Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Video Game Music Thread

Shadenuat

Arcane
Overwhelming majority of jrpg music in this nippon-hating den, is their music just superior or are they willing to invest more money in it?

Music from the lowest of JRPG's often is more memorable than music from B+ or even A+ western products. They use more instruments and genres, and support diffirent situations with distinctive music. It kinda works with the game, not like in western games where usually they just slap some EPICDRUMSANDCHORUS like a label and it plays on itself like a random shuffle from your MP3 player.
And, well, everybody knows that guys like M. Morgan, A. Brandon or J. Soul are good. Nothing new can be said about 'em...

made

Arcane
Nattvardsvin said:
Albion has awesome melodies and background sounds
You think? SFX are decent but there's not one memorable tune in the entire soundtrack. A total letdown considering the same guy wrote the outstanding Ambermoon score.

Nattvardsvin

Learned
made said:
Nattvardsvin said:
Albion has awesome melodies and background sounds
You think? SFX are decent but there's not one memorable tune in the entire soundtrack. A total letdown considering the same guy wrote the outstanding Ambermoon score.

Yeah I actually love the tunes in Albion. I have no real explanation to why, I just find them really memorable.
That background piano in the world map music is so groovy. :M

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Shadenuat said:
Overwhelming majority of jrpg music in this nippon-hating den, is their music just superior or are they willing to invest more money in it?

Music from the lowest of JRPG's often is more memorable than music from B+ or even A+ western products. They use more instruments and genres, and support diffirent situations with distinctive music. It kinda works with the game, not like in western games where usually they just slap some EPICDRUMSANDCHORUS like a label and it plays on itself like a random shuffle from your MP3 player.
And, well, everybody knows that guys like M. Morgan, A. Brandon or J. Soul are good. Nothing new can be said about 'em...

Dumb. Also go fuck yourself - JRPGs have some of the worst music my ears have even been assaulted with, including music hopeless dumbfucks call good.

There are even fans of things like Valkyrie Profile music... the horror.
And just to think of what Atlus shat out and called music in the STM series...

thesoup

Arcane
Don't feel like reading through all the pages so I'll just mention my favorite ones. I'll stretch the definition of RPGs for the purpose of listing these tracks.

- pretty much the entire OST from Deus Ex. I just love it. Listen to it almost every day.
- PS:T OST. Great and really sets the tone of the game.
- Anachronox has some good tracks. I like the main theme. I should really pick up where I left in this game.
- FFVI's main theme is pretty cool.
- DAO main theme is preety good.
- TWitcher had some good tracks which set up the mood well.
- Chrono Trigger has great music, like Corridors of Time and the battle theme, which was my ringtone for a good while. In general, a good OST.

I know I'm probably missing a lot of tracks and OSTs I can't remember right now, but oh well.
Some noteworthy non-RPG games with good music:
- The Neverhood
- The Monkey Island Series
- most GTA games
- probably a fuckton more which I can't remember right now

Shadenuat

Arcane
SCO, it may not be as complicated and expensive, but it frequently complements gameplay well. Can't say anything about Valkyrie Profile cause I never played it, is't it like the hardest to buy PS RPG ever after Suikoden?

Also, suck my dick. You are no man if you can't endure tearful japanese girls singing about their dreams and stuff :3

Executer

Phrenologist
Project: Eternity
All these kickstarters have made me relive some nice tunes from games. Looking on youtube though for great game music leads to a deluge of JRPG music, half of which belongs to the final fantasy franchise. So i've turned to the codex for a more discerning/monocled and most importantly varied opinoin of great game music.

I'll get the ball rolling.

Gray Matter; Main Theme

Gabriel Knight 3; Nocturne

Grim Fandango; Manny & Meche

Would love to hear more great game music (old 8-bit stuff is totally welcome to my ears as well), opinions or cries of anger to my seeming slight against JRPGs, whatever gives you your jollies.

circ

Arcane
Something newer.

Los Gatosalamancha La Balduro y Guitarra

Atleast its got the music going for it. And that's about it. Oh shit I called the rest of it shit, you gonna cry now Vaarne? Ehkä mutsis antaa maitoo ja pullaa.

Wyrmlord

Arcane

Agree with this choice.

But just one thing. With me forcing myself through Morrowind recently, I just can't help but feel like I have heard the entire track before. Jeremy Soule sounds the exact same in some of his games, and the resemblance between parts of the NWN soundtrack and the Morrowind soundtrack is stunning. I swear, I once double-checked several tracks of Soule until I found two tracks from different games that sounded almost exactly the same.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom