Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Cloaked Nigger said:
i actually meant that the gameplay sucked. i mean look at it...the only option to finish these 'wizardry' games is to go through boring dungeon crawls.

just admit it, 1997-2003 was the only period of time where RPG's truly were great.

You do realise that there were many, many different kinds of RPG's back then? I know that you are used to only having one type these days, but I have to tell you, the choices, especially from '88 on, are massive. I would say that apart from the graphics, all of todays "innovashun" was already alive and kicking, often in better forms, in many RPG's back then.

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
mondblut said:
Hm, doesn't fighting them lead to no Diamong Ring? Which is pretty much the primary purpose of playing Wiz6 in the first place :lol: It sucks to align with t'rang as well.
So should I drop the cross next time? :cry:

Mr. Wednesday

Scholar
Cloaked Nigger said:
i actually meant that the gameplay sucked. i mean look at it...the only option to finish these 'wizardry' games is to go through boring dungeon crawls.

Well some people hate Justin Timberlake for being "boring pop" but he does it well, just like these old games only do dungeon crawls, but they do it well.

You're as annoying as those people who only listen to music with wanking guitar solos.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Yeah, people nowadays are so brainwashed by Fallout that any game that isn't some Fallout-like is not a RPG...

RPGs can also be about crawling through dungeons, solving puzzles and watching numbers go up, as they can be about dialogues and c&c. First kind may be not your cup of tea, but that doesn't mean they "suck"... just different kind of games. To me, they rule.

Mr. Wednesday said:
Well some people hate Justin Timberlake for being "boring pop" but he does it well, just like these old games only do dungeon crawls, but they do it well.

You're as annoying as those people who only listen to music with wanking guitar solos.

Bad analogy, and I suspect bad taste in music as well. Faggot Boy Timberlake is boring pop, plain and simple. There's not much you can do with just poorly done synth sampling and a mediocre vocalist. The human voice, while impressive, is no match for an actual instrument as far as range and depth goes. And back to the synth, it's terribly done, especially in comparison to what some electronica can do. So where's the appeal in Timberlake? Repetitive, uncreative, often not even melodic crap spewed out? Lyrics with no creativity, no meaning beyond base materialism? Vocal performance mediocre at best, made worse by the fact he abuses digital enhancement?

Seriously, he has nothing going for him. I'm with you one-hundred percent that certain games have different objectives and you need to judge them on those (most of the time), but Justin Timberlake as an analogy does no favors for Wizardry. He's an Oblivion/Fallout 3 of music; he does nothing right and nothing objectively well.

Zomg

Arbiter
I have no particular problems with early '90s games in general, but Wiz 6 isn't great. The class change system is both broken and perverse, but if you don't use it at all your arsenal is pretty limited and dull. The non-boss monsters are either just defenseless HP bags or randomly deadly disabling-spell or area damage spammers that encourage you to cheese a party where everyone has class-changed for and then scummed up hide. All it did was make me hesitate to play Wiz 8 for a while longer.

Higher Game

Arcane
Zomg said:
I have no particular problems with early '90s games in general, but Wiz 6 isn't great. The class change system is both broken and perverse, but if you don't use it at all your arsenal is pretty limited and dull. The non-boss monsters are either just defenseless HP bags or randomly deadly disabling-spell or area damage spammers that encourage you to cheese a party where everyone has class-changed for and then scummed up hide. All it did was make me hesitate to play Wiz 8 for a while longer.

Add in the sheer randomness of the encounter rate. I would often spin in a circle for a long time for 'da grind, but would run into enemies extremely rapidly while progressing (not the guaranteed ones I mean; if those are considered, it could be ridiculous).

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Bard's Tale is much worse with random encounters.

That game has absolutely no rhyme or reason behind what enemies you will face at any point of time. It may vary from 1 Mad Dog to 3 Barbarian to 5 Magicians, simply by walking down a few blocks. The quantity and power of each encounter would be completely random.

To make random encounters work, you need to have a particular set of enemies for each area. Or release certain enemies only after a certain point in the main quest. Design the difficult curve properly.

I think Wizardry 6 felt a bit more reasonable with random encounters.

1eyedking

Erudite
asper said:
Yeah, people nowadays are so brainwashed by Fallout that any game that isn't some Fallout-like is not a RPG...

RPGs can also be about crawling through dungeons, solving puzzles and watching numbers go up, as they can be about dialogues and c&c. First kind may be not your cup of tea, but that doesn't mean they "suck"... just different kind of games. To me, they rule.
Fucking agreed.

But Wizardry 6-8 suck.

Higher Game

Arcane
Dungeon crawlers are strategy games where the difficulty depends on how much a player is willing to stagnate before advancing. They aren't RPGs and never have been.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
For all your complaints about dungeon crawlers, you seem to have already spent so much time on them.

You've played so many roguelikes, so many of these combat-based old RPGs.

So why do you bother ranting against them? A game is a way of passing time for relaxation, and you have already used these dungeon crawlers to that purpose. So why would you feel that these games are not good, when they have served the purpose they were meant to, as games, for you.

mondblut

Arcane
Cloaked Nigger said:

just admit it, 1997-2003 was the only period of time where RPG's truly were great.

There was gameplay in RPGs in 1997-2003? I didn't notice any.

Except in TOEE, that is.

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
greed.jpg

The greedy bastard! I have no enough money! What can I do for now?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I am really curious whether you will be able to take this party to the end of Wizardry 8 within the next two months.

I have never played Wizardry 8. That game is supposed to be hard to find. But with all the new modernized stylization in the game, with free moving and free look, I wonder if they had to significantly change the rules for the game.

DraQ

Arcane
Wyrmlord said:
I am really curious whether you will be able to take this party to the end of Wizardry 8 within the next two months.

I have never played Wizardry 8. That game is supposed to be hard to find. But with all the new modernized stylization in the game, with free moving and free look, I wonder if they had to significantly change the rules for the game.
I need to do a 6-7-8 playthrough some day. I've only played 8 so far and it was heavan.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wyrmlord said:

Significantly? No. Stats have different ranges now [usually they're larger: in Wiz 6 and 7 a stat of 16 was good, now it's going up to 100] and combat is... well... 3D, meaning that you can get surrounded and your mages in the behind rows can be in danger when an enemy gets behind you. Other than that, it's mostly the same as the previous Wiz games.

DraQ

Arcane
You can also see the enemies coming most of the time and use such brilliant tactics as utilization of chokepoints, firing fireball and two noxious fumes in the hole as a way to initiate the combat against enemies in some room, or move during combat, including exploit-ish combat-sneak.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom