Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Typically classes are broad archetypes, monks being the exception, but monks are kinda dumb too and still far broader than ninjas and samurais.

samurais are literally just fighters from japan. Not Asia, not "the East", Japan.

ninjas are just literally assassins from japan. Not Asia, not "the East", Japan.

It's pretty weird to have them as classes.

It's like having a Janissary class, instead of just a fighter from the Ottoman empire.

To me it seems like they put them in all those old RPGs for two reasons

- nobody could think of a more original/better name for "fighter with magic" and "thief with magic"

- kids were freaking obsessed with ninjas and katana blades for like a decade and a half back then, so those names were considered super cool.

Akan

Novice
Greatest RPG ever, no probably not. However I have probably enjoyed hundreds of hours playing the game. As others have said, the beginning is far better than the end-game. After beating it once or twice the fun is experimenting with different party builds. How well does an all ranged party work. How about all mages. How about soloing it with a mage. What if I try a party entirely made up of faerie samurai. There also has been a very active modding community for it.

The combat system was fucked up. And boring. And I HATE SCALING ENCOUNTERS. It removes the whole point of level ups. I like to level up and watch my dudes become badasses.
It sucked in Wiz 8, it sucked in Oblivion, it kinda sucked in PS1 Lunar, it basically made me hate console RPGs for a few years in FF8.

(And no I do not count mods for making a game fun.)

Plus the game never would uninstall properly on the computer I had it on. (This was around the time of the last Winter Olympics IIRC.)

Wiz 7 kicks ass. Wiz 5 kicks ass. Wiz 1 kicks ass. Wiz Tale of the Forsaken Land kicks ass.

Wiz 8 is kinda unfun really. Which is sad because the starter dungeon was really fun. Once I hit the overworld it was all downhill from there.

Captain Rufus said:
A bunch of bullshit.

It has nothing to do with it being 'unfun' as much as it does with you being absolutely fucking horrible at games. From the sound of things I think FO3 might be more your speed.

Monocause

Arcane
It's a great game that I always keep on my HD, make a new party with a huge enthusiasm, play up to somewhere around Trynton and abandon playing because of getting bored with gazillions of mobs the game threw at me.

After two-three months I try again with the same result.

Zomg said:
I'm the only person on the codex that would wreck it and I haven't gotten new game itchy enough to play it. My big angle for shitting on hack and fags would be that the hardest single player game is pretty fucking easy and/or the challenge, gameplay, whatever is illegitimate. Tthe stuff they jerk off over is so immeasurably better in earnestly competitive multiplayer games it's like they're downing shots of Listerine to get drunk.

Clock Wizardry 4 without a faq and get back to me. I might stop laughing.

You need to remember that the hack/tactics crowd is coming from a time (a) before the internet and (b) when games where designed so that only a very few people would finish them. Finishing a game wasn't standard then, but a rare achievement, even for those who poured massive gamehours into it. It was a time when it was standard in adventure games to hit multiple insta-death impasses in some latish section of the game, each requiring that you did some incredibly unintuitive combination of actions earlier on, with absolutely no indication of what it is you needed to do/not do, and no way of going back for it (and usually only one saveslot, so you had to start from the beginning). Yes, in some cases they actually intended for you to solve it only by trying every single combination of weird actions, movements, orders of events, from which a small and very dedicated percentage might luck onto the right combo. And those games weren't 'ultra-hard' by standards of the time.

Wiz4 in particular is - by modern definitions - quite impossible to finish without a walkthrough (and those weren't around then). Even to those used to playing games which required months of 'learning-by-iteration', doing something marginally different each death to see what happens, mapping and re-mapping areas by hand on graph paper, with all the tricks (mirrors, teleports, squares that rotate your direction without you knowing, false walls, rooms that change between several designs as you go, teleports that put you into another room without telling you and where you can't see the different when you first port in, etc), its map-puzzles were truly absurd. You couldn't even pause the game to think for too long, as there was an insta-death enemy that moved in real time (while you go in turn-based) who started on a random level and killed you when he reached you.

That genre of gaming wasn't killed by multiplayer challenge. A higher proportion of counterstrike players go competitive than the proportion of dedicated Wiz4 players at the time who beat the game (let alone the best ending) without help. That genre of gaming was killed off primarily by automap (the map puzzles was where most of the challenge was, the combat was just a logistics exercise except when you got ported/trapdoored to a different level and the combat was there to wear and kill you for taking too long to find your way back to the surface), then by multiple save slots and quick-load (often you had to pull the disk out of the drive at the right time, risking ruining it, if you wanted to avoid the game writing over your savefiles when you died), then by the need to actually give players info about the combat system rather than having the 'figure out by trial and error (no internet, remember) what each spell/class/stat does and how you increase them' as part of the puzzle, and then finally and completely by the internet making puzzle-games irrelevent.

PorkaMorka said:
Typically classes are broad archetypes, monks being the exception, but monks are kinda dumb too and still far broader than ninjas and samurais.

samurais are literally just fighters from japan. Not Asia, not "the East", Japan.

ninjas are just literally assassins from japan. Not Asia, not "the East", Japan.

It's pretty weird to have them as classes.

It's like having a Janissary class, instead of just a fighter from the Ottoman empire.

To me it seems like they put them in all those old RPGs for two reasons

- nobody could think of a more original/better name for "fighter with magic" and "thief with magic"

- kids were freaking obsessed with ninjas and katana blades for like a decade and a half back then, so those names were considered super cool.

They were original classes back in Wiz 1, circa 1983. The 80s were all about kitch, and back then ninja/samurai were pretty original, and people were far more likely to associate them with b-grade action films where fireball-throwing was a standard ability of any good samurai. 'American ninja' didn't get its release until a few years after then, and it was a good 7 or 8 years before anyone started thinking that maybe the translation of standard japanese assassins/soldiers into some magic-zapping, able-to-kill-a-small-army-before-breakfast uberstar was maybe a bit silly.

By Wiz 8 they were just continuing the character classes that had been around from the beginning. The ones they added - alchemist and gadgeteer - were entirely sensible.

mondblut

Arcane
Azrael the cat said:
By Wiz 8 they were just continuing the character classes that had been around from the beginning. The ones they added - alchemist and gadgeteer - were entirely sensible.

Alchemist was around since 6, along with ranger, bard, valkyrie etc. Gadgeteer is the only new class in W8. Personally, I fucking hated it.

Nael

Arcane
theverybigslayer said:
vlcsnap-84334.jpg

And what if you are mixing sci-fi and oriental one?

Btw is Spock an elf?

Nein. He ist das juden!

DraQ

Arcane
mondblut said:
Personally, I fucking hated it.
Why? Thematically it fits perfectly with the goofy mix of fantasy and space opera the game is.
Power wise, it's much like bard, except raping enemies at distance with omnigun and making tripleshot crossbow for entire party in their spare time.

Deleted member 7219

I thought it was shit. I bought it on Ebay on the advice of Codexers like Jasede and Nael. I was really looking forward to playing it, thinking it would be a classic RPG like Fallout or Planescape Torment. I was very disappointed.

That was the last time I took advice from the Codex.

hal900x

Augur
Matt7895 said:
classic RPG
Yes
Matt7895 said:
like Fallout and Planescape Torment
No

That's where you got mixed up. It's great in it's own way for some, but those two titles you mentioned have a very specific flavor. For me, Arcanum is the game that comes closest to the isometric and story-heavy games you mentioned. The combat is similar also, although botched badly.

SkeleTony

Augur
The gripe against the random battles and level scaling, as well as the inclusion of 'furries' and a few other worthless D. Bradley artifacts, are legitimate gripes. The beginning of the game(up until you reach Arnika at the very least) is a fucking chore in this regard. I can totally see how it could cause some to uninstall the game...it is that bad.

The level scaling is not only a bad idea but a poorly executed bad idea in W8(so..even worse).

And there is no excuse for feline-humanoid, canine-humanoid races in RPGs. It is gay in a very bad way.

However, having said that W8 is one of the best CRPGs ever released.

For a FP party-based RPG the combat is fantastic. As close to being 'tactical' as these games get.
The character development system if pretty damned good, as is the magic system(noting that direct damage spells are lame in W8).

I could not care less about the writing/story as I have never seen ANY computer game with writing/story that I found worth reading.

Wiz 7 was a great game for it's time and even today has some great points(HUGE freaking world with lots to do) and a certain primitive charm.

But Wizardry 8 is the better game I dare say, nostaligia aside.

DraQ

Arcane
SkeleTony said:
The level scaling is not only a bad idea but a poorly executed bad idea in W8(so..even worse).
Yes, no.
The level scaling may be universally, or nearly universally bad, but I was genuinely surprised that it didn't spoil the gameplay of Wiz8 in any detectable manner.

And there is no excuse for feline-humanoid, canine-humanoid races in RPGs. It is gay in a very bad way.
No, only simian humanoids. With varied body builds and ear shapes to help them pretend they are meaningfully different - it's fantasy, after all, it should be imaginative. :roll:

How many here have completed Wizardry VI: Bane of the Cosmic Forge without a walkthrough or other help you wouldn't expect to find in a manual? How long did it take you the first time it happened? How thoroughly did you map the dungeons?

I'm currently mapping the castle where the Cosmic Forge disappeared. I've done the first level; the upper levels are small as would be expected in a castle and don't require mapping; the basement levels are bit more extensive with underground barracks etc.

Combat is starting to be easy. I expect to breeze through Wizardry VII: Crusaders of the Dark Savant with this party of super creatures (one of them is a fairy ninja called Gin).

(old post: I found an amulet of life, but when I assay it, it shows incomprehensible text. Is there a skill that affects the success of assaying artifacts? In Wizardry 8 it's the artifact skill, but the W6 manual only mentions that it affects use of artifacts during combat. What does the amulet of life do in W6 and how do I use it? Do I HAVE to identify it first?)

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
As far as I remember, it had something to do with resurrection.
Still, I don't recall actually using it; probably I just sold it.

I read the manual a bit more, but it didn't tell whether such items can be used without identification. It did say magical powers can be seen only by using the identify spell. I guess the enchantments are functional anyway, since that's the case in W7 according to some walkthrough I googled into.

The "incomprehensible text" was info about the classes etc that can use it.

Just fucking admit it if you haven't played it. By having played it we don't mean "tried for an hour or so."

Everyone wants to know whether RPGCodex lives up to its reputation as a hardcore place for hardcore RPG gamers.

Only 5% of the visitors to this page voting means only 2.5% of them have played Wizardry VI, but we want black on white for that (ink on paper or equivalent).

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well, I played it waaaay back (in the 90s ?).
Frankly I don't remember how long it took me.
Also, I didn't consult any walkthrough. I almost never do.

How thoroughly did you map the dungeons?
Very thoroughly. I always do, even the smallest ones. Makes me feel so nerdy. :?

I haven't played W7, btw. Only VI and VIII. They're a trilogy, right?
Time to play 'em all in one sitting I guess...

Luzur

Good Sir
ive fiNished it, gotten the pen and written the book, etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom