Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Witcher is Fully Enhanced

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
By the way Mr Yarpen, can I get a turkey sandwich sent to my address? I already registered my Witcher copy.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Merilinda said:
I finally decided to check out the inof on Witcher that sounded kind of cool. And what do I see? The same old, the same old. Pre-defined character, and a male. Gah. End of story for me, that's for sure. How difficult is to plug a char-gen and alter a story for a female lead? But, no, no, no. Forget it. Only real manly men play computer games. Argh!!!!
DU's crusade is nothing compared to the mad rampage of Merilinda:

http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=11694

Shannow

Waster of Time
DarkUnderlord said:
Pop quiz: How many people <s>signed up for spam from the marketing department</s> registered their game? Because I didn't. I never have and have no intention of starting to register my games.
I signed up for their crappy browser game. Never got any spam from them.
But then, I wouldn't want to register for the EE content either. But that's our choice, not some failing on their side.

Finding out I needed to register the game in order to "reduce load times" for a game that had such long load times I thought "fuck it, I'll play it later when they patch them" is a slap in DU's face.
DU doesn't expect to have to pay for patches and then be told it's a good thing by an army of fanbois.

http://www.thewitcher.com/registration/ ... patch.html

Don't let facts ruin your rant :patriot:

Monolith

Prophet
DarkUnderlord said:
If by "self-financed" you mean "they're re-couping their costs by selling the Game of the Year Edition" then I'd agree with you. If this was self-financed and really for free, then why can't everyone who's bought The Witcher simply download the EE changes as a patch? Why did you have to register before the EE was released?
Everyone who's bought The Witcher can simply download the EE for free. After spending one fucking minute on registering the original copy to verify that they actually own it. It's free like every patch for a Stardock game is free. Free meaning it doesn't cost you fucking money. And it's self-financed because no publisher wanted to pay for all the new VOs. My guess is they would have if it had looked like a good business opportunity.

So if you bought the Collector's Edition, you can now buy another Collector's Edition for less than what you originally paid. The more astute (and less Polish) amongst you will note that that's not "free". Feeling ripped off much?
No, because if you bought the Collector's Edition, you can get all the additional content for free. Granted, I'd be a little bit pissed off seeing a better version of The Witcher for less with all the content I payed additional money for - but I regard everybody who buys Collector's Editions as idiots anyway so I don't really care. Plus, I got the Collector's Edition for the regular price, 'cause that's how it's been sold here in Poland.

That's definitely one reason why I like to spend more money on a game I've already bought.
You own it, you get it for free.

You mean the patches? Awesome. I'm glad the latest release comes with all the patches.
The point is, it's not just fixes, it's also additional content, it's self-financed new VOs - and something like that has never been released as a patch for free. While I do agree that it's overhyped, it's still what it is - a patch containing changes no other game developer out there right now would give away for free, or just think of making. And if the hype helps them to sell more, I'm all for it. It'll allow them to develop further titles - and from what I gathered from the interview, they'll be more the Codex way than The Witcher - althouth still action RPGs.

I'm still waiting on a non-Polish fanboy to provide a review on the actual content of those developer made mods and the construction kit's already been released.
And I'm still waiting for my review copy. If I get it, you'll get your non-Polish fanboy review of both, because I'm neither Polish, nor a fanboy. Show me one post where I praised The Witcher like it's the second coming of Jesus? I like it, had a lot of fun playing it, more than playing anything else in the last couple of years - but it's certainly not the best RPG, nor is it perfect. It's a solid action RPG where much of the action is optional, with an interesting setting, great atmosphere, a solid story, some but not enough C&C and, if you got the Polish version, good dialogues. It's got a lot of potential and from what I was told, CD Projekt is about to tap that - and so far I've got no reason to disbelieve them.

What? Somebody had to put up with bullshit from evil publishers? Evil publishers who are responsible for the bad translation in the first place? That's terrible. I'm appalled that developers have to put up with people like Evil Publishers™. It's always those Evil Publishers™ that are responsible for making sub-par games that need giant patches.
CD Projekt pretty much said they're responsible for the sub-par parts of the game - if they didn't, they pretty much will if I get around to send them my set of questions. Anyway, it wasn't what I was pointing at. Whatever, you're right, CD Projekt, eat shit n die.

They're re-releasing the same game with a patch and you guys are praising them for it as if no-one else has ever released a Game of the Year Edition before. What gives? Oh right, you're all Polish.
I'm not. Anyway, nobody has ever given away that GotY-Edition for free to anybody that owned the original. Plus, no GotY-Edition I know has that many changes - like all the fuckin VOs re-recorded.

Only if you signed up to their marketing department before the EE was released.
What, you can't sign up now and download the EE tomorrow when it's released world wide?

Speaking of which, I bought The Witcher but can't get the free goodies because I didn't register. Guess where I can go to get all the Enhanced stuff for free without getting that ripped off feeling? It's okay, CD Projekt are totally awesome and they'd want me to do that.
Yeah, because having to register costs you money. If not, it ain't rippin' off. It's a good business model - giving patches only to those that evidently own a copy. Same thing as with Stardock, afaik, and I haven't seen many complain there.

By the way, location: Poland.
For now. So what?

So is there anyone who's not from Poland around here that's actually singing the praises of this new patch and has finished the game?
Then again, I don't see anybody here actually praising this new patch - just somebody bitchin' like there's no tomorrow.

Hazelnut

Erudite
DU, do shut the fuck up and stop being such a douche - there's a good chap.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Wyrmlord said:
Come to think of it, DU...

The only people who love Witcher so much are the Polish zealots. Ever. I have literally heard many copy-paste opinions on the internet that basically go "The Witcher is the greatest RPG ever made and I am not biased because I am Polish."

And nobody ever really specified what exactly it is that they like about the Witcher. They just say that it's a good game.

And when they DO mention anything about it, they mention the BAD stuff, and say the game is good DESPITE it.

While not being Polish I still think the Witcher is one of the best rpg's from last year. I don't know what others liked about the Witcher, but here's what I specifically enjoyed about the game.

The storyline and atmosphere of the game world. I really enjoyed playing as a monster slayer for hire in a world that was portrayed a lot more interesting than the standard fantasy.

I've yet to see an rpg where C&C was such an integral part of gameplay as it was in the witcher. The way many consequences were portrayed using the little slidescreen comics was something I also enjoyed very much.

Quests felt diverse and after the first chapter the game really opened up. It sometimes felt like I really was busy with an investigation in which I wasn't being led by the hand. It seemed like all the different quests had multiple ways to complete them and opened up other avenues depending on how you solved them. There's also something about a game that cuts of different approaches because of actions you did in the past.

Combat was actually a lot more intuitive and fun than I had expected. It's a simple but elegant system in which you have to time your mouseclicks for the best results. On the higher difficulties going in unprepared can really cost you, but I never had too much of a problem with it. It's interesting enough not to be a bore and it keeps going into new areas exciting. If you don't like rt and can only live with tb or rtwp it might not be for you though.

Alchemy is something that usually doesn't interest me at all. however in the Witcher it felt rather elegant and unobtrusive and the postive effects were so apparant and fun (nightsight, flaming oils to apply to weapons, speed potions that slow the world down) that I just rolled into it. There just is something about taking a potion for nightsight to prepare for a difficult and dark tomb filled with the undead.

Exploration is something that I always enjoy immensely and that can make or break a game for me. The witcher has a number of huge area's with lots to see and do while actively encouraging exploration by having bounties for different monster types and several cool and unexpected encounters and easter eggs in odd places.

Music was the standard epic fantasy fanfare. I kinda like that stuff though.

Graphics were rather amazing. especially when you consider that it's just a heavily souped up version of the aurora engine. Special consideration should go to the art direction. The town really looks and feels like a medieval city, the swamps are dark and scary and an inn looks like an inn should. You can have the best graphic's engine around, but without a good art direction a game can still feel stilted and fake (oblivion anyone?) The Witcher has a world that looks the way it's portrayed in the books and in the game.

All in all it was one of my fav games of last year. Rpg wise it was only outclassed by MOTB, although I thought that as a game the Witcher was better overall.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
DarkUnderlord said:
So is there anyone who's not from Poland around here that's actually singing the praises of this new patch and has finished the game?
:raises hand:
Admiral jimbob said:
Did I have to register my game before the EE's release in order to download it, or is DU just gibbering again?
The latter.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Oh NOES ! DU lost his chance to make his Witcher EE news post ! Now he must go back into spamming us with trivial FO3 newsposts...

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Well if I give a rave reviews of Divinity 2, it'll be because I'm from Belgium.

by the way Divinity 2 will be the best CRPG of the universe with C&C undreamed of!

Deleted member 7219

DU you fucking liar, you don't need to pay for any of the Witcher patches if you already own the game.

Pastel

Scholar
DarkUnderlord said:
Pop quiz: How many people <s>signed up for spam from the marketing department</s> registered their game? Because I didn't. I never have and have no intention of starting to register my games.
I don't really give a fuck about this shitty debate, but are you seriously complaining that you have to register to their site before you can download stuff?

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
I really liked the thread he started where he whined about having to install so many patches before playing a game.

Quality posting

RainSong

Scholar
It's a good thing DU hadn't had the power few years ago when BlackIsle/Troika were still around. Just imagine his bashing of all the unaddressed bugs in Fallout1/2, Arcanum/VtM:B. Then after every official/unofficial path he would moan some more about how the pathes arent free (!?)

Then again I think I'll take an example from him and start bashing MotB to the grave as I've spend my money on it over a year ago and after all this time and pathes (official and even some unofficial) it still crashes on me when leaving the first dungeon.

MotB is unplayable piece of crap !!! (moan, moan)

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
DU is right.

I don't know what CDProject is thinking.
I mean, they are forcing you to register on their homepage!
They could send you emails!
How horrible is that?!

:roll:

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
I just took a look at the Eurogamers review... and the comments, I found this gem:

The best bit about the game is the choices, which aren't obviously good or evil like they are in the other RPGs. Instead you're stuck between a rock and a hard place, with the consequences of a choice only becoming apparent much later on in the game - by which time it's too late to do change them.

Ugh. That sounds horrible! I don't want my gameplay restricted by choices where the outcome isn't apparent until hours later and I'm forced to do lengthy replays to get the full experience I paid for. Bad!

The is also something about Atari and a Lawsuit
DO NOT BUY THIS GAME

Last year i bought a legel copy from the hut of the original witcher.
Around 8 months later atari said i had downloaded it and tried to blackmail me for £550.
This problem was only fixed when another member of eurogamer helped pay my solictor fees to get Atari of my back.

STAY AWAY FROM THIS GAME

DraQ

Arcane
WhiskeyWolf said:
I just took a look at the Eurogamers review... and the comments, I found this gem:

The best bit about the game is the choices, which aren't obviously good or evil like they are in the other RPGs. Instead you're stuck between a rock and a hard place, with the consequences of a choice only becoming apparent much later on in the game - by which time it's too late to do change them.

Ugh. That sounds horrible! I don't want my gameplay restricted by choices where the outcome isn't apparent until hours later and I'm forced to do lengthy replays to get the full experience I paid for. Bad!
:shock:
You mean there is someone like that out there?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
WhiskeyWolf said:
DO NOT BUY THIS GAME

Around 8 months later atari said i had downloaded it and tried to blackmail me for £550.
This problem was only fixed when another member of eurogamer helped pay my solictor fees to get Atari of my back.

STAY AWAY FROM THIS GAME
Somehow this just seems like an unbelievably stupid attack on TW...

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Vaarna_Aarne said:
WhiskeyWolf said:
DO NOT BUY THIS GAME

STAY AWAY FROM THIS GAME
Somehow this just seems like an unbelievably stupid attack on TW...
It's not only him, the few first comments say something similar, has Atari done something, AGAIN?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom