Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Wayward Realms - upcoming Daggerfall-like RPG from original Elder Scrolls developers - coming to Kickstarter in May

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Interesting, Ted Peterson was writing for Bethesda as far as Morrowind and Oblivion.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
"So many things that could be done with proper knowledge of various techniques, unknown to me at that time, now so familiar: finite automata, context free-grammar, machine learning, feature detection and many others"

I have my doubts how any of this leads to good gameplay

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
"So many things that could be done with proper knowledge of various techniques, unknown to me at that time, now so familiar: finite automata, context free-grammar, machine learning, feature detection and many others"

It leads to more efficient game creation = more stuff can be done in less time.

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

It leads to more efficient game creation = more stuff can be done in less time

You mean more generic and boring procedural generated content

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

It leads to more efficient game creation = more stuff can be done in less time

You mean more generic and boring procedural generated content

:roll:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
This will not be No Man's Sky, Julian has proven himself by coding Arena and Daggerfall and the fact that no one would even attempt something like this shows how hard it must be and/or how talented Julian is.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
This will not be No Man's Sky, Julian has proven himself by coding Arena and Daggerfall and the fact that no one would even attempt something like this shows how hard it must be and/or how talented Julian is.

Arena and Daggerfall are big, ambitious games full of generic and boring content, exactly like No Man's Sky

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

Arena and Daggerfall are big, ambitious games full of generic and boring content, exactly like No Man's Sky

No man's sky has no gameplay and underlying mechanics, Daggerfall has in-depth mechanics, the character creation to this day and before has not been topped in the options available to create your character.

Comparing Daggerfall and No Man's sky is like comparing top tier and trash tier and should be never even attempted.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

No man's sky has no gameplay and underlying mechanics, Daggerfall has in-depth mechanics, the character creation to this day and before has not been topped in the options available to create your character.

Both Realms of Arkania And Wizardry 6 onward have more interesting character creation with just as many skills that are tied to underlying game mechanics

Last edited:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

Both Realms of Arkania And Wizardry 6 onward have more interesting character creation with just as many skills that are tied to underlying game mechanics

Daggerfall has real towns, ships, real estate, huge dungeons, you can loan money, there are banks, real estate, a court and law system with trials, you can mix spells together for differect effects.
The political system is supported by a net of guilds, orders, and religions, all with unique tasks and quests. Joining and contributing to these facilities allows the player to raise ranks and achieve a higher reputation in the game world. According to the player's reputation, characters in Daggerfall will react differently (for example, over time nobles will be more well-mannered with the Player character if they are a high-rank Knight or Royal Guard)

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Daggerfall has real towns, ships, real estate, huge dungeons, you can loan money, there are banks, real estate, a court and law system with trials, you can mix spells together for differect effects.
The political system is supported by a net of guilds, orders, and religions, all with unique tasks and quests. Joining and contributing to these facilities allows the player to raise ranks and achieve a higher reputation in the game world. According to the player's reputation, characters in Daggerfall will react differently (for example, over time nobles will be more well-mannered with the Player character if they are a high-rank Knight or Royal Guard)

Oh, we play moving the goal post. Sounds all nice on paper until you start playing and realize its the same generic tripe in every direction, every city looks the same, every NPCs has the same answers, all the quest have the same generic structure. If you enjoy that, more power to you, but don't tell me its special or unique.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

Oh, we play moving the goal post. Sounds all nice on paper until you start playing and realize its the same generic tripe in every direction, every city looks the same, every NPCs has the same answers, all the quest have the same generic structure. If you enjoy that, more power to you, but don't tell me its special or unique. Somebody should give you a fanboy tag

Sure, it was done 25 years ago, the plan is to make new version without the same generic tripe, if they will succeed it will feel like a fantasy life.

volklore

Arcane
It definitely is a cool experiment to have a daggerfall re-do 25 years later with all the updated technology that would allow for better producedural generation. Not sure it will be good but I am very curious nonetheless.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
It definitely is a cool experiment to have a daggerfall re-do 25 years later with all the updated technology that would allow for better producedural generation. Not sure it will be good but I am very curious nonetheless.

It will not only be procedural generation, they want to create a truly living world where factions will have opinions about one another, leading to faction wars, where kingdoms will rise and fall with the player having the chance of interacting with this or not if you don't want to, that's why they mean by 'evolving world'.

I guess a good comparison would be Crusader Kings 2, but isntead of a strategy game, you will be a single dude in the middle of it all.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
It will not only be procedural generation, they want to create a truly living world where factions will have opinions about one another, leading to faction wars, where kingdoms will rise and fall with the player having the chance of interacting with this or not if you don't want to, that's why they mean by 'evolving world'.

I guess a good comparison would be Crusader Kings 2
More like Kenshi...

grimace

Arcane
https://www.pcgamer.com/the-designers-of-the-original-elder-scrolls-are-making-a-new-rpg/

Elder Scrolls veterans who have worked on the venerable series since Arena have founded a new studio, OnceLost Games, and they're teasing their first game—not surprisingly, it's a big open-world RPG.

OnceLost Games' quartet of founders includes the original designers and producer of Arena, as well as Julian LeFay, "The Father of The Elder Scrolls". Their other credits range from RPGs, like later Elder Scrolls and Lord of the Rings: Online, to the colourful capers of Spyro the Dragon.

If you never played Arena or, given its age, fancy a refresher, it's conveniently free these days, so you can take their 25-year-old creation for a spin whenever you want.

The new RPG is a mystery for now, but OnceLost says it will be a "massive open-world fantasy adventure, and will boast revolutionary technology and game design". It probably sounds a lot like the pitch for Arena, and it will draw from '90s design pillars, though with the benefit of modern production values and quality of life improvements.

The mystery game will get a proper announcement by the end of the year.

OnceLost getting some Press coverage with no new information revealed.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Who wrote the books in Daggerfall (especially a Brief History of the Empire) and the original Pocket Guide to the Empire? People talk about Kirkbride's stuff so much they miss a lot of TES's other lore.

Lore in Arena and Daggerfall was by Ted Peterson and Julian LaFey
A lot of the concepts arose from tabletop sessions they held specifically to flesh out lore.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
It's from the quote I posted a few posts earlier

Ask him what exactly he wants to do with machine learning in the game.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
It's from the quote I posted a few posts earlier

Ask him what exactly he wants to do with machine learning in the game.

I don't use discord, but in interview he said that systems in Daggerfall were supposed to emulate a PnP DnD campaign, so they will want to further enhance this with todays techniques, 'machine learning' might be used to have a 'virtual game master'

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
It's perfectly doable, Ted would write for example 10,000 lines of quests, Julian would code and train an AI on those quests and bang, there is your 'virtual GM' which would be creating new quests in-game.

I've been using the texture upscaling AI and training it also, it's real.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
The fact that you've been training texture upscaling AI equates to pressing the "ON" button on a remote control, and then proceeding to talk about how you know the electronics that make a TV work inside and out.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
The fact that you've been training texture upscaling AI equates to pressing the "ON" button on a remote control, and then proceeding to talk about how you know the electronics that make a TV work inside and out.

I don't know anything about it, i'm just saying it's real, so when they say they can make it, there is no reason not to believe them.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Who wrote ...the original Pocket Guide to the Empire? People talk about Kirkbride's stuff so much they miss a lot of TES's other lore.
People talk about the wrong Kirkbride stuff, he and Kuhlmann wrote the original PGE.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom