Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Valve and Steam Platform Discussion Thread

Peachcurl

Cipher
Good, because loot boxes are evil.

Bad, because the people who bought them are stupid, and the only ones who profit in the end are lawyers et al.

Last edited:

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Damn, and I have issues refunding a game that went past the 2-hour limit at times.
I had issues with Starship troopers. The anti cheat would launch but the game never would. I never got to play the game but for some reason Steam said I had it open for 10 fucking hours because I was trying various fixes to get it to work. Couldn't refund a game I couldn't play ffs.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
It's happening.
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/593110/view/3901870709962551195

Shopping Cart updates and Private Games
Starting today, users who have opted into the Steam Client Beta will see a new version of the shopping cart when checking out on the Steam Store. These users will also be able to mark games in their library as private.

Shopping Cart Updates
The Steam Store's updated shopping cart includes some handy new features:
  • Inline gifting
    - just in time for the holidays, you can now purchase gifts for multiple friends (and yourself) without having to make multiple purchases. Plus gift messaging has been simplified to speed up the checkout process.
  • One cart across all devices
    - items in your shopping cart will now follow you across all devices where you're signed in to Steam. Note that during the beta, the cart will only be accessible within the beta client.
  • Private purchasing
    - keeping your games private starts before you even make a purchase, so the new cart lets you mark a game as private before you check out.

3d1e71c371836275ef5765014f1ef11ffb0b06ed.png

Private Games
Steam has long supported multiple levels of privacy for your Steam profile and your entire games list. However, there are times when you might want to keep a few of the games you own off those lists.

Starting today you’ll be able to mark specific games as private and they’ll disappear from anywhere they’d be viewed by someone other than you. That includes: your ownership, in-game status, playtime, and activity in that game. This additional control allows you to keep most of your Steam Library visible to your friends, so they can see what you are playing and join in, yet also keep a few of those games just to yourself.

How do I mark a game as private?
There are three places where a game can be marked as private: from your shopping cart, your game list (which is accessible from a web browser), and from your Steam Client Library (Game page > Settings > Manage...)

You can learn more about private games on the FAQ

We've got more checkout related updates in the works, so make sure to send us your feedback and report bugs.

ds

Cipher
Patron
Apparently Valve have better taste than most codexers if they see BG3 as something you might not want to admit to playing.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://store.steampowered.com/news/group/4145017/view/3862463747997849618

AI Content on Steam

Back in June, we shared that while our goal continues to be shipping as many games as possible on Steam, we needed some time to learn about the fast-moving and legally murky space of AI technology, especially given Steam's worldwide reach.

Today, after spending the last few months learning more about this space and talking with game developers, we are making changes to how we handle games that use AI technology. This will enable us to release the vast majority of games that use it.

First, we are updating the Content Survey that developers fill out when submitting to Steam. The survey now includes a new AI disclosure section, where you'll need to describe how you are using AI in the development and execution of your game. It separates AI usage in games into two broad categories:

• Pre-Generated: Any kind of content (art/code/sound/etc) created with the help of AI tools during development. Under the Steam Distribution Agreement, you promise Valve that your game will not include illegal or infringing content, and that your game will be consistent with your marketing materials. In our pre-release review, we will evaluate the output of AI generated content in your game the same way we evaluate all non-AI content - including a check that your game meets those promises.
  • Live-Generated: Any kind of content created with the help of AI tools while the game is running. In addition to following the same rules as Pre-Generated AI content, this comes with an additional requirement: in the Content Survey, you'll need to tell us what kind of guardrails you're putting on your AI to ensure it's not generating illegal content.

Valve will use this disclosure in our review of your game prior to release. We will also include much of your disclosure on the Steam store page for your game, so customers can also understand how the game uses AI.

Second, we're releasing a new system on Steam that allows players to report illegal content inside games that contain Live-Generated AI content. Using the in-game overlay, players can easily submit a report when they encounter content that they believe should have been caught by appropriate guardrails on AI generation.

Today's changes are the result of us improving our understanding of the landscape and risks in this space, as well as talking to game developers using AI, and those building AI tools. This will allow us to be much more open to releasing games using AI technology on Steam. The only exception to this will be Adult Only Sexual Content that is created with Live-Generated AI - we are unable to release that type of content right now.

It's taken us some time to figure this out, and we're sorry that has made it harder for some developers to make decisions around their games. But we don't feel like we serve our players or developer partners by rushing into decisions that have this much complexity. We'll continue to learn from the games being submitted to Steam, and the legal progress around AI, and will revisit this decision when necessary.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It was inevitable that they were going to allow AI content.
Enforcing any sort of blanket ban would've been impossible.
It wasn't a blanket ban before either.
It was allowed with an explicit stipulation: the AI must be trained exclusively on content that has been appropriately licensed, whether public domain or otherwise.

Legally, AI is most likely thought of as a tool not too dissimilar to say a code compiler.
With such a tool, they transfer copyright from input to output; they don't strip it nor add their own.
AI is probably in the same position, any output it produces is an unholy amalgamation of copyrights from everything it has ever been trained on.
There's probably argument for some significant wiggle room, as the output is generally not deterministic.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
This is just steam right?

Total gross revenue from game sales (excluding microtransactions) grew by 17.8% in 2023. This comes after several years of flat revenues as the games industry was recovering from the COVID boom.
This makes the numbers really misleading. The big selling titles are all single player games but that's only because the microtransaction games aren't being included in the figures. GTA online could be making 10 times the profit Bear fucking is and the chart doesn't tell us that.

14,000 games released in a year is insane. You would need to play and beat 38 games a day to keep up with just this years releases. Also explains why it's so hard to find anything good on Steam. So much shovelware that should be filtered out and isn't. Does Steam even have a page for just today's new releases or is it all the abstract shit like most popular still?

https://store.steampowered.com/news/group/4145017/view/3862463747997849618

AI Content on Steam

Back in June, we shared that while our goal continues to be shipping as many games as possible on Steam, we needed some time to learn about the fast-moving and legally murky space of AI technology, especially given Steam's worldwide reach.

Today, after spending the last few months learning more about this space and talking with game developers, we are making changes to how we handle games that use AI technology. This will enable us to release the vast majority of games that use it.

First, we are updating the Content Survey that developers fill out when submitting to Steam. The survey now includes a new AI disclosure section, where you'll need to describe how you are using AI in the development and execution of your game. It separates AI usage in games into two broad categories:

• Pre-Generated: Any kind of content (art/code/sound/etc) created with the help of AI tools during development. Under the Steam Distribution Agreement, you promise Valve that your game will not include illegal or infringing content, and that your game will be consistent with your marketing materials. In our pre-release review, we will evaluate the output of AI generated content in your game the same way we evaluate all non-AI content - including a check that your game meets those promises.
  • Live-Generated: Any kind of content created with the help of AI tools while the game is running. In addition to following the same rules as Pre-Generated AI content, this comes with an additional requirement: in the Content Survey, you'll need to tell us what kind of guardrails you're putting on your AI to ensure it's not generating illegal content.

Valve will use this disclosure in our review of your game prior to release. We will also include much of your disclosure on the Steam store page for your game, so customers can also understand how the game uses AI.

Second, we're releasing a new system on Steam that allows players to report illegal content inside games that contain Live-Generated AI content. Using the in-game overlay, players can easily submit a report when they encounter content that they believe should have been caught by appropriate guardrails on AI generation.

Today's changes are the result of us improving our understanding of the landscape and risks in this space, as well as talking to game developers using AI, and those building AI tools. This will allow us to be much more open to releasing games using AI technology on Steam. The only exception to this will be Adult Only Sexual Content that is created with Live-Generated AI - we are unable to release that type of content right now.

It's taken us some time to figure this out, and we're sorry that has made it harder for some developers to make decisions around their games. But we don't feel like we serve our players or developer partners by rushing into decisions that have this much complexity. We'll continue to learn from the games being submitted to Steam, and the legal progress around AI, and will revisit this decision when necessary.
Sounds reasonable. Don't do illegal shit and try to sell it on Steam. Don't let your game generate CP and giving players a way to report it. Doubt it will do games much good but it's at least a reasonable stance from Valve.

Latelistener

Arcane
Seems like Valve is doing everything for Steam Deck, but the PC Steam client is in dire state.

Slow and clunky UI (especially overlay), constant Steamwebhelper crashes and broken Screenshot Manager.

I wish I had my own personal cuckold army on Twatter or somewhere else so they would fuck them up. No one is writing about this.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Seems like Valve is doing everything for Steam Deck, but the PC Steam client is in dire state.

Slow and clunky UI (especially overlay), constant Steamwebhelper crashes and broken Screenshot Manager.

I wish I had my own personal cuckold army on Twatter or somewhere else so they would fuck them up. No one is writing about this.
The screenshot manager is busted but never had crash or slowdowns and i think the new overlay is pretty good.

The overlay browser has improved drastically compared to before the beta (i wish they can have addons like ublock origin or any ad blockers)

The notepad is very useful.

Latelistener

Arcane

The screenshot manager is busted but never had crash or slowdowns and i think the new overlay is pretty good.

The overlay browser has improved drastically compared to before the beta (i wish they can have addons like ublock origin or any ad blockers)

The notepad is very useful.
I had to delete all my screenshots on Steam for it to crash less. I had about 2-3k collected for the last several years. Usually people have a lot more.

The old Screenshot Manager never caused any crashes.

I can tell you whoever was working on the previous iteration of the UI doesn't work at Valve anymore.

Now I see the Steam message about the Steamwebhelper crash on a daily / weekly basis.

I never saw that in my 10+ years on Steam even when I had a garbage PC that could barely run modern games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom