Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

BehindTimes

Novice
Higher Game said:
The old Wizardry games were the worst grinds ever, worse than most jRPGs.

Honestly, not really. Wizardry 1-3 can be beaten at fairly low levels, and fairly quickly (about 10 hours per game). The difference between Wizardry and your standard JRPG is that if you use some strategy, you can beat Wizardry 1 at level 8+, whereas in a JRPG, you can't do any damage until you reach level XX, where magically you go from doing 1 damage per hit to 1000 damage per hit.

Sure, you could grind to level 300 I guess, but no level will save you from an enemy ninja's critical, or a rogue mages teleportation into a wall. With your typical JRPG, if you spend the time grinding, you can beat the game with your eye's closed and pressing the attack button.

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
tease.jpg

mondblut

Arcane
Higher Game said:
The old Wizardry games were the worst grinds ever, worse than most jRPGs.

What BehindTimes said. You *could* spend weeks grinding (3 cheers to the General Yamo's entrance guards) to get all skills of 100 for all party members, repeatedly switching classes and whatnot, if that's fun for you... but that wasn't necessary to complete the game. In fact, with switching classes the random encounters alone were enough to build up an overkill party, if you do it like every 5-7 levels.

Thrasher

Erudite
Wizardry 8 = GREAT fun.

But you REALLY have to like LOTS of long drawn out tactical combat. Some of the random combats took me as long as a 30-60 minutes to get through!

Solution: get the teleport spell as soon as possible and make frequent use of the few teleporter machines to get around.

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
worst.jpg

My super-hyper heroes can't use their super-hyper weapons. They have to use some wooden sticks. This is (almost) the final battle. Now I finished 4 times Wizardry 6 but this battle incredibly annoying (again).

Wyrmlord

Arcane
How did Ninju become a Faerie?

Sex change?

Also, doesn't D.W. Bradley occasionally get a little over the top with sexuality in his games? Furries, half-naked vampires in tight black leathers, lesbian noble in Dungeon Lords propositioning your character,.etc.

This guy is very smart, especially with his gameplay ideas like front men-flank men, but why are his games thematically so...wierd and lewd?

dolio

Scholar
So... There are two Draculas (and two Rebeccas)?

Does that happen in every fight in this game? In some other thread you busted into that "the twins' house" or whatever, and there were two of each of them, too.

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
ninju.jpg

Here is Ninju's character sheet at the end of game.
This Wiz6 playthrough was very difficult because of the class-changes. I didn't want to grind so I was very low level at the end. My previous 3 plays I didn't make any class change.

The 2 Draculas, 2 etc..because of the expert difficulty.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I must say that Wizardry 6's interface is far more likeable than that of Wizardry 7. Simple arrangement of options in text, as opposed to icons scattered around the direction buttons.

mondblut

Arcane
Rebecca's neat. Two Rebeccas are even neater :D

Hm, doesn't fighting them lead to no Diamong Ring? Which is pretty much the primary purpose of playing Wiz6 in the first place :lol: It sucks to align with t'rang as well.

elander_

Arbiter
Cloaked Nigger said:
dear lord RPG's before 1998 suck

I know that these days game play is something optional but you could at least try to play some of those old games before judging them by the looks.

i actually meant that the gameplay sucked. i mean look at it...the only option to finish these 'wizardry' games is to go through boring dungeon crawls.

just admit it, 1997-2003 was the only period of time where RPG's truly were great.

elander_

Arbiter
There's some fun in trying to create a good character build and explore your character possibilities to win the game. I have to accept that at least these old games treat their niche gameplay with respect. Modern games don't even bother balancing their game play properly, which is much worse than creating a niche game and doing it well. I still have some quick fun playing a roguelike or trying another run at eye of the beholder with a new character build i never tried before.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom