Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Video Game Music Thread

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
No, it doesn't. Unless you managed to touch a girl in her private parts with it, if you know what I mean.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
The TES Arena soundtrack has some glints of genius (particularly the passage that begins at 0:32):

Indeed.

This track played when I was in a snowing city in Skyrim trying to find Labyrinthian. At that moment, the impact was so strong that I realized this game was going to be one of my all time favourites.

lightbane

Arcane
And now, for something completely different, have Black Sigil: A pretty obscure NDS jrpg that intentionally has the same style of "old" rpgs such as Chrono Trigger. Also, the main character is not a hopeless retard nor a spiky-haired kid with an oversized sword.

The best part? Actually it is NOT a Jrpg, as it was made by a Western developer :troll:

Nomask Alt

Arbiter
Why is it so rare to have a game with the vocalised main music theme?

Post some more examples if you know of (sport games does not count, e.g., FIFA, Tony Hawk etc.)
The main theme from Two Worlds is an actual song made for the game, and it's good too.

Chateaubryan

Cipher
Nier's got a hell of an OST. With vocals.

Sadly, the gameplay is horrible. Apparently the story is interesting enough to justify finishing it, but I couldn't bring myself to go far.

Extase on Amiga. Watch the left part of the screen.

One of Digital Devil Saga's boss theme.

Fatal Fury : Real Bout have a surprisingly exceptional orchestral soundtrack.

Malpercio

Arcane
Some god-tier pieces from the wapanese musician Mitsuda.

And now some kawaii god-tier pieces from some random wapanese composers!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The Two Worlds song reminded me of another potato game, Polanie 2. This thingy is in the main menu, and it's p cool:

Machocruz

Arcane
The beauty of Divine Divinity's music took me by surprise when I finally got around to playing it 2 years ago. Made it a joy to travel through its world, and some of the tracks have become as memorable to me as anything I've heard and enjoyed in 30 years of gaming.

An equally underrated game and OST

^I love that one, even though I've read it's mostly gibberish made to sound cool and ominous, like Sephiroth's theme.

...suddenly, Dire Dire Docks. If you dislike this, you might want to check your throat for any dicks you might be choking on atm

DarthBehemoth

Learned
^I love that one, even though I've read it's mostly gibberish made to sound cool and ominous, like Sephiroth's theme.

...suddenly, Dire Dire Docks. If you dislike this, you might want to check your throat for any dicks you might be choking on atm

Ah. that music suddenly reminded me of this...

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
When it comes to Rayman 2 music, nothing beats the Teensies theme. It's so gud I have it as my phone ringtone :thumbsup:

I acknowledge your musical choice and I raise you one

Well, I guess it's a staple for all 40k games to have gud musix :M

Gerrard

Arcane
Why is it so rare to have a game with the vocalised main music theme? Why is the music in games so dull? Don't get me wrong, I love scores from Torment, Homeworld, Myth and couple of others which I forgot. But, sometimes you'd like that it would go beyond the ramifications of "game soundtrack". I am talking especially about the main theme that would be heard in the main menu.
Japanese games have vocal themes all the time :troll:

Also tend to have much more interesting soundtracks. Recently I've been listening to the soundtracks from the Atelier series, the Arland trilogy in particular, and they made me realize just how incredibly boring the soundtracks in most western games have become.

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
"Western" games had interesting OSTs when they were made by scene group members AND before the studios began to think they're holywood.

I would like a reference to where you saw this, if you have one. The consonants (from sampled libraries rather than a choir recording) sound too awkward to be something you would put together just because of how it sounds, especially the S and SH. My guess is they are latin words and phrases arranged in a mostly generic way, but which technically do or did have a meaning at some point (when they were recorded). I have always been curious about it with the DoW2 songs, and I assumed they were real lyrics simply because I don't think it is that much an ask to have real lyrics written for the songs. I make sure to write real lyrics for long phrases like these

Well, I guess it's a staple for all 40k games to have gud musix :M

I imagine it has a lot to do with the way that a setting like 40K fuels the imaginations of the people working with it. I know I would like to make my attempt at something like this one day

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Ah, also, almost forgot about one important thing:

Giants: Citizen Kabuto. Soundtrack by Mark Morgan and Jeremy Soule. Totally supreme.

I would like a reference to where you saw this, if you have one. The consonants (from sampled libraries rather than a choir recording) sound too awkward to be something you would put together just because of how it sounds, especially the S and SH. My guess is they are latin words and phrases arranged in a mostly generic way, but which technically do or did have a meaning at some point (when they were recorded). I have always been curious about it with the DoW2 songs, and I assumed they were real lyrics simply because I don't think it is that much an ask to have real lyrics written for the songs. I make sure to write real lyrics for long phrases like these

No exact reference since I think it was in a discussion on a /v/ videogame music thread (so the thread is long dead), but I still hear that once in a while when someone asks for the lyrics (I googled right now and found this post, for example). 40k wikis just say it's High Gothic, unintelligible unless you're a member of the inquisition or an adeptus mechanicus. I'm not a player so I could be wrong, but from what I've seen it's just supposed to sound like "Future Latin" (so "gibberish" might not be the correct term, but I imagine it would make "real world" latin students like SMA very butthurt)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom