Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Witcher 2 combat changed but not dumbed down

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Antihero said:
So I guess that means they dropped group-style?
There are no combat styles in TW2, at least not in a way they were in TW1. We have 2 basic attacks, light - good against agile oppenents, and heavy, good against armoured targets, and the ability/special moves to hit several enemies at once is gained via sword feat tree by levelling.

Not sure from that what's so different about the signs either
The main difference is that they don't break combo chains anymore.

Nothing new in that interview btw.

bonescraper

frencharmyknifecl5.jpg

last time i checked some twihcer 2 video geralt was rolling every 2 seconds to dodge...
fireballs, magic shields,magic traps ... so fucking close to withcers from the books :lol:

not dumb down my ass :salute:

still potatos gonna buy this shit and claim its best rpg evaahhhhh :retarded:

Seeker
In My Safe Space
It will be a decent action / rpg with choices and consequences that truly matter and affect the main story.

Unlike a recent rpg featuring tactical combat and choices, which play a purely cosmetic role.

Needles

Scholar
Just ditch the damn combat system.

Witcher's combat was about as much fun as mining in Mass Effect. Fucking minigames....

BelisariuS.F

Augur
meanwhileInPoland said:
last time i checked some twihcer 2 video geralt was rolling every 2 seconds to dodge

Blame the dude that recorded that video. I've seen a video where Gop was playing, and he rolled only once, and not to dodge, but to quickly get to another enemy.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
meanwhileInPoland said:
last time i checked some twihcer 2 video geralt was rolling every 2 seconds to dodge...
fireballs, magic shields,magic traps ... so fucking close to withcers from the books :lol:

not dumb down my ass :salute:

still potatos gonna buy this shit and claim its best rpg evaahhhhh :retarded:
butthurt detected.

LittleJoe

Arbiter
Jaesun said:
CD Projekt has built a new game engine from scratch

This is what worries me most. They've never built a game engine from scratch before.
It's likely to be buggy as hell.
On the other hand, they did do wonders with the NWN2 engine.

Data4

Arcane
LittleJoe said:
Jaesun said:

This is what worries me most. They've never built a game engine from scratch before.

It's also supposed to be some sort of open world dealie, unless I've read wrong. Kinda makes me wonder if they started with a base engine, like Unreal, and modified it the way Bethesda did Gamebryo for Skyrim, and are calling it "new".

Irxy

Arcane
LittleJoe said:
TW1 used NWN1 engine.

Data4 said:
It's also supposed to be some sort of open world dealie, unless I've read wrong.
It was told so in the interview, but they kinda misused the term "open world". TW2 world is similar to TW1: each chapter is limited to it's own zone(s), which you can freely explore. The zones are supposed to be 3-5+ times larger than in TW1, though.

bonescraper

LittleJoe said:
Jaesun said:

WTF? What kind of retarded logic is that? It's their second game. They shouldn't make their own engine because they've never built one? Then why should they make games in the first place?

EDIT:

Irxy said:
Data4 said:
It's also supposed to be some sort of open world dealie, unless I've read wrong.
It was told so in the interview, but they kinda misused the term "open world". TW2 world is similar to TW1: each chapter is limited to it's own zone(s), which you can freely explore. The zones are supposed to be 3-5+ times larger than in TW1, though.
Interesting. Now how did they manage to limit the loading screens to four then? There are four chapters? Or was it some kind of developer bullshit?

.Sigurd

Educated
MetalCraze said:
Didn't they make bosses - QTE fights?

Yes, but they said that you can still be able to take bosses down in the "traditional" way. QTE is only a option.

Data4

Arcane
Irxy said:
LittleJoe said:
TW1 used NWN1 engine.

Seriously? If that's the case, then I'm REALLY impressed. I'm playing through it again right now and have to pause every once in awhile just to jack off over how they schooled Bio with their own engine. And I was basing it on the assumption that it was the NWN2 engine.

EDIT- Okay, technically it was Obsidian, since I was comparing TW1 with NWN2, but still...

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Sounds like it is going to be very twitch based and more action-y than TW1. That is cool though, to me it felt like they wanted TW1's combat to be on the action side but were limited by the engine. Like ME2, TW2 looks like it will cause a lot of rage here over them calling it is an RPG (especially with CDPR constant claims that it is a true cRPG), but should still make a decent game overall. First day buy.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
circ said:
The really sad part is how CDP used an older engine that in every way outclassed the NWN 2 one.

CDP worked on their modified NWN1 engine a lot longer than Obsidian did for the NWN2 engine.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
[Intelligence] You fight the good fight with your voice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom