Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Video Game Music Thread

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz

I am loving the percussion and deep reverb/delay parts on this one, starting at 01:10.

Wyrmlord

Arcane

Daggerfall has some kick ass music. Especially on a Sound Canvas.

What is even more surprising is that many of the tracks, including the one you posted, are from Arena and not Daggerfall. Meaning they achieved such quality BEFORE starting any big budget high profile venture.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
What is even more surprising is that many of the tracks, including the one you posted, are from Arena and not Daggerfall. Meaning they achieved such quality BEFORE starting any big budget high profile venture.

I have no idea what you are talking about. That is one of the MIDI songs that is directly ripped from the MIDI.BSA file from Daggerfall.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Yeah, the exact same song was also used in Arena. A couple other songs and a bunch of themes from Daggerfall were also used in Arena. It's pretty cool and I wish more games did it.

But Soule is a genius. All of that is like complaining that Mozart composed too much, accepted the money on too many occasions. Well, maybe he needed the money; and he still composed great music regardless of any pressure or similarities.

You don't like the similarities? So don't listen to them all then. The result is as if he hadn't composed them.

I don't know about the specific conditions under which Mozart composed but I am sure some of them were less than ideal. I would only suggest composing less if it allowed someone to compose other pieces to a higher standard. I like Soule (genius is a bit much, although it is a relative term) but he is often lazy and it takes away from his reputation as a composer for me. As someone who truly respects music, I don't have much appreciation for such a decision.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer

It's unbelievable what they were able to accomplish on the C64 and all of the old sound chips. It's just amazing when the arpeggio and bass start at 1:06.

This cat is out o f control!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C64 chillwave from 1985.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I have no idea what you are talking about. That is one of the MIDI songs that is directly ripped from the MIDI.BSA file from Daggerfall.
Daggerfall recycled several Arena tunes, I think that's what he was on about. Not sure if this is one of them, as it's been a while since I played Arena.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Yeah, I just meant to say that they achieved that kind of soundtrack quality when they were still a relatively small time studio developing Arena - since many of those tracks in Arena were also used in Daggerfall.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Needs more japfaggotry.

Honestly, Noboeueueueu Uematsu did his some of his best work after leaving square

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Too much good stuff from Command & Conquer series.

So..here's another fav I hardly hear about

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Me and Jasede theme song <3

The MT-32 sounds are just... man.

Erana's Peace. This was such a good a game. We had so many great games when we were young, man. There's never going to be a PC gaming time like we got to enjoy. Erana's Peace is perfect to express that: all the gratitude of having been part of this era, all the sorrow that it won't come back and a looming, slightly worry-tempered hope that more and different things may yet loom beyond the horizon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom