Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
A dominatrix queen? Awesome.

DemonKing

Arcane
The Stud. Cuir Bra +2 is actually a pretty good piece of armour early on for female characters...

Very good. I had the Amiga version you see. Quite a few dos games from the same age looked almost as good, but then you heard the sound...not a pretty thing. After the depressing crash fest with PtD, I think a full three game replay of the late Wizardries is in order.

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
cute.jpg

Aren't they cute?

Ebonsword

Arcane
theverybigslayer said:
I was trying this Persona jrpg and during the first battles my enemies did 2-5 damage, members of my party did 100-150 damage. That was hard! What's the point?

Which Persona? Persona 3 starts off easy enough, but it can get pretty brutal as it goes on(especially some of the boss fights). Basically, if you get nailed by someone using an attack that you have a weakness to, they can slaughter you in short order. Not to mention the insta-death Light and Dark spells.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Ebonsword said:
theverybigslayer said:
I was trying this Persona jrpg and during the first battles my enemies did 2-5 damage, members of my party did 100-150 damage. That was hard! What's the point?

Which Persona? Persona 3 starts off easy enough, but it can get pretty brutal as it goes on(especially some of the boss fights). Basically, if you get nailed by someone using an attack that you have a weakness to, they can slaughter you in short order. Not to mention the insta-death Light and Dark spells.
The problem I had with Persona 3 (and 4) is that the main character is a damned game breaker, since he can carry around 12 different demons which he can switch on the fly. Limiting the number to around 4 or 5 would have kept him from becoming overpowered.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Interesting thing about Wizardry is that it does not take itself seriously, but then again, it goes strangely far with it.

I mean, L'Montes, the Frenchman? What is a Frenchman doing in a fantasy setting?

And when I was playing the corrupt version of Wizardry 6, I come across a character called ???Bane King??? (where Queequeg is supposed to come), and when I fight him, he is renamed Dracula? WTF?

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I need to get into that Wizardry thing one day. All this talk about the games seems fun. And Wiz8 really looks nice.

Tardvapor

Novice
Wiz 8 is great, you definitely need to get WizFast for it though. Played it for the first time not too long ago, was kicking some ass until most of my party hit level 10. Hit an auto scale threshold and now I can't make it through arnika road to save my fucking life. I'll pick it up again someday though.

I played a lot of 5 on Snes years ago, but these days when I'm in the mood for a "vintage" dungeon crawler I still prefer the original Bard's Tale to the old wizardries.

Anyone play the indie crawler Devil Whiskey? I remember playing the demo a long ass time ago, but I don't know if the full version ever came out. If so, any good?

Tardvapor said:
Wiz 8 is great, you definitely need to get WizFast for it though. Played it for the first time not too long ago, was kicking some ass until most of my party hit level 10. Hit an auto scale threshold and now I can't make it through arnika road to save my fucking life. I'll pick it up again someday though.

I played a lot of 5 on Snes years ago, but these days when I'm in the mood for a "vintage" dungeon crawler I still prefer the original Bard's Tale to the old wizardries.

Anyone play the indie crawler Devil Whiskey? I remember playing the demo a long ass time ago, but I don't know if the full version ever came out. If so, any good?

Run past the encounters on the road. Always worked for me.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Wow ! An emo-bot posting the same picture over and over again. Nice. :D

And Wizardry 8 is the shit !

Wyrmlord

Arcane
What about Wizards And Warriors?

Compared to Wizardry 8, which one is better?

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Wyrmlord said:

Wizardry 8 all the way. Except fot the mix of Sci-Fi and Fantasy, that I never thought worked well. But character development is better, exploration is a bit better, combat is way better and NPC's, quests and general world are more detailed and more alive.

Both games fail in the "Final Fight" department though.

Thrasher

Erudite
Wizardry 8 was great. But you have to REALLY love lots of turned based combat, and not mind constantly respawning enemies. Some of the larger encounters took half or a full hour to complete. Not joking.

Tardvapor

Novice
WizFast was mentioned a few times but I don't think anyone explained it for those who never heard of it:

A little utility that you run before launching Wiz8 that increases enemy movement speed. Get the utility and set the bar all the way to the right and all enemy walking animations are skipped. Makes combat much more streamlined, and saves tons of time.

Thrasher

Erudite
Even with that the combat animations are still slow, especially the ranged and magic attacks. Encounters can still take forever.

I definitely recommend speeding up the enemy movement speed as it helps (even though it looks idiotic).

mondblut

Arcane
Wyrmlord said:

I liked W&W better. It is utterly linear and has an extremely generic setting and plot, but it has that specific Bradley's charm which Wiz8 lacks. You know, those philosophical rants on most trivial subjects like in Wiz7 :) Same kind of humor as well. And combat is *quick*, being more alike modern M&M. Wiz8 just takes itself too seriously, methinks. Overall W&W feels like Wizardry 6 on a M&M6 engine.

Why not play both? Are you a married attorney too? :D

Well, attorneys are not an endangered species. Especially at the moment.

WnW is impossible to get running on Vista, and a pain to get running on XP. I think there is a way somewhere, but I prefer to just load it up on my 98 machine.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I've been wanting some dungeon crawling, guess I'll try to pick up the whole Wizardry archive, play with dosbox to see how it goes (part 4 looks like a masochist's dream) and pick up part 8 as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom