Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Witcher is Fully Enhanced

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
WhiskeyWolf said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
WhiskeyWolf said:
The is also something about Atari and a Lawsuit
DO NOT BUY THIS GAME

Last year i bought a legel copy from the hut of the original witcher.
Around 8 months later atari said i had downloaded it and tried to blackmail me for £550.
This problem was only fixed when another member of eurogamer helped pay my solictor fees to get Atari of my back.

STAY AWAY FROM THIS GAME
Somehow this just seems like an unbelievably stupid attack on TW...
It's not only him, the few first comments say something similar, has Atari done something, AGAIN?
I doubt it. Proving that you have a real copy of a game in a case like this is easy, which would only have left these jackasses richer.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
DraQ said:
CDP-RED people knew what they were doing when they chose familiar cast, and familiar protagonist, but gave him amnesia. It allowed them to both keep their cookie and eat it, not once, but twice.
Actuall, as "familiar cast" was present in the final scene of the book, it will be logical of them to tell amnesiac Geralt about what happened. Seeing them acting like nothing happened was a huge immersion breaker for me.
They should have gone with unknown young witcher in classical rpg way, not with this amnesiac Geralt bs.

DraQ

Arcane
Hamster said:
DraQ said:
CDP-RED people knew what they were doing when they chose familiar cast, and familiar protagonist, but gave him amnesia. It allowed them to both keep their cookie and eat it, not once, but twice.
Actuall, as "familiar cast" was present in the final scene of the book, it will be logical of them to tell amnesiac Geralt about what happened. Seeing them acting like nothing happened was a huge immersion breaker for me.
Weren't various events from the saga, including Geralt's (apparent?) demise referenced numerous times in the game though?

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
DraQ said:
Hamster said:
DraQ said:
Weren't various events from the saga, including Geralt's (apparent?) demise referenced numerous times in the game though?
Yeah, there were some cameos, but that was not enough.
How i see it, the first thing any charachter who was present at the final scene of the book will ask is "Hey, what happened to Ciri and Yennifer?", seeing how instead they talk about insignificant crap was pretty retarded.

Ausir

Arcane
Yup, that was the weakest part of the story.

And I'm not normally eager to register the game either, but DU's complaints about the registration requirement are still pretty silly. And you have to register to download any patch from The Witcher's official site, not only EE.

Ander Vinz

Scholar
Too bad I missed all the fun but "download 3GB of patches" doesn't deserve much praising and really pisses me off.

You want to play Gothic 2? Wait until add-on which adds everything that was planned for the original game and pay for it.
Gothic 3? Fuck you! If you like the game, join the community and patch it yourself, you worm! Our programmers are too good for this.
Arcanum? Wait for 7(!) years until some nutso programmer shows up. Only then you'll see the awesomeness of our game.
Bloodlines? Patching is still in progress. Hey, even Fallout 2 still has bugs.
KotOR2? Tough noogies.
Neverwinter Nights 2? Oh, it'll run better on your computer. Just wait for some patches. And two add-ons. And some adventure packs.
The Witcher? You'll get patches. And even two shitty quests called "adventures".
Just when you no longer need 'em. Except if you haven't played the game yet.

Everebody with half a brain can understand the recipe:
Start making a game. Upon reaching alpha build sell it as a paid beta or "initial release". Patch most game-crashing bugs and announce an add-on (which is beta-build). Repeat if sells good. Sell paid beta (so-called add-on) and patch it a little. Then you can publish final 1.0 as a GOTY, Gold, Enhanced or even "1337" edition.

Let's take Drakensang. Soon after release patches were announced and add-on info leaked.
I bet patches will improve perfomance and polish the game while with add-on it will become better experience.
I am glad I'm not german and can wait until UBER EDITION before buying.

Gerrard

Arcane
WhiskeyWolf said:
I just took a look at the Eurogamers review... and the comments, I found this gem:

The best bit about the game is the choices, which aren't obviously good or evil like they are in the other RPGs. Instead you're stuck between a rock and a hard place, with the consequences of a choice only becoming apparent much later on in the game - by which time it's too late to do change them.

Ugh. That sounds horrible! I don't want my gameplay restricted by choices where the outcome isn't apparent until hours later and I'm forced to do lengthy replays to get the full experience I paid for. Bad!
...Todd?

DraQ

Arcane
Gerrard said:
WhiskeyWolf said:
I just took a look at the Eurogamers review... and the comments, I found this gem:

The best bit about the game is the choices, which aren't obviously good or evil like they are in the other RPGs. Instead you're stuck between a rock and a hard place, with the consequences of a choice only becoming apparent much later on in the game - by which time it's too late to do change them.

Ugh. That sounds horrible! I don't want my gameplay restricted by choices where the outcome isn't apparent until hours later and I'm forced to do lengthy replays to get the full experience I paid for. Bad!
...Todd?
mondblut!

Shannow

Waster of Time
Ausir said:
Yup, that was the weakest part of the story.

And I'm not normally eager to register the game either, but DU's complaints about the registration requirement are still pretty silly. And you have to register to download any patch from The Witcher's official site, not only EE.

http://www.thewitcher.com/registration/ ... patch.html

I'm not registered there. I don't even have the witcher. I'm downloading the 1.3 patch right now. How often do I have to spam this thread before you stop posting posting silly accusations like that?
Now to make sure that I could install it if I had the game...

34%
42%
passing some time on fantsti.cc
100%

The exe is executable and just moans because TW isn't installed and not because I'm not registered. Stop babbling after DU. He's just sucking "facts" out of thumbs to "prove" his points.

Ander Vinz said:
Too bad I missed all the fun but "download 3GB of patches" doesn't deserve much praising and really pisses me off.

You want to play Gothic 2? Wait until add-on which adds everything that was planned for the original game and pay for it.
Gothic 3? Fuck you! If you like the game, join the community and patch it yourself, you worm! Our programmers are too good for this.
Arcanum? Wait for 7(!) years until some nutso programmer shows up. Only then you'll see the awesomeness of our game.
KotOR2? Tough noogies.
Neverwinter Nights 2? Oh, it'll run better on your computer. Just wait for some patches. And two add-ons. And some adventure packs.
The Witcher? You'll get patches. And even two shitty quests called "adventures".
Games are like wine. They get better with the age.

Fez

Erudite
I registered with them and I didn't notice any particular issues with spam. They send the occasional newsletter, but it's not very often. I'm downloading the 1.3 patch now and I'll get the rest as I go along.

szoreny

Novice
Lancaster County Pennsylvania United States Amuric
DarkUnderlord said:

Jesus. Its a patch, you can download it. If registration bothers you so much sign up for a hotmail account and use it exclusively for junk registrations.

You talk of the boxed EE extras as if they're desirable. Adding bonuses inside the box is not tantamount to forcing a purchase. It is, I suppose, some form of incentive for bizarro fans.

I'm not gonna begrudge CD-P for using a big patch as an opportunity to relaunch their product, not gonna buy it either...good thing they don't have the hubris to try and force me to.

Comparing this patch to Beth-soft's micro transactions is a stretch. The GOTY analogy is more accurate. Your rage is bizzare. Your position that CD-P doesn't deserve cock-sucking for releasing a large patch is accurate. Your anger would be well-placed if CD-P was only offering the patch via retail. Rage over a simple online registration, in this day of the extreme DRM schemes some publishers are imposing on their customers, is hollow.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Ok, Witcher is extend.

I now have a pc that can run it. Loading times have been reduced to accepteable levels. Weird translation has been fixed. The EE comes with the international installer so I can play in English or even Polish if I want.

So what am I waiting for? Christmas. This is the kind of game I'd like to play in the winter holidays and by then the price should have fallen.

What I can't stand is hearing that bullshit that the game is attractively priced. Who started that rumour and why are people still repeating that? As of today it costs €39,97 in germany or £24.98 in the UK. So they are treating it like a new release.

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
GlobalExplorer said:
As of today it costs €39,97 in germany or £24.98 in the UK. So they are treating it like a new release.
£17.99 + Free UK Delivery at DVD.

Unrelated, but Mount & Blade is £25.03 at DVD for whatever reason when you can get it from Play.com for £17.99 + Free Delivery. It really does pay to look around. :D

Kraszu

Prophet
Ander Vinz said:

Gothic 2 gold have big context on its own, often more is planned then some things are cut in development, they are bad becouse they plan to much? It is not like G2 story was broken or had unfinished houses, or towers that you could not get into.

Ander Vinz said:

Loading times were much to big, but other then that there was so much bugs in game?

Often game has to many bugs, or broken part of it, and should not be realised in the state that it was, but no(?) game is truly finished (in the sense that developers would not want to add something or tweak something).

bezimek

Scholar
Ander Vinz said:

KotOR2? Tough noogies.

Everebody with half a brain can understand the recipe:
Start making a game. Upon reaching alpha build sell it as a paid beta or "initial release". Patch most game-crashing bugs and announce an add-on (which is beta-build). Repeat if sells good. Sell paid beta (so-called add-on) and patch it a little. Then you can publish final 1.0 as a GOTY, Gold, Enhanced or even "1337" edition.

Let's take Drakensang. Soon after release patches were announced and add-on info leaked.
I bet patches will improve perfomance and polish the game while with add-on it will become better experience.
I am glad I'm not german and can wait until UBER EDITION before buying.

+1

Witcher 1.0 (and NWN2, Gothic 3, etc .......and Fallout 1.0 ) was almost not playable (load/save time, CTD. uber PC to run) and now we all thanks CDP for free patches - something which should be included in first version of the game. It is just plain stupid. I am not beta tester and game have to be finish befor CDP or Bioware or whatever puts it on the market.

Fez

Erudite
Hey look guys, he's Polish and he's agreeing with DU too. I think the Matrix needs resetting or something.

Ander Vinz

Scholar
Kraszu said:
Gothic 2 gold have big context on its own
Gothic 2 Gold is vanilla Gothic 2 + Night of the Raven in one box

It is not like G2 story was broken or had unfinished houses
Water mages? Dexter? Too little escaped convicts running around?

Loading times were much to big, but other then that there was so much bugs in game?
You forgot autosaving.

bezimek said:
Witcher 1.0 was almost not playable (load/save time, CTD. uber PC to run) and now we all thanks CDP for free patches.
Well, Troika didn't even bother to patch their games properly...

Mareus

Magister
I believe many people restrained themselves from finishing the game when they heard the EE is coming out.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Ander Vinz said:
Was Gothic 2 unplayable? A bad game? A feature-less rip off a-la Dungeon Lords?

Or buy a decent computer.

Wait? Arcanum is also unplayable? Even though it was praised as one of the best or *the* best RPG during those 7 years?

Bloodlines? Patching is still in progress.
Even though it was perfectly playable out of the box or with the first patch released in 2-3 weeks after the release.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Vault Dweller said:
Even though it was perfectly playable out of the box or with the first patch released in 2-3 weeks after the release.
Not out of the box but with "cheating" after searching the net for me...

And I gave up on Arcanum when I was too stupid to solve the puzzle on the magical island. Might have been a bug, too. With Arcanum you never know... :(

Whether bugs render a game unplayable is always a matter of attitude but every Troika game fulfills conditions for bugs that I'd accept as rendering a game "unplayable":
CTD at certain relevant points, major bugs in the main story line, a stuttering and lagging of the engine that slows down gameplay to a crawl.

IMHO, G2 was a great game, but I felt that it was unfinished in parts (especially the Dexter story arc) without NotR.

So we all hate obviously unfinished, bug-ridden games, mmkay. Can we please get back to bashing CDP for forcing us pay for patches for bad aRPGs that we don't like?

RainSong

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
Ander Vinz said:
Bloodlines? Patching is still in progress.

buahahahahahahahahahahahah hihihihihihihi hohohohohoh hehehehehe

enough?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom