Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sykar

Arcane
And you took her at her word? Abigail is part of the Lionhead Spider cult; no one in this setting is innocent.

Oh fuck. Thanks Roguey, I forget bout that! (And it is first time I write to you, welp. You are (in?)famous around here)

Fast lore lession to any fag that don't know what Lionhead Spider cult it:
Coram Agh Ter or Lionhead spider is god of sudden and tragic death. His priests are preety much murderers and one of worst bastards with curses around in Witcher universe. They are preety much killed everywhere around.

So yeah. Coram Agh Ter is kind of Witcher Baal, but with more tits, blood and other shit. They are preety much worst religion morons around.

And yet she takes on the role of the healer in the village in act 4 if you save her, redeeming herself. While she wasn't innocent, all she did was trying to keep herself alive since the villagers wanted her dead. It stands to reason that this was what drove her into the cult. Not that there is any evidence that she was even remotely as bad as the cultists you meet later.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fair point. But there is something - he helped Odo (fat ass guy in village) kill his own brother. Not on his own. She even have Odo doll. Maybe she have done that, by his hand.. we can't know. We see evil in both sites.
Villagers are dirty, shattered people that want to burn witch for their own fears, they blame her for that what THEY have done. They seek someone that may be sacrificed to make them calm. Even the worst motherfucker will feel bad if he didn't have any justification for his own actions. In his own eyes and other people eyes.

We don't know everything. We can't know. Only those people know but they don't tell us truth. Never. And yet we must decide. I really don't like to overthing things but it was really fucking hard to decide. ( I choose witch becouse of boo- I mean, lesser evil. I choose lesser boo- evil)

Sykar

Arcane
Fair point. But there is something - he helped Odo (fat ass guy in village) kill his own brother. Not on his own. She even have Odo doll. Maybe she have done that, by his hand.. we can't know. We see evil in both sites.
Villagers are dirty, shattered people that want to burn witch for their own fears, they blame her for that what THEY have done. They seek someone that may be sacrificed to make them calm. Even the worst motherfucker will feel bad if he didn't have any justification for his own actions. In his own eyes and other people eyes.

We don't know everything. We can't know. Only those people know but they don't tell us truth. Never. And yet we must decide. I really don't like to overthing things but it was really fucking hard to decide. ( I choose witch becouse of boo- I mean, lesser evil. I choose lesser boo- evil)

Well there is no "good" side in chapter one. But as you can so aptly chose at the end in your final dialogue with Abigail, you chose the lesser evil. One woman driven into an evil cult out of desperation vs an entire village full of murderers, rapists, liars and cheaters, an easy choice, for me at least. As to the doll, doesn't realy prove anything. Could have just as been a fake to induce fear into Odo for example. As it stands Odo probably killed his brother to become rich.
I actually like the ambiguity in the game.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
World in the Witcher is kind of sick in every possible way known to humanity. If you look at Saga, you will find it. Bonhart. Kaptuła (that circle of mages, don't know english name). Every mage. Almost every king.
It is funny how guy called a freak and outsider becouse he is protecting people asses and want to just find his woman and 'daughter' and live in peace. Or in 'peace' between killing some more monsters. :lol:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

heh if you compare it to english one it is night and day difference in therm of writting.
One of few times when i am happy to know polish.

Just for comparison:

That time when that drunkyard told "cocksucker".

In english version is is a slur targeted at geralt where in polish version is common phrase which you tell your friend which is no way a slur. If anything it is something that tells you that you are friend or he considers you friendly type.

Other case.

That time when he has ability to say to those types "go or i will kill you"

In english verision it is a serious threat like he takes them seriously
In polish version it is a threat but he says it in "you are fucking nobody compared to me, so GTFO from here" way

Honestly they should hire next time someone who could VO that stuff and some proper talent for translation because ENG folks are missing half of what game is all about.

edit:

Or maybe some more free translation that would convey meaning even if it won't be direct translation.

I mean for that second one i would use something like:

Kindly fuck off and move away somewhere else with condescending tone.

It would be a bit different but it would perfectly convey what is happening
The cocksucker line is actually fine. The delivery of it makes it clear it's friendly ribbing and not insulting. English is strange.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I haven't been following TW3 news closely so I got a question: are they going to keep that retarded popamole bullshit combat system we had to deal with in TW2? Or are they making a new one?

hiver

The cocksucker line is actually fine. The delivery of it makes it clear it's friendly ribbing and not insulting. English is strange.
No it doesnt. It could be taken as a friendly only if it was coming from a friend, not some nondescript random dwarf you see the first time.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
No it doesnt. It could be taken as a friendly only if it was coming from a friend, not some nondescript random dwarf you see the first time.
Yep. In Polish version he puts an accent only on drinking ("pierdolniesz" - stronger version of "hit"), doesn't even address Geralt. In this take, it's as cordial as it can get from a random bar thug.

Karwelas Sykar You got it all wrong. The witch has tits and someone said she's innocent. Shit's so simple, don't overthink it.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
This game looks really amazing, especially the latest trailer but I have this nagging itch in the back of my mind reminding me of TW2 combat..

I adore all the witcher games until Combat starts.. but I have beaten that horse already 1000 times.. I just wish they could get their shit together with the combat systems.. maybe this game will finally be it.

Perkel

Arcane
Jews stole our true european pagan gods and replaced it with jew god Jehovah
And for that we have murdered them throughout the history, beginning from rome to the crusades and the last occasion was in the 3rd Reich. But it is even better we have taken up a jewish carpenter and made him to a god, and have told them that they are guilty for his death, so that they will not receive their salvation, the Jahwe has promised them, because they have discarded this carpenter as their savior.

Ok bozia2012 i will look into this religion, because this is far better then a naked guy on a cross. Where do i get those girls?

If i remember it right it is traditional slavic night in which young people fuck each other out (no

heh if you compare it to english one it is night and day difference in therm of writting.
One of few times when i am happy to know polish.

Just for comparison:

That time when that drunkyard told "cocksucker".

In english version is is a slur targeted at geralt where in polish version is common phrase which you tell your friend which is no way a slur. If anything it is something that tells you that you are friend or he considers you friendly type.

Other case.

That time when he has ability to say to those types "go or i will kill you"

In english verision it is a serious threat like he takes them seriously
In polish version it is a threat but he says it in "you are fucking nobody compared to me, so GTFO from here" way

Honestly they should hire next time someone who could VO that stuff and some proper talent for translation because ENG folks are missing half of what game is all about.

edit:

Or maybe some more free translation that would convey meaning even if it won't be direct translation.

I mean for that second one i would use something like:

Kindly fuck off and move away somewhere else with condescending tone.

It would be a bit different but it would perfectly convey what is happening

Yeah but it is a slur targeted at geralt where in case of polish one there is no slur. I agree this doesn't change much that situation.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Looks like shit, the graphical downgrade is obvious, typical potato euro trash console kiddie game with shitty writting what kind of shit writing is this? 'is it xxx yet? no, the fuck off' hardy fucking harr such mature rpg, go and run off of a cliff, not even worth 5 $ on a sale.
Looking at the inventory is just like having a knife pulled in your stomach.

Beowulf

Arcane
Fair and thorough review.

Unless - heave handed sarcasm (can't tell because of that Dumbfuck tag)?

Paul_cz

Arcane
Looks like shit, the graphical downgrade is obvious, typical potato euro trash console kiddie game with shitty writting what kind of shit writing is this? 'is it xxx yet? no, the fuck off' hardy fucking harr such mature rpg, go and run off of a cliff, not even worth 5 $ on a sale.
Looking at the inventory is just like having a knife pulled in your stomach.
You know...I actually did chuckle, so mission accomplished.

"typical potato euro trash console kiddy" is a hilarious string of words, all that's missing is some eurojank and boring, shit, banal

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
This game looks really amazing, especially the latest trailer but I have this nagging itch in the back of my mind reminding me of TW2 combat..

I adore all the witcher games until Combat starts.. but I have beaten that horse already 1000 times.. I just wish they could get their shit together with the combat systems.. maybe this game will finally be it.
I am coming to this thread relatively late. What did you dislike about W2 combat? I thought W2 combat was okay, but it had rolling spam and some clunky movement. Overall, W3 seems better than W2 due to the removal of rolls and the signs having more utility.

Last edited:

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Rolls are still in and you can spam them as much as before.
I thought there was a dodge (practically a leap) now, but the full rolls are still in?

Edit: Just rewatched the combat video, Looks like the dodge/leap is spammable.

Last edited:

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
"You have to think fast"

You mean press B? All the time? It was the "professional" approach, A was the Suave/Dickhead approach and Y was the Aggressive one.
If you're a retard and you're not trying to reach specific goals.

Wow, you figured out which answer was in which mode - but each character responded differently, so how does it help?

I don't know what you have to be... retarded? Blind? Socially inept? How about going with SIMPLE LOGIC? You meet a guy in a suit that talks like a goverment agent. Do you:
A - Act like a dickwad
B - Go "THIS IS AMERUCA" aggro on him
C - Comply and be professional with a guy, who doesn't like stupid people

It was very simple to guess what the NPCs wanted to hear in AP.

hiver

Rolls are still in and you can spam them as much as before.
I thought there was a dodge (practically a leap) now, but the full rolls are still in?

Edit: Just rewatched the combat video, Looks like the dodge/leap is spammable.
Dodge is spammable and the roll is spammable. You have both now to spam.

+ there is too much vigor/stamina and these moves barely affect it. If they affect it at all.

enjoy your witcher "combat".

Perkel

Arcane
And what did you expect ? That you will be standing in one place and fighting with sword and shield ?
They only care to create combat so that it will look more or less like in the books. In books G wasn't stationary and dodged a lot.

Rolling is silly like tw2 shown but they need to do something without player animations being completely shit or restricting movement.

Imo best way would be to implement Batman like combat system just with more movement but i doubt they are able to do so since no one can really ape even first iteration of it in batman AA and few tried.
Also it is sword/multiple weapons fight so it is not really like Batman AA case of fighting hand to hand for whatever reasons.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
And what did you expect ? That you will be standing in one place and fighting with sword and shield ?
They only care to create combat so that it will look more or less like in the books. In books G wasn't stationary and dodged a lot.

Rolling is silly like tw2 shown but they need to do something without player animations being completely shit or restricting movement.

Imo best way would be to implement Batman like combat system just with more movement but i doubt they are able to do so since no one can really ape even first iteration of it in batman AA and few tried.
Also it is sword/multiple weapons fight so it is not really like Batman AA case of fighting hand to hand for whatever reasons.
Can't comment on AA, but CDproject does not seem to have a set idea themselves (sword styles to no sword styles). Speaking of sword styles, if you have read the books, was the sword styles from W1 even a thing in the books?

enjoy your witcher "combat".
Sure.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom