Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Man, I'm so looking forward to when Wizardry will be on sale. All those tears by pussified modern gamers on the steamforums ... It will be glorious.

Why do you think they will buy it to begin with?
Same reason people buy any old shit on steam. To look cool. "Fulano is now playing Wizardry 6 & 7"

#oldschool #newrules

hrose

Educated
You can always go back to level 1 using class changing. In fact, you're ought to, many times over :smug:

How is this working? I know stats reset to the base level, does it mean that all custom points are lost?

What is that you gain on level up, skills or stats? I thought that when you gain a level stats remain the same and you can allocate skills, but I guess I'm wrong?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
You can always go back to level 1 using class changing. In fact, you're ought to, many times over :smug:

How is this working? I know stats reset to the base level, does it mean that all custom points are lost?

What is that you gain on level up, skills or stats? I thought that when you gain a level stats remain the same and you can allocate skills, but I guess I'm wrong?

You lose stats, but you gain even more valuable skill points making you able to cast high level spells and get high martial arts earlier.

mondblut

Arcane

Yes, stats are reset, but you keep all your skills, spells, mana and hitpoints. And then you are levelling back from level 1, reaching level 5 by the time other party members go from level 5 to 6, thus getting 5 times as many skillpoints and shit. You can also keep manually investing those skillpoints at levelups into old skills which you can't normally use with your new class, so with a few class changes you can cover all your bases with critical hits, hiding, all magic schools and shit.

Feel the power, Luke.

On levelling, you have random stat increases (might be anywhere from 0 to 5 or so) and a bunch of skillpoints to spread between 4 groups of skills (also random, but distribution between groups depends heavily upon class; warriors get mostly weapon skillpoints, mages academia etc).

mondblut

Arcane
At some point, exploiting the class change mechanics becomes cheating and one might as well just use an editor to skip past the tedium of save scumming level up stat increases and going through levels 1-5 for 6 characters for the nth time and spreadsheet planning all that while actually trying to play the game itself.

Way to miss the point. Save scumming level up stat increases and going through levels 1-5 for 6 characters for the nth time and spreadsheet planning all that IS "actually trying to play the game itself".

This is the law; and the joy of the world.

treborSux

Arcane
Question:
Is it actually a good thing to play 6 & 7 with the same party? In, say, BG2 it makes sense since the game levels up your characters anyway, so you aren't missing out. But Wiz7 starts from level 1 normally. So I guess if you import the party from 6 you don't get the "full" experience as you are already jumpstarted through a good part of the game.

While it's fun keeping the same party I'm just wondering if it's overall better to always start from scratch instead of having characters capping high level and so increasing monotony (whereas startin from level 1 gives you more space to keep things fresh).

Because in that case I could try running Wiz6 on the Amiga, if I decide to skip importing the party.
It's definitely better to import unless you want to do a lot of class switching to get your skills up, or you think the party you had sucks and want to start fresh. Wiz 7 is very limited in how you can distribute your skill points. At least when you import you'll get around 20-30 per skill which can save you the trouble of even having to do any class switching if you dread doing that. Just don't import any good items if you want more of a challenge. You'll be kicked to about level 5 when you start which is really nothing. The first few levels happen so quickly anyway even with a fresh party.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Man, I'm so looking forward to when Wizardry will be on sale. All those tears by pussified modern gamers on the steamforums ... It will be glorious.

Why do you think they will buy it to begin with?

Moar liek, it will be "LAWL THIS GAEM SEZ IT REKWIRES HARD DRIVE! HARD DRIVE!!! OLOLOLOLO!"

Really... why not just stick to gog? Why cast thy pearls before the swine?

Fuck, a mere thought that I share a hobby with the DOTA generation sickens me. If they are "gamers", I'd rather not be one.
Actually, Wizardry 6 system requirements according to Steam are:

• Minimum:
    • Processor: 1.8 GHz Processor
    • Memory: 512 MB RAM
    • Graphics: 3D graphics card or or onboard graphics compatible with DirectX 9.0c
    • DirectX: Version 9.0c
    • Hard Drive: 1 GB available space
    • Sound Card: 100% DirectX 9 compatible card or onboard sound
  • Recommended:
    • Processor: 1.5 GHz Procesor
    • Memory: 1 GB RAM
    • Graphics: 3D graphics card or or onboard graphics compatible with DirectX 9.0c
    • Hard Drive: 128 MB available space
    • Sound Card: 100% DirectX 9 compatible card or onboard sound
:lol:

kryminator

Augur
That's probably something like standard DOSBox games requirements, maybe copied from GOG. I asked GOG.com support once why Bioforge has so high system requirements listed on their page (didn't notice that every dosbox-based game on their page has such requirements) and they respond was something like 'these are normal dosbox game requirements'. Although, I do not know where they get those standards.

And greetings Codexians btw. since its my firs post :P

DraQ

Arcane
At some point, exploiting the class change mechanics becomes cheating and one might as well just use an editor to skip past the tedium of save scumming level up stat increases and going through levels 1-5 for 6 characters for the nth time and spreadsheet planning all that while actually trying to play the game itself. One would have to be a special form of pedant to insist that going through all that trouble is somehow purer than relying on mad god's editor. Abstaining from class changing is also not a great option since you'd be grinding or scumming anyway just to get through the main storyline, let alone try the optional bosses. These games were hard in an unfair way and I do think its permissible to balance things out.
For the record, you're arguing with mondblut.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
At some point, exploiting the class change mechanics becomes cheating and one might as well just use an editor to skip past the tedium of save scumming level up stat increases and going through levels 1-5 for 6 characters for the nth time and spreadsheet planning all that while actually trying to play the game itself. One would have to be a special form of pedant to insist that going through all that trouble is somehow purer than relying on mad god's editor. Abstaining from class changing is also not a great option since you'd be grinding or scumming anyway just to get through the main storyline, let alone try the optional bosses. These games were hard in an unfair way and I do think its permissible to balance things out.
Save scumming is for the feeble and using editor instead of profession change is not the same, not even close. You can't cast any powerful spells when you change, it's challenge to keep you alive etc.

I'd say it's legitimate to use editor to get the swimming points up though, and maybe Mind Control. Better than spend an hour on stupid useless repetition.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How bad is the grind in Wizardry 8, specifically; some comparisons would be good. I hate grinding for the sake of grinding, but if it just means I have to do some side-quests to get my levels up before continuing the main quest then that's fine. Also, am I missing out on too much if I just make Wizardry 8 my first and only foray into the series?

treborSux

Arcane
How bad is the grind in Wizardry 8, specifically; some comparisons would be good. I hate grinding for the sake of grinding, but if it just means I have to do some side-quests to get my levels up before continuing the main quest then that's fine. Also, am I missing out on too much if I just make Wizardry 8 my first and only foray into the series?
You don't have to grind in Wizardry 8, and you won't want to. Battles are tediously slow and long. However there are a select amount of mobs that will regularly leave you pretty great bags of items (I won't spoil and say who, you will know when you find them).

Why exactly do you only want to play Wizardry 8? IMO Wizardry 8 is just an average game. The only reason I even kind of like it is because it is the final part of a great trilogy. The game by itself is pretty meh. But your mileage may vary.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
The only part of Wizardry 8 that is excellent is the character system - the same one as in Wizardry 6 and 7. The rest is indeed meh.

TigerKnee

Arcane
If you define "grinding" as intentionally going out of your way to seek out monsters to kill for reasons of powering yourself up, then Wiz 8 has very little grinding...

...Mostly because encounters are so often and packed with so many mobs you'll be showered in EXP (and sometimes be bored)

treborSux

Arcane
Save scumming is for the feeble and using editor instead of profession change is not the same, not even close. You can't cast any powerful spells when you change, it's challenge to keep you alive etc.

I'd say it's legitimate to use editor to get the swimming points up though, and maybe Mind Control. Better than spend an hour on stupid useless repetition.

Class change strategies absolutely rely on save scumming since level up stat upgrades are random and you could well go 1-5 without getting the "right" stats for your next class, especially if it's something prereq crazy like ninja. I don't see how one form of cheating is nobler than another; rather we should just be pragmatic about these things and minimize boring repetition. The fun of Wiz 6 and 7 is more about enjoying Bradley's overwrought prose and (attempting to) solving his obscure puzzles.
Except save scumming isn't cheating.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I decided to ally with T'Rang for the first time ever and get K'Borra the coordinates. Now, is there any way to get them without fighting through hordes of Umpani at the Spaceport? Moreover, how many of those mothers are there? Every step at the spaceport there is a huge group popping up and the areas don't "clear". I have to fight the same dudes every damn time.

My party is strong enough to beat them but the battles are long and tiresome. Moreover, what are the consequences? Am I gonna have to fight through the whole Ukpyr on the way back to K'Borra and then again? Do I get to use the Ukpyr teleport? Thanks.

Wizfall

Cipher
Correction, the areas do clear, but still, I'd be interested in the consequences of allying with T'Rang.
Don't have any, not absolutely sure though.

You don't have to grind because you will fight quite a lot and Wiz 8 is a great game (and not only combat but characters/dialogue/story)
I will never say it enough but the Faster Combat component that you can find here is almost mandatory for Wiz 8 : http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/wizardry-8-enhancements.79581/

First time i played Wiz 7 a very long time ago i switched class like a madman and enjoyed it.
As mondblut said it's a great joy of the game to plan everything.
But unfortunately in the end all the characters look the same and the game become extremely boring and dull.
Also class change in Wiz 7 is obviously totally broken.
I'm replaying Wiz 7for the first time right now after more than a decade because i never finished the game and will not change class more than once.
I want my characters to be different, much more fun.

mondblut

Arcane
Correction, the areas do clear, but still, I'd be interested in the consequences of allying with T'Rang.

You would miss the firearms skill taught by the Umpani, for one.

I dunno, I always allied with Umpani. They get stomped shortly after anyway, and then you are given The Pineapple to destroy the T'Rang queen (which you probably have to do sooner or later either way).

kmonster

Augur
Question:
Is it actually a good thing to play 6 & 7 with the same party? In, say, BG2 it makes sense since the game levels up your characters anyway, so you aren't missing out. But Wiz7 starts from level 1 normally. So I guess if you import the party from 6 you don't get the "full" experience as you are already jumpstarted through a good part of the game.

While it's fun keeping the same party I'm just wondering if it's overall better to always start from scratch instead of having characters capping high level and so increasing monotony (whereas startin from level 1 gives you more space to keep things fresh).

Because in that case I could try running Wiz6 on the Amiga, if I decide to skip importing the party.

Wizardry 7 is balanced to be played with a fresh party. Importing messes things up. Imported characters usually are reduced to level 5 with visible and invisible stats crippled, sometimes too much, some times too little. And it's not necessarily a good thing starting with weapons doing up to 10 times as much damage as any weapon you can find during the first 90% of the game.
One could say W7 is broken anyway so just cheese your way through it but why not just play the game how you were expected to play it and many did in the past without importing or class switching.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom