Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

sirfink

Scholar
I remember some really long fights in the Rapax area. I think I had the whole place go hostile on me and it seemed like they all came after me at once, so that was a long fight, even with the fast mod.

What is the origin of the "removed from inventory" thing ? Yeah, I've searched these forums but no explanation.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Hory said:
Maybe it's just me, but I don't find that number crunching particularly entertaining or challenging, even tho I like strategy. JA2 and Wizardry 8 are the perfect example for that. They're made by the same guys, with strategy as one of the main objectives and many similar elements. I love JA2, but I can't get into Wiz8 at all. Ultimately, both games are about numbers and chances, but one tries to be realistic, while the other involves an abstract set of fantasy cliches. Don't these die-hard dungeon-crawler fans want some innovation by now?
We already have dozen other varieties of RPGs. What's the point of changing one of those subgenres, when one can always play some other variety of game? And surely there is room for dungeon crawlers among so many types of games, right?

You might as well ask, "Don't all these Bioware fans want some innovation by now?" If people are OK with Bioware/Obsidian story games, then let them be as they are. I don't expect a Bioware/Obsidian game to be like a dungeon crawler. Ever. There are already dungeon crawlers to play.

So you have to use a walkthrough to get decent fight lengths?
No, it means you have to read the manual and understand how to play the game so you can use the right tricks and finish the fight quickly. Instead of pushing any button you find and seeing if it works. :roll:

Andhaira

Arcane
Dude you don't need wiz fast. The animations are cool and fun to see. Also, the game tself has a slder for enemy animations.

mondblut

Arcane
Hory said:
Don't these die-hard dungeon-crawler fans want some innovation by now?

We'd like some dungeon crawlers first, of which Wiz8 and TOEE were last. Once we have as many of them as we had in early 90s, THEN we might consider if they need some improvement.

Andhaira

Arcane
mondblut, have you tried eschalon? You should, I think you will like it.

mondblut

Arcane
Nah, didn't like it. Single character + roguelike one-step-at-a-time-no-action-points-TB = diablo cut on turns. Bo-ring.

Spiderweb games are way more preferable in that aspect, but one can play the same game under different names and numerals only so many times.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
mondblut said:
Hory said:

We'd like some dungeon crawlers first, of which Wiz8 and TOEE were last. Once we have as many of them as we had in early 90s, THEN we might consider if they need some improvement.

I second that. Cover the basic needs first, then try to improve.

Being quite the masochist myself I'll add "Pool of radiance : ruins of Myth Drannor" to the very short "last of the dungeon crawlers" list.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
mondblut said:
Hory said:

I don't think you actually mean that.

What I mean is - surely you can't be thinking, "If it's atleast a dungeon crawler, it's good enough for me"?

Because I do recall you saying that even though Vogel's games are RPGs proper, they aren't worth playing.

Hell, we are RPG Codex. If a game 17 years ago did it better, we do not hesitate to call a new game out on it. We don't just forgive its shortcomings simply because there is no other recent alternative to it, right?

Nobody back in 2002 was saying, "Ruins Of Myth Drannor is awesome because it's the only turn-based combat RPG out there, even though it sucks compared to ages old TB RPGs."

Shannow

Waster of Time
He's not asking for bad DCs that cannot keep up with the old ones. He's just not seeing any problems with the basic concept and would like a few more DCs made before even considering "innovation". And I must say a new DC on par with Wiz8 or M&M8 (yeah, I know I'm the only one on the codex who likes it) would be great and interest me more than any AAA titles on the horizon.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Luzur said:
he myust play as all mages or something, i never had any long fight problems in my game.
The only time I won this game was with a all magic-user party, combat is pretty quick as most of your party nuke/save vs death mobs.

Want to get rid of Rapax fast? Get 4 or 5 fighters with long reach weapons, berserk for 2X damage and you will be chunking them as soon as they reach you, it was so easy I quit the game. How much math do you need to figure that out.

mondblut

Arcane
Wyrmlord said:
What I mean is - surely you can't be thinking, "If it's atleast a dungeon crawler, it's good enough for me"?

Of course there are a plenty of dungeon crawlers which suck. They were in the golden age of early 90s, and they are around now if you dig enough (indie/handheld/console). Take Undercroft or Legacy, they are quite mediocre... by the 1992 standarts.

I want modern dungeon crawlers who can compete with the best of them from the ages past, not below average me-too Bard's Tale or Might & Magic copycats.

Because I do recall you saying that even though Vogel's games are RPGs proper, they aren't worth playing.

Hm, I don't remember saying that. 1-2 Spiderweb games are fine to play, it is just that there are over 15 of them and pretty much all are the same game, so it quickly gets far more tedious and repetetive than playing through the 9 GB games in sequence.

Hell, we are RPG Codex. If a game 17 years ago did it better, we do not hesitate to call a new game out on it. We don't just forgive its shortcomings simply because there is no other recent alternative to it, right?

Correct.

Nobody back in 2002 was saying, "Ruins Of Myth Drannor is awesome because it's the only turn-based combat RPG out there, even though it sucks compared to ages old TB RPGs."

Well... 7 years past that I think I'd take Ruins of Myth Drannor over TWitcher or Failure 3, that's for sure :D Although the game didn't get any better.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Shannow said:
M&M8 (yeah, I know I'm the only one on the codex who likes it)

Nope. I loved (some more than others) all the M&M games that I played, as in all but the first two.

Yes, I even enjoyed M&M 9. :oops:

Luzur

Good Sir
Nope. I loved (some more than others) all the M&M games that I played, as in all but the first two.

Yes, I even enjoyed M&M 9. Embarassed

i enjoyed it too, with the TELP patch.

and i love them all, even the first 2, since M&M 2 on C64 was my first foray into the M&M franchise.

DraQ

Arcane
AndhairaX said:
Dude you don't need wiz fast. The animations are cool and fun to see. Also, the game tself has a slder for enemy animations.
Wizfast only speeds up movement animations. Yes, all the animations in Wiz8 are cool, but you don't want to wait till all 20 enemies move slowly into positions (1x speed) and on higher speeds they become slapstick anyway, so why don't just raise the speed from 5x to 25x (to let your eye register the movement, even faster settings are possible)?

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I'm not being ironic at all: you're probably one of the few who displays the most common sense on this forum.

Thrasher

Erudite
Lonely Vazdru said:
Being quite the masochist myself I'll add "Pool of radiance : ruins of Myth Drannor" to the very short "last of the dungeon crawlers" list.

Welcome to the club.

Every so often I get the itch to replay POR2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom