Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Nryn

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Dodge is spammable and the roll is spammable. You have both now to spam.

+ there is too much vigor/stamina and these moves barely affect it. If they affect it at all.

enjoy your witcher "combat".

I went back and looked at the recent 15 minute clip, and this is what I could conclude:

Vigor is not drained by rolling around or sidestepping. In fact, vigor appears to regenerate even when Geralt is zipping all over the place. Same as Witcher 2.

Holding up the sword to guard stops Vigor from regenerating. It might even take away a tiny bit of Vigor on a successful block. Unlike in the EE edition of Witcher 2, it seems blocking negates all damage from the blocked attack even when Vigor is not full. It reminds me of how blocking used to work in the earlier Witcher 2 versions before they were patched, with the biggest difference being that the amount of Vigor lost on blocking is far less punishing.

I'm keeping my expectations for the combat low now that it appears they haven't balanced dodging and blocking despite all the criticism and feedback. Dodging and rolling carry no discernible penalty while blocking still does, on top of leading the player to get surrounded. I'm not demanding they copy how the Souls games handle dodging, but surely there's got to be some tradeoff to dodging and rolling all day. If not, this is going to become Witcher 2's combat all over again, only with dashing becoming the new rolling. Action games such as Ninja Gaiden, which have as good if not better combat than the souls games, have no penalties to dodging, so Witcher 2/3's dodging system can work, but only when the enemy encounters are designed around it. Based on all the footage I've seen, that doesn't appear to be the case here.

On a positive note, they appear to have improved how responsive Geralt is when chaining attacks together. There might even be action cancelling available this time around, so the combat should at least play better than 2's, assuming Geralt does not decide to launch into random lengthy animations like before.

Perkel

Arcane
Can't comment on AA, but CDproject does not seem to have a set idea themselves (sword styles to no sword styles). Speaking of sword styles, if you have read the books, was the sword styles from W1 even a thing in the books?

From TW1 to TW2 sure. But TW3 seems just to be TW2 system expanded and polished.

As of styles there were no styles in books but i assume that you fight differently soldier, huge troll and lot of small spiders so it's not far from "styles" if you take few good moves against each different category and "keybind it" essentially creating style.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
I thought the new trailer looked pretty good actually. I really hated the combat in 2 though so ill probably pass anyway.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
"You have to think fast"

You mean press B? All the time? It was the "professional" approach, A was the Suave/Dickhead approach and Y was the Aggressive one.
If you're a retard and you're not trying to reach specific goals.

Wow, you figured out which answer was in which mode - but each character responded differently, so how does it help?

I don't know what you have to be... retarded? Blind? Socially inept? How about going with SIMPLE LOGIC? You meet a guy in a suit that talks like a goverment agent. Do you:
A - Act like a dickwad
B - Go "THIS IS AMERUCA" aggro on him
C - Comply and be professional with a guy, who doesn't like stupid people

It was very simple to guess what the NPCs wanted to hear in AP.
I guess I got immersed too much, I really wanted to bed all the dames #teamsis

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
The problem is - Alpha Protocol is Mass Effect +1. There you have two options - Renegade or Paragon. In AP you have three options. I like it more, but that's it.

hiver

And what did you expect ? That you will be standing in one place and fighting with sword and shield ?
They only care to create combat so that it will look more or less like in the books. In books G wasn't stationary and dodged a lot.
If you are asking me... im expecting i dont have to answer strawman arguments that you invented and then criticize.

Rolling is silly like tw2 shown but they need to do something without player animations being completely shit or restricting movement.
Why is that "something" super stupid rolling and pirouetting without any penalties or cost in anything?

Does the choice really have to be between two completely stupid extremes?

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Imo best way would be to implement Batman like combat system just with more movement but i doubt they are able to do so since no one can really ape even first iteration of it in batman AA and few tried.
Also it is sword/multiple weapons fight so it is not really like Batman AA case of fighting hand to hand for whatever reasons.
God, please no. Twitcher 2 early trailers had them saying they were going for AA style for a bit. I guess you can still see it in the x-button does one attack when close, another when far. It's just in Twitcher it's less precise I suppose, it won't float you right to the enemy and land the hit every time. I prefer a button or a button combination (up and x, down and x, x as the second part of a combo etc.) trigger the same attack each time, leave it up to the player to decide if a gap closer is a good idea based on what's going on then input accordingly.

Had my first experience with a From Software game (never had anything that would run the PC ones at a satisfactory framerate, don't have the consoles they were released on) in Bloodborne at a mates house recently, I like that. Every time I attacked, I knew what animation would play and how long it would take to land and it's area of effect. For a Witcher game just x 3 the movement speed, have a lower stamina cost for dodging and have very fast attacks that shred human-types. That'll do :lol: . DMC3 was another 3d action game I liked, also didn't have attacks that were altered by range IIRC.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Looks like Asscreed meets Big Game Hunter meets Wii Sport meets GTA meets children's fables. I'm guessing the inclusion of mini games is to break the monotony of the huge, boring ass world. Running and riding around like a shmuck.
It's every game I didn't want to play, all rolled up into one. But risque because 'mature'. Remove the swearing and you're running around a map waiting for cutscenes. Yawn me a river.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I'm guessing the inclusion of mini games is to break the monotony of the huge, boring ass world.
Mini games are nothing new - they were in previous installments as well. As for the world, if it's really like Skyrim, I probably won't stay for long. These days I just don't have enough time for games where you run around for hours without really accomplishing anything.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
I remember playing a lot of dice in both TW 1 and 2.

The only thing about it I don't have fond memories of is one of the sorceresses in Vergen. I won't ever forget her name. Felicia Cori. It took me longer to beat her at dice than it did to complete the entire game.

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
Couldn't you cheat at dice in the game using whatever force sign you had?

PS I actually didn't mind the boxing the tavern drunk minigames (I know they were piss easy QTE's but a little optional one isn't as offensive as required ones to kill bosses).

Sykar

Arcane
Playing dice was fun in TW1 :rpgcodex:

Not for me. I sincerely believe that the game was rigged.

Couldn't you cheat at dice in the game using whatever force sign you had?

PS I actually didn't mind the boxing the tavern drunk minigames (I know they were piss easy QTE's but a little optional one isn't as offensive as required ones to kill bosses).

TW1 boxing taught me that boxers seem to have problems with itching balls.

:troll:

eremita

Savant
"You have to think fast"

You mean press B? All the time? It was the "professional" approach, A was the Suave/Dickhead approach and Y was the Aggressive one.
If you're a retard and you're not trying to reach specific goals.

Wow, you figured out which answer was in which mode - but each character responded differently, so how does it help?

I don't know what you have to be... retarded? Blind? Socially inept? How about going with SIMPLE LOGIC? You meet a guy in a suit that talks like a goverment agent. Do you:
A - Act like a dickwad
B - Go "THIS IS AMERUCA" aggro on him
C - Comply and be professional with a guy, who doesn't like stupid people

It was very simple to guess what the NPCs wanted to hear in AP.
And because designers knew that professional approach would seem obvious to anyone, they played a little trick. If you constantly act like an asshole (suave) to Marbug, he'll be so pissed at Thornton, he'll loses his shit later in the museum and won't run away. That's right, you can kill Marbug early, which can be very helpful in the end. Did you know that Havoc? Did you? You didn't, because unlike me, you haven'ť played the game seven times watched different outcomes on youtube... Where's your simple logic now, Captain Obvious? It's actually pretty clever if you think about it. When it comes to CC and fucking around with psychology of the characters, AP is pretty fucking great. Too bad codex can't into popamoles...

The problem is - Alpha Protocol is Mass Effect +1. There you have two options - Renegade or Paragon. In AP you have three options. I like it more, but that's it.
:nocountryforshitposters:

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Looks like Asscreed meets Big Game Hunter meets Wii Sport meets GTA meets children's fables. I'm guessing the inclusion of mini games is to break the monotony of the huge, boring ass world. Running and riding around like a shmuck.
It's every game I didn't want to play, all rolled up into one. But risque because 'mature'. Remove the swearing and you're running around a map waiting for cutscenes. Yawn me a river.
Dreadd, please send me an early access code for the game. Pretty please, I want to play it right now just like you do. At least I hope you really play it now and not pulling things out of your ass.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Graphix whoring time

LMnd7w.jpg

xAgD6r.jpg

2AxjpN.jpg

3kYjOz.jpg

8c4J8Q.jpg

9148ql.jpg

DyVdk4.jpg

IT COULD LOOK BETTER, I'M NOT THAT IMPRESSED

Gerrard

Arcane
Even if this new card game is good, the cards themselves look completely out of place.

There was nothing fun about the dice, ever.

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
I dread to think about the PC requirements for this game. Still, it will at least be a good open world RPG, unlike Skyrim which was only as good as its mods.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom