Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Witcher is Fully Enhanced

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Got my copy.
Almost every component in PC is like 5 year old. And the game is playable on medium settings. I like new Triss tits... ahem, enhancements so far.
For fuck's sake is there way to disable bloom?

Lesifoere

Liturgist
I think you can disable/lower the bloom with one of the lighting settings, or something.

And yeah, funny thing, when I first got the game I too played it on a computer five plus years old. God, the performance in chapter three was fucking terrible.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
English VO and writing is head above russian. English font is nicer too.

edit: maybe it's because i'm too anal to quality of russian and may skip tons of english mistakes.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Is there anything that can be below?
Considering that russian version had castrated dialogues and only 4 voice actors.
And as I take it they didn't fix a thing so russian localization still remains the shittiest one to date.

Suchy

Arcane
Licaon_Kter said:
Thanks, but I already fixed the problem using the Universal Extractor method.
Simply extract the installer to some dir, put language pack and adventures in that dir and run setup, works all right.

As for the voice acting... I think the best way is to use Polish voices+whatever subtitles you like. From what I've seen it's still the best voice acting in this game, except some terribly annoying females. Vincent Weiss had the best voiceover i've ever heard in a video game.
English dubbing is OK imho, but nothing special. Maybe I'm just more tolerant for poor acting in a foreign language.

made

Arcane
I'm curious, how do the Polish voiceovers work out for those of you not familiar with the language? Do they fit the setting and characters, does it enhance the atmosphere, or does it sound totally weird and breaks your immersion having to read subtitles and not understanding the spoken word? Share your experiences plx.

Oarfish

Prophet
It makes the problem of the still slightly stilted (but better than oblivion) acting go away. I don't understand Polish at all, so cannot hear inflection or pacing (or bad attempts at regional English accents..). So as long as it's delivered reasonably naturally it sounds like good acting - the arthouse movie effect.

And the good thing about subtitles is you can read them faster than they are delivered too.

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
made said:
I'm curious, how do the Polish voiceovers work out for those of you not familiar with the language? Do they fit the setting and characters, does it enhance the atmosphere, or does it sound totally weird and breaks your immersion having to read subtitles and not understanding the spoken word? Share your experiences plx.
What Oarfish said. The Polish VA also makes the setting feel more natural and alien.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Tried polish VO. Language has slavic roots so I understand some of. Some phrazes sound like ukrainian. But I can't play for long with it. And I don't see that it's better voiced than english.
More like english==polish>>>>>>>>russian

buccaroobonzai

Scholar
If I already have the original version, can you download everything in the Enhanced Edition, or is there exclusive material in the EE that can only be purchased with the CD?

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Physical things like cloth maps and such, I imagine, but everything else you can get for free: language packs, soundtrack, "making of" videos, and all the rest.

Frau Bishop

Erudite
Online registration needed to patch, great idea in the first place, but even funnier with this lousy and buggy reg-tool. Witcher keeps telling me to enable cookies in IE. And the support tells me to turn off the firewall and antivirus. And defrag some.
"Game registration - problems and solutions here « 1 2 ... 53 54 »
"Enhanced Edition installation problems and solutions « 1 2 ... 68 69 »"
Lots of people with defrag-problems for sure.

So what now, am I going to crack a game I paid for? Again?
No. I will deinstall and forget about this great patch you generous guys made for us.
Thanks for trying, CD Projekt. It was no triumph. If anything it made me wary about Witcher2 and it's copy protection. Three installs maybe? We'll see.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Yup, this registration problem is a serious fuckup of theirs. I wrote some detailed posts about this on their forum a YEAR ago, but it seems they decided it wasn't worth the hassle. Too bad for their image. Their web-related coders are either 1) lazy or 2) stupid when it comes to prioritizing (because such issues as registration are goddamn MPORTANT) or 3) incompetent.

And when I was only told to enable cookies, check the firewall and antivir, which I of course did, and then saw their attitude was basically "whateva dude the problem is on YOUR side", I was pretty offended.

The problem resolved itself when I reinstalled Windows 3 months later.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Elwro said:
The problem resolved itself when I reinstalled Windows 3 months later.

So I guess the problem was on your side! :)

Frau Bishop

Erudite
DraQ said:
Frau Bishop said:
Online registration needed to patch
Odd, I seem to be able to access the patch without logging in.
That's because you are allowed to download the 953 MB without registration.
Then you have to "activate" your game, or try to activate it, to finally be able to install your download. That's a thing between your already installed Witcher and the internetz.
And one of them fails pretty often, or so it seems when you take a look at the Witcher forum.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom