Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Why not take your chances with Wizardry 4? :cool:

The game is a fucking beast.

DemonKing

Arcane
Saxon1974 said:
What everyone think of Wizardry 6 Bane...?

I have it but never got around to playing it. I love 7 though.

I prefer 6 to 7 myself - it's basically a fun fantasy dungeon romp through a castle and the surrounding area and it's not stuffed up with laser guns, space ships and walking rhinos like 7 was.

mondblut

Arcane
Wiz 6 is good. It has exactly same game mechanics as 7. Unlike 7, it is highly linear and graphics are vastly outdated (EGA by 1991??), but the background lore is so fucking good and creepy with its incest and betrayal stories. I recommend starting with 6 if only to enter 7 with some unique gear, and experience various beginnings depending on the way 6 ended.

1-3 and 5 are all straightforward dungeon romps uncomplicated neither with any semblance of story nor with particularly advanced game mechanics. Get the fine-looking SNES versions instead of PC wireframe crap, or look for that "Llylgamyn something" japanese 1-3 port for PSX/Windows (beware the untranslated item descriptions and stuff).

4 is probably the most unique Wizardry and also the least ported one. As far as I know there are no versions other than the original wireframe one.

The first (and presumably the second and third, which I haven't played, but sound almost like expansions) is largely pointless, unless you simply want to see how the series started. I don't feel its aged well at all. Its a pretty standard, early dungeon crawl.

The fourth, which has been mentioned, is widely considered one of the most difficult games of all time. I believe someone did a 'Let's Play' thread going through the game a while back, so you may want to look for it.

The fifth is a lot like the first ones, but dressed up a fair amount. There's a few interesting things to see and do, but again, its just one big dungeon crawl, with some puzzle elements and mild NPC interaction.

The sixth is where the series starts to take off. Its definitely one of the better dungeon crawlers, in my opinion. In a lot of ways, its a serious refinement and expansion of 5. The beginning can be pretty difficult, especially if you pick a lot of the hybrid classes (Ninja, Monk, etc.).

As I recall, the seventh is a bit of a departure from the sixth. They really ramped up the technology and sci-fi stuff, but it still fits pretty solidly in fantasy. There is an auto-map, but you'll have to find an item for it (unless, I think, you import characters from 6) and the detail is based on your characters' skill. The item is pretty close to where you start. There's also an outside area, unlike the earlier ones. One of the really cool things about this one is that there are other parties roaming around, trying to find the same items you are. Like 6, you can multi-class the hell out of your characters, but isn't strictly necessary.

Eight is pretty much the pinnacle of dungeon crawlers. There's tons of cool stuff to see and do, but you'd better like the combat, because you'll be seeing a *lot* of it. I suggest getting the Wizfast utility to speed it up to a reasonable level. The classes in this one are nicely balanced, and you can get through with just about any setup (focus your characters' skills and attributes, though).

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I recommend doing a Wizardry 6 - 7 - 8 run-through. And make sure you get the ring.

It was a lot of fun to carry (some) gear over and was quite enjoyable.

Disconnected

Scholar
Blackadder said:
Even 7 has what many would consider an archaic system. Just go for 8. If you are determined on playing older Wizardries then start 6 and go up.
Seconded. Beware that apart from Wiz8, time has really had its way with their looks.

Zomg

Arbiter
I played through about 2/3rds of 6 this year, having never seriously played a Wizardry game, and it never gets interesting. If you can get a kick out of exploiting broken mechanics you might have fun raping the class change system. By reputation I think you'd be better off just playing all of 8. The early ones are minimalist fun, if my small amount of play in the Japanese-ified SNES version of Wiz 1 is indicative.

SkeleTony

Augur
Another weakness of Wizardry 7/Gold is the freaking 'pop-up battles'. You cannot actually see monsters approaching. You just wander around and suddenly an encounter 'pops up' and you are in battle. May seem like nitpickery to some by I find it rather annoying. Wiz 8's combat could be tedious enough that you spend a good deal of effort trying to avoid it(hiding and waiting for monster groups to pass and such) but at least you could see the monsters coming.

Wizardry 7 does have a pretty vast scope though. Game is freaking huge!

Stabwound

Arcane
So, how is the balance like in 6? Is it possible to fuck up and make a horrible party? I'd want to make one to go from 6 to 7 to 8, too.

I guess I should probably try to dig up the old manuals and guides and stuff. Oh, does it have an automap?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Stabwound said:
So, how is the balance like in 6? Is it possible to fuck up and make a horrible party? I'd want to make one to go from 6 to 7 to 8, too.

I found 6 more forgiving, in that there are some areas where you can grind to get levels (if you want too). I did a Priets/Mage/Valk/Valk/Samuri/Bard starting party for 6. a Bard is VERY VERY helpful in 6, to start with. I was then able to, later on, switch all classes to ninja and gain a few levels in that for ninjitsu. *cough*.

Stabwound said:
I guess I should probably try to dig up the old manuals and guides and stuff. Oh, does it have an automap?

http://www.replacementdocs.com/download.php?view.1002

http://www.replacementdocs.com/download.php?view.1001

;)

There is NO automap in 6, but even I, who always get's fucking lost, was able to get through 6 just fine. The areas are fairly small so you can figure out where you are.

There are some Wizardry maps here. That should help you out.

And I'm sure we could give you some pointers on what characters/classes to play as well, if you wish.

Stabwound said:

The system of multi-classing effectively makes it so that its pretty much impossible to screw up (this system changes in 8, though). With that in mind, I suggest starting off with only about half or fewer of your characters as hybrid classes (pretty much anything but Fighter, Thief, Priest, Mage), unless you really know what you're doing. You could go all out and try to make your idea for an end-game party from the get-go, but you gain practically nothing but a more difficult start.

When creating a character, shoot for more than 15 stat points; it will usually happen every 10 or 15 times. Its possible to get upwards of ~30, but its exceedingly rare. Try to keep the class you intend to multi-class to next in mind when distributing the points. Also, there's a bug where your character's carrying capacity is determined by his *initial* strength, rather than his current. So, if you've got a couple extra points, put them there; you'll need it later. I also recall a bug with Piety and spell points, but I don't remember all the details. Don't worry too much about putting skill points in weapon skills; they'll go up quite a bit naturally.

As has been mentioned, starting with a Bard (in 6, 7, and 8) will make things much easier, as they receive a Lute, which can cast unlimited Sleep spells. Switching to a Bard later doesn't cause them to gain the item. It sounds cheesy, but its not really over-powered.

One of your characters should start with the Lockpick skill (Skullduggery?), which will allow you to pick locks. There's some right at the beginning, and if you screw it up they're closed forever, but I don't recall any that are crucial for solving the game. However, there's usually combat behind them, and you'll want as much of that as possible early in order to get going.

Valkyries are strong fighters, and can cast healing spells. You may also want to consider having a Ninja in your initial party, just for the equipment, as its hard to find. As I recall, there's equipment only elves, faeries and females can use.

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
DraQ said:
I need to do 6-7-8 run-through someday. So far I've only played 8.
mines1.jpg

I have been playing 6-7-8...:)

Stabwound: I recommend Wiz8 for the first play. The 6-7-8 playthrough is incredibly long.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
Whatever you do, don't miss Wizardry 8. It's something like what you just can't get presently. The swan song of the whole dungeon-crawler genre.

DemonKing

Arcane
Ha - those giants with the big green sledges were cool...although I seem to remember the area you found them in was somewhat annoying (lot's of dark spaces - no automap).

I also fondly remember how the game "came alive" for me after I added my 8bit soundblaster pro...some of the SFX was hilarious.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom