Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Expansion Thread

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Actiongames are not for everyone. The combat is no revellation but its also definitely not shit.
Pretty sick of seeing that bullshit. Key part of action games is player control, player input 1 = action 1. Games where Input 1 = Action 1,2,3,4, .... depending on what the game feels is right for the moment and makes the PC look good ain't good action gaming. These systems were made so shitty players could do this

If the Arkham/AssCreed/Shadows of Mordor/Twitcher2/3 designers created that, all offensive melee actions would be done with one button and hoping the game makes the right call on which move fires off. Just so some idiot just jumping in wouldn't complain that it didn't make him "feel like a Witcher/Batman/Whatever" when his PC sits there swinging at nothing due to his incompetence.

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
Had a couple of hours to burn and decided to give it another shot, gave up on combat 30 minutes in. How this abomination was conceived is beyond me. Even with gamepad it's unplayable.

I don't even know why i'm so butthurt about this game, it just feels like with a few tweaks it could have been a very enjoyable experience. But all you get is pointless open world, completely retarded combat and whenever something interesting comes up story-wise you are forced to track down a fucking goat instead.

:rpgcodex:
the combat is dumb but i am picturing you trying to rolling all over the place like witcher 2, roll has been replaced by dodge as the essential combat move.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Still, I can't imagine how it wouldn't be wildly profitable for them with 4m, especially since the game is completely self-funded.

The game's buget was estimated at about 70 milion USD (including marketing) afaik. It's already wildly profitable, even if they exceeded the budget (which they almost certainly did).

Oh and the game itself was self-funded, marketing was paid for by the publishers.

Veelq

Augur
Actiongames are not for everyone. The combat is no revellation but its also definitely not shit.
Pretty sick of seeing that bullshit. Key part of action games is player control, player input 1 = action 1. Games where Input 1 = Action 1,2,3,4, .... depending on what the game feels is right for the moment and makes the PC look good ain't good action gaming. These systems were made so shitty players could do this

If the Arkham/AssCreed/Shadows of Mordor/Twitcher2/3 designers created that, all offensive melee actions would be done with one button and hoping the game makes the right call on which move fires off. Just so some idiot just jumping in wouldn't complain that it didn't make him "feel like a Witcher/Batman/Whatever" when his PC sits there swinging at nothing due to his incompetence.

Thats true and that design makes people do less for the same or better result which makes low satisfaction from the play you did. I think many people dont realize that having full control over your character in action game and making those awesome combos by themselves is superior feeling to what we have right now.

Perkel

Arcane
They expected 7 million by the end of the year, doesn't look very likely unless the game has unusually long legs on consoles.

Still, I can't imagine how it wouldn't be wildly profitable for them with 4m, especially since the game is completely self-funded.

10mln by end of year is achievable if they sold 4 mln in just two weeks.

The game's buget was estimated at about 70 milion USD (including marketing) afaik. It's already wildly profitable, even if they exceeded the budget (which they almost certainly did).

Oh and the game itself was self-funded, marketing was paid for by the publishers.

What 70mln ?

15mln$ for game and 25mln$ for marketing payed by distributors upfront (so CDPR payed almost nothing for marketing).
After 4mln sold coppies they are more than set with money.

For comparison with western devs:

MW2 $50mln game dev and $150mln marketing.

made

Arcane

Well, good on them. CDP took a massive risk with the game and it seems to have paid off. It's quite impressive how far they've come since the humble beginnings of TW1 as a NWN mod. Polandball prevails in the end against all odds!

That said, and while I certainly enjoyed the game (still am, in fact; 100+ hours in and still no end in sight), I'm pretty tired of the direction the series has taken. Too much focus on a cinematic experience, too little thought put into gameplay mechanics. And the trend is likely to continue with ever increasing budgets as they've always said their aim is to tell a good story. I just don't think I'll give enough of a shit about the story once Geralt is out of the picture.

bonescraper

The game's buget was estimated at about 70 milion USD
:lol:

Nobody saw this kind of mony in this country, ever.

Witcher 1 cost a bit over 5 million dollars.
Witcher 2 cost 10,36 million dollars.
Witcher 3 cost something around 15 million dollars.

WIth 70 million they could make approximately 7 more TWitchers.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The game's buget was estimated at about 70 milion USD
:lol:

Nobody saw this kind of mony in this country, ever.

Witcher 3 cost something around 15 million dollars.

Shiiit I dun fuck up. Saw this:

Bezpośrednio na produkcję gry planujemy wydać co najmniej 45 mln zł. Oczekujemy także, że budżet marketingowy trzeciej części Wiedźmina będzie w okolicach 25 mln USD – mówi szef CD Projekt.

The first figure is in zl, the second in USD. Got mixed it up.

Dookins

Educated

Well, good on them. CDP took a massive risk with the game and it seems to have paid off. It's quite impressive how far they've come since the humble beginnings of TW1 as a NWN mod. Polandball prevails in the end against all odds!

That said, and while I certainly enjoyed the game (still am, in fact; 100+ hours in and still no end in sight), I'm pretty tired of the direction the series has taken. Too much focus on a cinematic experience, too little thought put into gameplay mechanics. And the trend is likely to continue with ever increasing budgets as they've always said their aim is to tell a good story. I just don't think I'll give enough of a shit about the story once Geralt is out of the picture.

They really ought to just go the action adventure route and focus on what they're good at already.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In

They really ought to just go the action adventure route and focus on what they're good at already.

Basically this. Removing all RPG alements besides choices from TW3 would solve most of (if not all) my issues with the game.

Azarkon

Arcane
'Realistic to the bone marrow' is a pretty big exaggeration, don't you think?

No. Every woman in books who you meet is a product of world she inhabits.

Wives, peasant women are weak generally weak toward violence. There are only few woman warriors in books and all of them are ruthless. Sorceresses on other hand are dozen but they all have power and because they have power they don't fear anyone and they often are cruel toward anyone or think of themselves as higher caste than anyone.

There isn't any woman in books that works as stereotype of "strong woman" because of reasons.
That is the whole point.

No one have problem with strong characters being either man or woman if their foundation is good.
Everybody have problem if those strong characters were build on fickle foundation.

Mantra of "new design" by critics and progressive designer is to give women roles because they are equal not because of their merit or how world would behave toward them in those positions.

This is why i used Cassandra from DAI as an example. She is not fit to be commander and i don't think any man would fallow her into battle. She only exist as commander because "teh strong womyn !"

Cassandra is a poorly written character. Poorly written characters aren't limited to women in DAI. In fact, it's the rule rather than the exception with Bioware these days. In an ideal world, poorly written characters, regardless of whether they're male/female, ought to be offensive simply because they are poorly written. I don't think we need to bring gender into it.

At the same time, I think you're missing the argument. Just because a character has a plausible back story for why she acts the way she does, does not indicate that the decision to include this character in the story was random. Authors and game designers choose what characters they include in the narrative. Just as Bioware chose to make 80% of the party LGBT, CDProjekt/Sapowski chose to present a cast of female characters that is every bit as strong and capable as the males.

This isn't necessitated by the setting - medieval Europe was a patriarchal society, and while women's social status wasn't as low as it was in, say, the Islamic world, it did not avail itself to the sorts of "strong women" you see in the Witcher world. But of course, CDProjekt/Sapowski didn't set out to recreate medieval Europe, but to build around it a modern fantasy. The treatment of women characters in Witcher, to this end, shows a rather "progressive," rather than conservative/traditionalist, sensibility, which runs throughout the game not just in Yennefer, Cerys, etc., but even in simple quests such as the female blacksmith at Crow's Perch who quite literally fights and wins against sexism and stereotype.

In fact, Witcher "progressivism" isn't limited to gender. The whole setting is built around a classically liberal sensibility in which discrimination against the Other - portrayed in the Witcher as mutants, elves, dwarves, etc. - is condemned by the series's main moral compass ie Geralt, who dramatically died in Sapowski's books in a race riot trying to protect them.

Aka: Witcher 3 is a pretty damn "progressive" game, and SJWs ought to love it, had they not been too busy crusading against the lack of tokenism.

Azarkon

Arcane
They expected 7 million by the end of the year, doesn't look very likely unless the game has unusually long legs on consoles.

Word of mouth for Witcher 3 is positive. That usually leads to sustained sales further down the line, so I think 7 million is still doable.

Profit-wise, I don't know the total $ spent by CDProjekt on the game, but given that Witcher 3 commercials were playing on TV and in US theaters before movies, I think the marketing fee was not cheap. However, given a $15 million development cost and a, say, $100 million marketing cost, it's still profitable with $4 million sales.

Perkel

Arcane

Word of mouth for Witcher 3 is positive. That usually leads to sustained sales further down the line, so I think 7 million is still doable.

Profit-wise, I don't know the total $ spent by CDProjekt on the game, but given that Witcher 3 commercials were playing on TV and in US theaters before movies, I think the marketing fee was not cheap. However, given a $15 million development cost and a, say, $100 million marketing cost, it's still profitable with $4 million sales.

25mln marketing cost covered by distributors only

bonescraper

Another overrated review of witcher 3 ignoring the comparison with witcher 1 and instead comparing it to the retarted Skybore

Learn to read - it is starting with a comparison to earlier Witcher games.

Yes it compares witcher 3 to the second part of the game.iam talking about witcher 1.It fails to even compare the quests or c&c to the first game since it is said that witcher 3 is a return to the original game.This review is no different when compared to AAA reviews.10/10 GOTY
It's a return to the original game, atmosphere-wise, that's it. Everything else is just far better, quests, writing, characters, C&C, combat.

I can agree only on the wiritng.The quest design is well integrated with the environment way better in witcher 1 than witcher 3 where most of the quest involve "witcher sense" which are highly repetitive and pretentious.QTE combat with keyboard and mouse is better than consoltard contorls of witcher 3 for PC.Yes Twitcher 2 is 10/10 GOTY for having C&C based on locations,Hell Yeah!!!!
:1/5:/:5/5:

Perkel

Arcane
wVxb.jpg

Gerrard

Arcane
Can someone explain to why the fuck is there no blood stains on the ground when you hit something with your sword and yet there is blood if you kill something in water?
Not to mention even the first Witcher had them. Do you need everything on ultra to enable fucking decals?

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
"Getting hyped by the Witcher is GAY-ness" (in this context 'hyped' means generally 'excited')

"The games and the books are a cunt and a dick" (I know, doesn't make much sense, even in Polish)

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Wives, peasant women are weak generally weak toward violence. There are only few woman warriors in books and all of them are ruthless. Sorceresses on other hand are dozen but they all have power and because they have power they don't fear anyone and they often are cruel toward anyone or think of themselves as higher caste than anyone.

There isn't any woman in books that works as stereotype of "strong woman" because of reasons.
That is the whole point.
I agree to some extent. The difference between strong women in the Witcher world and the strong women in BioWare games is that BioWare simply dumps women in manly roles to show that they're equal, whereas the Witcher women still act like females and use whatever they can to get ahead, which is exactly what you'd expect to happen in such a world. Sorceresses are powerful, but they also constantly use their good looks to seduce and exploit people who can be of use to them, as well as abusing their power in other ways. They're not displayed in a very positive light, as they're generally selfish, dishonest, conspiring bitches who meddle in other people's affairs while essentially only driving their own agenda. I found it pretty funny that in the books the Lodge doesn't accept men because their ambition makes them poor mages, whereas women are aware of what they're capable of (know their place, so to speak) and can therefore make better use of their abilities.

That being said, Cerys and the master armorer chick did make me cringe a bit, as they're indeed characters that could easily appear in a BioWare game: women that obviously do a "man's work" better than men, yet who are looked down upon because of their sex. Cerys might not be the better choice for a ruler, but that only really comes down to her being a woman, as she's clearly wiser and otherwise more fit to rule than Hjalmar whose shortcomings are much more obvious. The armorer quest was just pretty lazy and out of place.

MasPingon

Arcane
Another overrated review of witcher 3 ignoring the comparison with witcher 1 and instead comparing it to the retarted Skybore

Learn to read - it is starting with a comparison to earlier Witcher games.

Yes it compares witcher 3 to the second part of the game.iam talking about witcher 1.It fails to even compare the quests or c&c to the first game since it is said that witcher 3 is a return to the original game.This review is no different when compared to AAA reviews.10/10 GOTY
It's a return to the original game, atmosphere-wise, that's it. Everything else is just far better, quests, writing, characters, C&C, combat.

I can agree only on the wiritng.The quest design is well integrated with the environment way better in witcher 1 than witcher 3 where most of the quest involve "witcher sense" which are highly repetitive and pretentious.QTE combat with keyboard and mouse is better than consoltard contorls of witcher 3 for PC.Yes Twitcher 2 is 10/10 GOTY for having C&C based on locations,Hell Yeah!!!!
Wtf have you been smoking?

MiX

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

That is the whole point.
I agree to some extent. The difference between strong women in the Witcher world and the strong women in BioWare games is that BioWare simply dumps women in manly roles to show that they're equal, whereas the Witcher women still act like females and use whatever they can to get ahead, which is exactly what you'd expect to happen in such a world. Sorceresses are powerful, but they also constantly use their good looks to seduce and exploit people who can be of use to them, as well as abusing their power in other ways. They're not displayed in a very positive light, as they're generally selfish, dishonest, conspiring bitches who meddle in other people's affairs while essentially only driving their own agenda. I found it pretty funny that in the books the Lodge doesn't accept men because their ambition makes them poor mages, whereas women are aware of what they're capable of (know their place, so to speak) and can therefore make better use of their abilities.

That being said, Cerys and the master armorer chick did make me cringe a bit, as they're indeed characters that could easily appear in a BioWare game: women that obviously do a "man's work" better than men, yet who are looked down upon because of their sex. Cerys might not be the better choice for a ruler, but that only really comes down to her being a woman, as she's clearly wiser and otherwise more fit to rule than Hjalmar whose shortcomings are much more obvious. The armorer quest was just pretty lazy and out of place.

Yup. Bioware women characters = "strong" women who don't need no man. Witcher women characters = actual people who use their advantages, whether it be magic, beauty, etc., to get what they want. Perfect example would be Keira who uses sex to get what she wants which she enjoys anyway because shes a massive nympho.
Ironic since you'd think having "strong" women relegated to being second-rate men would be insulting but the feminist retards all jumped on Witcher anyway even though it represents women in a far more realistic and positive way than any Bioware game ever did.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom