Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
This is the game where you fuck on top of a dead unicorn. None of this should be a surprise to anyone.:retarded:

It's a stuffed unicorn. Nobody said it was dead.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Cucked by
jar-jar-binks.jpg

Alfons

Prophet
I'm fully expecting that unicorn horn to be utilized by the way and I'm not joking.

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
Haters in this thread pretending like they're not talking about the game that will single-handedly turn around the Polish economy and turn Poland into a financial powerhouse. Years from now, when Eastern Europe has become the most developed region of the Earth, economists will look back at the Steam charts to pinpoint the beginning of the Polish Miracle.

:troll:

POLSKA GURO

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Why is that Witcher 3 is called out on its supposedly shitty combat, while garbage like DAI is hailed as the best game ever?
I am more wondering how are DAI 99% fetch quests considered good while they are bashing fetch quests in TW3?

Fetch quest makes up 100% of any RPG game. If you boil any quest down to it's core they are all fetch quests. The question is how much of that core mechanic is abstracted behind coherent story.
DA:I Shoves you in an empty world of respawning enemies and says go collect some fucking skulls faggot.

The Witcher 3 has you meeting a merchant on the side of a road, you go to his wagon, your attacked, solve some mystery. Whatever.

Is it shakespeare? Nah. Comparing the two though is completely unfair.

EDIT: I misread what you said but the logic applies.
Don't play word Nazi with us. You know well what we all mean when we talk about fetch quests.

I was not trying to be pedantic or trolling. This is how I feel.

Whenever I am getting into a story and I hear an NPC start saying shit in the dialogue like.. "There is just one more thing we need <charname> .." I know a fetch quest is coming. Maybe it's because I am a software developer and see games more mechanically then others but I just feel the gamey parts being shoe'd in especially when the story is good.

I include "Travel to the Place and perform the mcguffin ritual" as a fetch quest btw.

Now if your argument was meant to only include MMO Style Quests (Collect the 5/7 Mcguffins).. Then I apologize and my logic doesn't apply. RPG's at their base though are always based around the formula of "Travel There, Kill That, Collect This, Perform This Action In That Dungeon Over There, Get Ambushed Here"

Nah Fuck You :flamesaw:

Rupuka

Novice
I was not trying to be pedantic or trolling. This is how I feel.

Whenever I am getting into a story and I hear an NPC start saying shit in the dialogue like.. "There is just one more thing we need <charname> .." I know a fetch quest is coming. Maybe it's because I am a software developer and see games more mechanically then others but I just feel the gamey parts being shoe'd in especially when the story is good.

I include "Travel to the Place and perform the mcguffin ritual" as a fetch quest btw.

Now if your argument was meant to only include MMO Style Quests (Collect the 5/7 Mcguffins).. Then I apologize and my logic doesn't apply. RPG's at their base though are always based around the formula of "Travel There, Kill That, Collect This, Perform This Action In That Dungeon Over There, Get Ambushed Here"
[/spoiler]
If your definition is so wide, hardly anything doesn't follow that formula, even every other genre, racing games are "travel here", fighting is "kill this" and puzzles are about "performing x action"

The definition is too broad to be meaningful, everything would be a fetch quest

Alfons

Prophet
Appealing to pirates with a promise of free shit. This fella sure doesn't know how these guys operate.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Appealing to pirates with a promise of free shit. This fella sure doesn't know how these guys operate.

A lot of pirates have a moral compass that they use to internally justify why it's okay to pirate / steal software. Any slight a company does is usually grounds for a Pirate to steal software with justified vigor. When CD Projekt comes out and asks for people to support them it makes it harder for pirates to justify their actions.

Of course a Pirate always has an ace in the sleeve. "I just have no money right now.. I will buy it once things pick up".. Although that logic breaks down especially if you have a rig powerful enough to run Witcher 3. 5000 dollar rig but not 30 - 50 bucks for Witcher.. seems legit bro.

Before you say anything.. I actually pay monthly for several VPN / TOR solutions so I can pirate safely without worry of seed sniping from Copyright Trolls. I just don't hold illusions that I am on some moral high ground. I hate back pedaling worms in the TBP community.

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

A lot of pirates have a moral compass that they use to internally justify why it's okay to pirate / steal software. Any slight a company does is usually grounds for a Pirate to steal software with justified vigor. When CD Projekt comes out and asks for people to support them it makes it harder for pirates to justify their actions.

Of course a Pirate always has an ace in the sleeve. "I just have no money right now.. I will buy it once things pick up".. Although that logic breaks down especially if you have a rig powerful enough to run Witcher 3. 5000 dollar rig but not 30 - 50 bucks for Witcher.. seems legit bro.

Before you say anything.. I actually pay monthly for several VPN / TOR solutions so I can pirate safely without worry of seed sniping from Copyright Trolls. I just don't hold illusions that I am on some moral high ground. I hate back pedaling worms in the TBP community.

^ The latter covers most of the pirates on the Codex who refuse to admit they just don't want to pay for something.

Alfons

Prophet
I just think that the faggot type pirates are a very vocal minority, but if the purpose of CDPR is to get what they can I suppose it might not be completely pointless.

The effectiveness of that action is questionable at best. Like you said, the thing with excuses is you can always pull another one out of your ass.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
nah no refund cause its not under gud game guarantee by origins

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom