
It took the concepts of doom and make it more explorable. it was nice to get help from security guards. Puzzles were better in Half life and you use the environment to solve it while Doom was only about combat.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
It always amuses me that there are some people on the Codex that blame Valve for killing the traditional FPS.

Valve did the set piece FPS well. It isn't their fault that others copied it badly.

Blame the bad imitators, not the originator.

seco

Educated
The problem is that set piece FPS is bad design.
It's objectively inferior to older shooters.
This is not arguable unless you want to defend decline.

Buddy of mine's got one of those 8bitdo SNES pads with joysticks and swears by it for emulation. Sounded nice but they are pretty pricey. Nothing to do with Valve but that company's name rang a bell.

:kingcomrade:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Didn't know it was a thing.
From what people said NTF games are combining worst plagues - lootboxes, microtransactions (macro really) and pay2win.

https://www.howtogeek.com/761782/valve-now-bans-steam-games-using-blockchain-nft-or-crypto/

As of October 15, 2021, Valve lists “Applications built on blockchain technology that issue or allow exchange of cryptocurrencies or NFTs” as items you “shouldn’t publish on Steam” on an official support page for game developers.
This policy change came to light when SpacePirate Games, the developer of Age of Rust (a game that offers NFTs), tweeted that Valve would be kicking existing blockchain games off the Steam platform.
While it sounds like the developer has communicated with Valve regarding NFT-based games on Steam, it looks like Valve has made its decision.
“While I’m disappointed for Age of Rust being removed, the point is more to the fact that Blockchain games as [a] whole are going to be removed. This is [a] setback for all,” the company said in a follow-up tweet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sentinel

Arcane
BattlEye anti-cheat confirms Steam Deck support

By Andy Chalk 21 days ago

BattlEye, which is used in games including Destiny 2 and PUBG, said today that it will run on Proton on Valve's handheld.
BJfVmrdMrhTwc558dPA2Gc-320-80.jpg

(Image credit: Bungie)

Epic Games announced yesterday that Easy Anti-Cheat now has native support for Linux and MacOS, and also works with Wine and Proton, the compatibility layers used to run Windows programs on Linux. The practical effect is that any game using Easy Anti-Cheat, like Apex Legends, Day by Daylight, and Halo, should run just fine on the Steam Deck at launch.

Not to be outdone, BattlEye announced today that it too will run on Steam Deck software out of the gate.

BattlEye has provided native Linux and Mac support for a long time and we can announce that we will also support the upcoming Steam Deck (Proton). This will be done on an opt-in basis with game developers choosing whether they want to allow it or not.

This is important. as we explained in August, anti-cheat software for many online games has struggled with Proton, and if the anti-cheat doesn't run then neither will any game that relies on it. BattlEye compatibility opens the door to a number of very popular online games on the Steam Deck, including Ark: Survival Evolved, Arma 3, Destiny 2, Fortnite, PUBG, Rainbow Six Siege, and Survarium.

I'm not entirely clear what being "done on an opt-in basis" means—I mean, I know what "opt-in basis" means, I just don't understand why a developer would not want their game to support BattlEye and thus not run on Steam Deck. I've emailed Battleeye for clarification.

ADL

Prophet
Has there ever been a decent argument for the blockchain meme in video games? I don't really understand blockchain so I'll reserve judgement but NFTs are cancerous garbage for retards.

Good news Epicbros

Last edited:
https://www.makeuseof.com/what-is-crypto-gaming/
The decentralized bit with the forking possibilities could be interesting, but I don't know how much of that is viable right now because the target public has to care about both cryptocurrency and videogames. I think Valve doesn't want the bother when they already have their own magic internet money system. Epic is interested though, they likely see it as an opporunity to offer something Steam doesn't.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/10/15/22728425/valve-steam-blockchain-nft-crypto-ban-games-age-of-rust

Steam is one of the most well-known PC game stores, but it’s not the only one. While Epic’s CEO Tim Sweeney has said that the company isn’t interested in touching NFTs, that policy doesn’t seem to apply to games in its store: Epic told The Verge that it’s “open” to the idea of games that use NFTs or cryptocurrencies in an email on Friday.

Codex Year of the Donut
Seems like more cryptoshekel gobbledygook that will end up making one person rich(and it ain't you.)
A big difference between this and say, selling game skins, is that in the former the transactions are tied directly to the developer who could pull the rug out at any moment. Doesn't seem like a position you'd want to be in as a person who may carry some liability(depending on jurisdiction for sure.)

The thing is, I don't really see the benefit of the blockchain buzzword. Exactly what is it accomplishing that couldn't be accomplished otherwise?
If you want to argue the user somehow "owns" a virtual item via NFT you have to remember it's still tied directly to the developer's game. Without the game, it is useless, and it can still be taken away from you at any time by the developer modifying the game. The same scenario that would allow a virtual item to be transferred via NFT could be equally represented without a big data hyperloop blockchain.

Am I missing something?

ADL

Prophet
I can see the appeal of an open ledger in theory but when you consider the fact that anything that would need this sort of user-based entitlement would be reliant on closed-source servers, who gives a shit?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom