Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
Although I must say I was disappointed by this infamous road to Arnika. Either I'm uberawesome or it's seriously overrated. I had a party with the average level of 6, didn't read any hints about gameplay on the kkkodex, and if I wanted, I could go to Arnika in like, 5 minutes having only two encounters of some ants and bloodvines which were piss-easy, but when reaching the actual city, I decided to backtrack in search of phat loot, and my treck kind of ended a while later when I met some level 8 lizard thingy with 300 hp that was chewing up my party members in two hits and had to retreat, while in the meantime the road got repopulated by some mobs of bandits and the modais. Bandits were piss-easy, modais kind of needed the right positioning and it took shitloads of time to dispose of them, but I wasn't really on the edge of defeat either.

I expected something that will make me RAGE!!!! like every 10 seconds or so, but this? Pffff.
We have already played Betrayal At Krondor, with the lovely Northlands bit where ever step had you run into another large enemy ambush.

After one beats that area without using that emerald shortcut, nothing in any videogame can ever live up to such difficulty.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Luzur said:
did you meet that bull-thing yet then? got my ass handed to me by that.

Yes, that was what I meant by 'lizard thing with 300 hp'. But it wasn't on the actual road to Arnika, it was on the road right of the intersection, while Arnika is on the left.

Wyrmlord said:
We have already played Betrayal At Krondor, with the lovely Northlands bit where ever step had you run into another large enemy ambush.

After one beats that area without using that emerald shortcut, nothing in any videogame can ever live up to such difficulty.

I suppose you might be right.

mondblut

Arcane
Wyrmlord said:

Can't remember Northlands to be any particularly difficult. Besides, many of the road encounters can be trekked around along the mountains.

The hardest fight in Krondor was against 6 spellcasters (who looked like common warriors but in yellow instead of blue) around chapter 5, somewhere on a road between those border castles. No matter how you maneuver, there are always 1-3 enemies free to waste you with spells. The fact you're stuck with that old fart magician instead of the real party doesn't really help either.

...Anyway, I don't understand what is so alluring in a challenge by attrition. A crucial battle which is very hard to win is one thing, a string of generic battles without means of restoration in between is quite another. This attrition war is frustrating and annoying at best, and gamebreaking (when you're stuck with no resources left and have no way to retreat and repeat another day) at worst. Not my kind of fun. Arnika road was shit, Rapax castle and Ascension road were much better.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
mondblut said:
Can't remember Northlands to be any particularly difficult. Besides, many of the road encounters can be trekked around along the mountains.

But the off-road paths also had plenty of encounters. Mainly ice trolls, but moredhels weren't rare, and having only two party members didn't help a lot either, not to mention that every possible enemy had poison quarrels, which were annoying as fuck, if you didn't have a cart-load of antidote.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Rampant Coyote said:
Fifty-five minutes, fourteen seconds.

That's how long this particular random patrol encounter took. I thought my complaining about the excessively long combats in Wizardry 8 might have been exaggerated. I wasn't really sure how long these fights were taking - I was more focused on winning than keeping time. So I timed this one.

The battle was an encounter with a patrol - consisting of, as you can see, twenty-nine enemy ... uh, Rapaxes. Rapaxi? I have no idea what the plural of Rapax is supposed to be. I started the stopwatch function on my watch when the battle began, paused it when I had to pick up my daughter from her play practice, and resumed it when I sat back down to finish the battle.

The battle took nearly an hour. That would be an unpardonably long boss battle. But for a run-of-the-mill fight against wandering monsters several levels below me? Ye gods! No wonder turn-based combat gets a bad rap.

I nearly lost the battle about forty minutes in. Having to replay that much of the game (since you can't save in mid-combat) would have probably made me quit for the night. That's happened before. Fortunately, the monsters decided to attack my water elemental at that point (or each other, succumbing to the effects of insanity I kept hitting them with) long enough for me to resurrect one dead party member and to "heal all."

http://www.rampantgames.com/blog/2008/1 ... rteen.html

I was about to not remove it from an inventory, and then I read this.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Yeah, it's not THAT hard. If you're not a fag, that is, which appearently, isn't the case with the author of that tardticule.
Kombat sequences being long? Uh, but that's all there is in Wiz. The very purpose of that game. RPing and other shit hardly enter into it. Pure combat and micromanagement.

Hory

Erudite
I don't understand... how tactical can a blob-party game be? What does a good player do that others don't?

Thrasher

Erudite
Also the good player takes advantage of good positioning and good tactical spells.

Hory

Erudite
Maybe it's just me, but I don't find that number crunching particularly entertaining or challenging, even tho I like strategy. JA2 and Wizardry 8 are the perfect example for that. They're made by the same guys, with strategy as one of the main objectives and many similar elements. I love JA2, but I can't get into Wiz8 at all. Ultimately, both games are about numbers and chances, but one tries to be realistic, while the other involves an abstract set of fantasy cliches. Don't these die-hard dungeon-crawler fans want some innovation by now?

Well, at the point where I ran in to the Rapax, even one of those guys had almost as much HP as my whole party (300), whereas other random-guy hordes I ran into had something like 50 apiece. 29 Rapax, I can see how that would take some time.

Stalin

Scholar
Hory said:
Maybe it's just me, but I don't find that number crunching particularly entertaining or challenging, even tho I like strategy. JA2 and Wizardry 8 are the perfect example for that. They're made by the same guys, with strategy as one of the main objectives and many similar elements. I love JA2, but I can't get into Wiz8 at all. Ultimately, both games are about numbers and chances, but one tries to be realistic, while the other involves an abstract set of fantasy cliches. Don't these die-hard dungeon-crawler fans want some innovation by now?
I look at the innovation on the shelves of my local game store and I pass

Thrasher

Erudite
I saved the Rapax for last (or next to last minus Ascension peak) so they were not teh heurd.

Stalin

Scholar
I think the longest fight i had was 20 minutes and thats without the mod that speeds up the battle animations

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom