Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
Jaime Lannister said:
http://www.japan.ea.com/wizardry/

Appropriate, considering Wizardry's already basically a jRPG.

jrpg1.jpg

Please tell me a basically similar jrpg.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Zakhal said:
How do you turn on the english language in the pc version of new age of llylgamyn? I tried all the options but nothing seems to work.

I think you need to install a language patch.

mondblut

Arcane
Jaime Lannister said:
Appropriate, considering Wizardry's already basically a jRPG.

Other way around, man. Japs found Wizardry and started copying it first. Then they submitted to the urges of their own peculiarly tentacled creativity, and all spiralled into shit we know as "JRPG".

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
Lightknight said:
Please tell me a basically similar jrpg.
Megaten.

Thanks for the tip, but I have to write this warning, I am afraid mondblut is going to by this Megaten and he would be disappointed. :)
So...
Persona 1 is one of the usual jRPGs! It is not a Wizardry-like game at all.

Stabwound

Arcane
The early Megami Tensai games are sorta Wizardry-ish... all first person, grid maps, first person menu driven battles with static enemies, etc.

Zakhal

Liturgist
JarlFrank said:
Zakhal said:
How do you turn on the english language in the pc version of new age of llylgamyn? I tried all the options but nothing seems to work.

I think you need to install a language patch.
The problem was with my OS. I couldnt get it to work fully on either vista64 or xphome. I did manage to run it on virtual pc with w98 but the fonts were garbled and there were weird keyboard issues.

I own the wiz archives but Id really rather play these japanese remakes (atleast until wiz6). Anyways I did manage to run the psx version perfectly. Its english and with full sound & music. Everything works. Wiz4 seems like a good game for the short time I tried it (those golden coins or whatever are a pretty nice summon). I think its time to continue wiz games on my xmas holiday.

Zakhal

Liturgist
JarlFrank said:
Where did you get the Japanese remake from?
Snesorama (just search for llylgamyn new age). It has a nice collection of rare old rpgs. D/L them is not so easy though if you dont subscribe, but I did barely manage to get both the psx and pc version with program called rapget.

BehindTimes

Novice
If you want to run the game in English on the Windows version, you'll need to run the game through AppLocal.

What you have to understand is that the Roman Alphabet on Japanese computers is not necessarily the same as the Roman Alphabet on US computers.

And AppLocal does work on Vista 64. I'll upload some screenshots by the end of the week hopefully. (Also, getting the English Translation patch will eliminate the need for AppLocal).

Zakhal

Liturgist
BehindTimes said:
And AppLocal does work on Vista 64. I'll upload some screenshots by the end of the week hopefully. (Also, getting the English Translation patch will eliminate the need for AppLocal).
Where did you find the english translation patch for new age? I thought they made one for saga only.

Garbled fonts are not the only problem I have with the windows version. There is also another equally bad problem with both xphome and virtualpc&w98 (on vista64 the game doesnt even run beyond the first menu) - the game gets random input commands all the time even when Im not pressing any buttons. I.E when the game starts wernda moves few squares by itself even though I havent pressed anything.

BehindTimes

Novice
Just proof that the games do exist (Sorry for the blurryness, I need a new camera):

Zakhal said:
Where did you find the english translation patch for new age? I thought they made one for saga only.

Garbled fonts are not the only problem I have with the windows version. There is also another equally bad problem with both xphome and virtualpc&w98 (on vista64 the game doesnt even run beyond the first menu) - the game gets random input commands all the time even when Im not pressing any buttons. I.E when the game starts wernda moves few squares by itself even though I havent pressed anything.

OK, I have Vista 64. First off, is it a legitimate copy of the game? If not, I really can't help you, as I don't know whether or not something has been done to the game.

If so, download the patch.

As for English, when you start the game, you will be taken to a menu screen

You'll see 3 columns:

They are (roughly translated, not exact):

Character Names: Japanese English
Item Names: Japanese English
Spell Names: Japanese Engligh
Enemy Graphics: Classic Arranged
Dungeon Graphics: Wireframe Polygon
BGM: On Off
Sound Effects: On Off
Battle Effects: On Off
Automap: On Off

Honestly, I don't receive any of the problems that you have. Outside of having to copy a directx dll, the game ran smoothly for me.

mondblut

Arcane
BehindTimes said:
Just proof that the games do exist (Sorry for the blurryness, I need a new camera):

What about physically removing nothing from inventory for the benefit of Teh Codex? :D

Stabwound

Arcane
Thanks for the options translation. The nice looking dungeons with old monster graphics sounds kinda cool, heh.

Zakhal

Liturgist
BehindTimes said:
OK, I have Vista 64. First off, is it a legitimate copy of the game? If not, I really can't help you, as I don't know whether or not something has been done to the game.

That could always be the case. But the psx version works so great that I dont really need it anyways. In theory it might be the directx though. I tried installing it through virtual pc but it threw an error. I did copy som single dx file to the gamedir and the game did not throw the missing file error in vista64 but instead it just crashed.

I did try to buy this thing but I never saw single copy of new age anywhere and I know tons of places that sell old games. Othervice it would be sitting on my shelf: http://users.jyu.fi/~jansilla/kuva3.JPG (wiz archives on top if you can see the golden dragons tail).

Considering its almost ten years old remake of a twenty years old game, that was never released outside japan or with full english translation i do consider it abandonware atleast for us westerners. Nice pictures though.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
I played Bane of the Cosmic Forge through last year completely from end-to-end over a four month period.

Wow this game remains one of the most excellent artistic achievements of the era. It holds up so well. The graphics continue to be the creepiest, Addams-family weirdness pinnacle of computer games and the atmosphere is excellent. Half of the environment is created inside the player's mind and it's a fantastic experience. The final 25% of the game was nigh perfect and remains the greatest finale ever for an RPG.

I pity you drug smoking crypto-commie youngsters lacking the imagination and patience to even appreciate this game. You'll never know what you are missing.

I played some relatively current console RPG a couple weeks ago for about fifteen minutes, immediately afterwards I insisted on chucking it out into the woods like a frisbee to see if I could break my own distance record with a DVD. What soulless, hollow, drab garbage. Bane of the Cosmic Forge craps all over most modern games with ease.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
"I pity you drug smoking crypto-commie youngsters lacking the imagination and patience to even appreciate this game."

Another game I lack the imagination for is notepad.exe.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I must say that for some reason, Wizardry 6 is a more gripping, interesting, and accessible game than Wizardry 7.

Maybe it looks better. Maybe it starts off on the right foot and stays there. Maybe the interface is more likeable. Maybe it just plain feels right.

I suppose it is because one is not supposed to get into Wizardry 7 before playing 6, because I had tried 7 before 6.

BTW, these games have a wierd thing with genders, being that Lord and Valkyrie are gender exclusive and that certain items are available to females only, while male-exclusive items are not there.

mondblut

Arcane
Lord isn't male exclusive. Which doesn't make much sense since Valkyrie is pretty much the same as Lord (paladin cleric-fighter types), just "weaker".

I loved 7 the most though. 6 is too linear for my taste. And having to look at same grey wall everywhere from a swamp to the river of the dead to a castle dungeon is a tad annoying =(

Wyrmlord

Arcane
But really, Wizardry can be a terrifying experience.

Every combat encounter is meant to challenge you fully, and don't ever rest unless you really really have to, because that's just an excuse for enemies to attack you.

Walking on any empty corridor, you could come across an enemy at any point of time, and it could dramatically change things for you. And you may have to use up a really useful healing potion or a an amulet of life that you would have intended to save for a harder fight.

Basically, the games never give you a chance to take it easy and not be on your toes. And for that, it is just plain addictive fun.

And btw, I was just drawing the map of the first area of Bane Of The Cosmic Forge, and it looks suspiciously phallic. :shock:

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
Wyrmlord said:
amulet of life that you would have intended to save for a harder fight.

I always sell the amulet of life in the beginning :) That's big money.
Yeah, the combat is challenging.
I was trying this Persona jrpg and during the first battles my enemies did 2-5 damage, members of my party did 100-150 damage. That was hard! What's the point?

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Wyrmlord said:
Every combat encounter is meant to challenge you fully, and don't ever rest unless you really really have to, because that's just an excuse for enemies to attack you.

Walking on any empty corridor, you could come across an enemy at any point of time, and it could dramatically change things for you. And you may have to use up a really useful healing potion or a an amulet of life that you would have intended to save for a harder fight.

Basically, the games never give you a chance to take it easy and not be on your toes. And for that, it is just plain addictive fun.

Absolutely. Game balance is incredible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom