Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Expansion Thread

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Holy shit who was the sadistic potato who thought it was a good idea to make the whole fucking game a wild goose chase?
fixed
Yeah, things would be far easier if Ciri showed up on Kaer Morhen and said "Hey Lambert, is dad at home? Can't stay for long, there is places to see, things to do but tell him I wanna meet him on the Cinematic Tits tavern on that swamp on Velen, alright?"

Can't she just like...ask for someone to deliver a message to the Witchers of Kaer Morhen instead of going on a search on her own?

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
So after a month's worth of holdups due to work commitments, university commitments, and a system restore on my computer, I've finally managed to complete the game. The game honestly reminded me alot of Dragon Age: Inquisition alot: first game in the series to feature an open world and mounts, lot of gameplay features that were obviously inspired by MMO's, etc. Difference is that all the content in DA:I felt as though it was utterly half-assed: the open worlds were these theme-parks filled with generic wolfs and bears to fight, all the quests were these generic "Go to here and do X/Collect 10 wolf asses" fetch quests, mounted gameplay is so fucking awful that it's honestly better just to walk everywhere. In The Witcher 3 it looks and feels like there was a lot of effort put in to making everything feel alive and unique. Sure, the side-quests get a bit samey after awhile content-wise, but each has its own little story that sets them apart from others and stops them from feeling repetitive.

Guess my only real complaint is aimed at the story:
You get to be involved in alot of unique sub-plots on the way to finding Ciri, the one with the Baron in particular, but the whole thing honestly gets tiring after awhile. The section in Novigrad in particular is a wild goose chase that you're forced to go on, likely after completing the much better quests in Velen, that leads to an utter dead-end. Even after you find her there's not even a special reason behind Ciri coming back, she basically just got bored of running and decided to fight the Wild Hunt now.

After the showdown at Khaer Morhen the plot kinda loses all of its steam, too. There's no twists, no plotting, no hidden agendas or anything. Phillipa Eilhart, who the game has been kinda foreshadowing as having her own hidden plans on how to make Ciri join the lodge, winds up just politely asking Geralt to make Yennefer leave once their plan is over (which is what she planned to do anyway). Avallac'h's also constantly hinted at having his own plans for Ciri, ransacking his lab also shows that he clearly has his own plans for Ciri. Then at the finale Eredin reveals that he realized Avallac'h has duped them both and is planning to steal Ciri from under their noses! And then the worlds or whatever start colliding and the world begins to end! And so Geralt rushes to the tower to confront Avallac'h and force him to give Ciri back...only no, false alarm. Turns out Avallac'h's avtually been on the up-and-up the entire time and Ciri asked him to open the portals so she can stop the white frost. Kinda disappointing all-around.

Also, to CD Projekt: please don't make armors with popped collars if Geralt's chin is just gonna clip straight through it every time he turns his head.

Still better than Dragon Age: Inquisition

Riso

Arcane
The writer that used to do all the politicking in the previous games is doing Cyberpunk 2077 that's why TW3 has much less.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Not sure how they come up with their weapons at times...

sigh.jpg

Someone in Poland loves cheese, it seems.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Wish there would be more 'travelling planes' in the game. That was fantastic.
I knew the witcher was set in a multiverse, but there it just dawned on me how rich the lore actually is.

Also, seeing how the Aen Elle (spelling?) are 'only' mundane creatures with flaws exactly like humans.. I like it and I hate it at the same time.

Perkel

Arcane
Not epic enough ?
They should make prequel where you would be Elf from En Elle riding Unicors traveling planes raping and pillaging worlds.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Not epic enough ?
They should make prequel where you would be Elf from En Elle riding Unicors traveling planes raping and pillaging worlds.

Someone sort of did it already: the game is called Mass Effect and the "Elves" are called the Reapers.

Malpercio

Arcane
Man, this Novigrad section is so duuuull and I love town sections in RPG.

Plus Geralt is a gary stu, so even if there are all these supposedly powerful characters around me that command armies and the like I never felt in danger since I know I can slaughter them all. Got caught by the witcher hunters? Who cares, let's kill them all! So dull.

DeepOcean

Arcane

Plus Geralt is a gary stu, so even if there are all these supposedly powerful characters around me that command armies and the like I never felt in danger since I know I can slaughter them all. Got caught by the witcher hunters? Who cares, let's kill them all! So dull.
Yeah, there are few parts where Geralt go against powerful characters that have a ton of body guards and just kill everybody. Geralt is a mutant ninja but please potatoes don't go on animu fan fic territory. Killing powerful characters, gang leaders or whatever should involve more than just going there alone and kill him.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron

Yeah, there are few parts where Geralt go against powerful characters that have a ton of body guards and just kill everybody. Geralt is a mutant ninja but please potatoes don't go on animu fan fic territory. Killing powerful characters, gang leaders or whatever should involve more than just going there alone and kill him.

Guys, Geralt is known as "The Butcher of Blaviken" for a reason. Go read "The Last Wish", and make yourselves cultured. :)

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Just finished it, what a ride. 147 hours, level 36. Explored all POIs, did all quests beside the gwent ones (I hate card games)

I still kinda want more :(

Perkel

Arcane
Guys, Geralt is known as "The Butcher of Blaviken" for a reason. Go read "The Last Wish", and make yourselves cultured. :)

He is not immortal nor he is sword god. There is another story when he juiced up himself and gone for 4-5 pro dudes with mage in it. Managed to hack them but was severely wounded.

Still i think only in witch hunters HQ is when i though that this "doesn't fit" Though it kind of made sense since Triss was in place there and she had serious firepower.

So blame CDPR for making Triss shitty support mage.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Triss is one of the main reasons to play the game.

Fuck Yennefer (then dump her)

She deserves it.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron

He is not immortal nor he is sword god. There is another story when he juiced up himself and gone for 4-5 pro dudes with mage in it. Managed to hack them but was severely wounded.

Still i think only in witch hunters HQ is when i though that this "doesn't fit" Though it kind of made sense since Triss was in place there and she had serious firepower.

So blame CDPR for making Triss shitty support mage.

That's exactly what I meant to advocate. To me, the Witch-Hunters rampage felt completely legit. They are self-proclaimed witch-hunters after all, plus Geralt got really angry during that fight, and Triss was assisting (well, more like going on a rampage of her own, in my case). I see no coherence problem with Geralt+Triss taking down 50 fuckers or so. Especially if their combat skills are proportional to those of their leader, which went down in 2, max 3 hits. Overall, the WH'ers felt like a bunch of self-proclaimed inquisition-type assholes, with not really much to back their attitude, and only had what was coming to them.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Unfortunately, the amounts of dick you can give is pretty limited in W3. I only found whores (they don't count), Triss, Yen, the Iron Maiden from Skellige and Keira.

Anyway, you, Jools, have some excellent taste.

:excellent:

Riso

Arcane
Ah yes, "lovely redhead Triss." She who lied to you, used you and abandoned you several times in the books and game. Probably was going to use the Rose of Remembrence on you to to make you her bitch like Philippa did Saskia.

Lovely woman that.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Quite the contrary. If you follow the Yen "love" line ingame, you are the one who cannot into womminz.

The moment you do the genie quest this becomes glass clear.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Ah yes, "lovely redhead Triss." She who lied to you, used you and abandoned you several times in the books and game.

UMAD? Welcome to the wondrous world of "relationships".

Anyway, that's still nothing compared to the shit way the other sorceress (Yen in the lead) treat poor Geralt. Only Tyr knows the shit our humble witcher has to put up with just to get some poon.

Addendum: SEX CARDS > UNICORN SEX > SEX SCENES (some of whose animations, btw, felt copypasted straight from TW2).

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Unfortunately, the amounts of dick you can give is pretty limited in W3. I only found whores (they don't count), Triss, Yen, the Iron Maiden from Skellige and Keira.

Anyway, you, Jools, have some excellent taste.

:excellent:

I too was disappointed that I couldn't bone more random wenches, like they got me used to doing in TW1. Jeesus, that Nymph was darn epic.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Jesus fucking christ, I needed 5 tries to defeat Imlerith on death march. Such a cheesy bastard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom