Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Xor said:
I haven't played it and I probably never will.

Word. Dungeon crawlers(lol "RPG") are meh, there is no such thing as "hard" RPG, and furfag races wielding +3 Laser Pistols of Quickness are just retarded.

Mackerel

Augur
Zomg said:
I'm the only person on the codex that would wreck it and I haven't gotten new game itchy enough to play it. My big angle for shitting on hack and fags would be that the hardest single player game is pretty fucking easy and/or the challenge, gameplay, whatever is illegitimate. Tthe stuff they jerk off over is so immeasurably better in earnestly competitive multiplayer games it's like they're downing shots of Listerine to get drunk.
Couldn't it be that 'hack and fags' are looking for an optimal ratio between fun (that thing we play games for) and 'difficulty' or that they are trying to get away from that truly difficult 'earnestly competitive multiplayer game' we call life? I do think I can see your point about how some people think hardcore dungeon crawlers are some kind of test of gamer manhood though, but the same could be said of hardcore competitive multiplayer games. It all comes down to personal taste.

Aside from that, I never finished Wiz8, though I bought it upon release and I've played through 6 and 7 multiple times. I really don't even know why, it just didn't have that same charm for me that could keep me going. I really should try and play through it again to see if I can peg what turned me off from it.

Tried to play it for a while, got turned off by too many battles against too many enemies all the thime. Also, I'm not sure if the "Ok, melee attack - do you want to PUNCH or KICK?" nonsense is present in 8 too.

oh, and nothing ever happened. I finished the starting dungeons, went to town and noticed it was the same thing, with patrols.

mondblut

Arcane
Wyrmlord said:
Ironically, people who do like first-person turn-based combat games and games with combat focus also happen to have certain groups of people who apparently find Wizardry 8 too new age, too different, and too clunky compared to older RPGs of both the same series and other such in the genre.

This.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Wiz8 is a great game. It has a beautifully crafted world. Interesting cities , nice characters , excellent customization and a fun battle system. The fact that it has a huge amount of battles and each one takes a lot of time to complete, can be some times good and some times bad. I think I spent about 100 hours with this game and that tells a lot about how well crafted it was.

Also, I wouldn't consider Wiz8 to be a dungeon crawler. It's a lot more of an RPG than the previous wizardries.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Best first person blob with arms RPG. But still not very good.

Entirely too much time is spent in random battles which drag out forever and are not tactical enough to justify the hours and hours you end up spending on them. I'm more a fan of hand crafted encounters, obsessively tweaked to the perfect balance. Unless your combat system is as inherently tactical as JA2 or X-Com, you're going to want to limit your random encounters if you want to keep me playing. Especially if your combat system is glacially slow.

I made two serious attempts at it, and while I was having something that resembled fun, but wasn't quite fun, at some point I just got tired of fighting random battles. The plot and the non random battles lacked the payoff to keep me going.

I'd classify every single gold box game as better, purely based on the combat system in Wizardry 8 not being good enough to carry the hours and hours of random encounters. Gold Box games had combat that moved much faster, making the random combat less painful, and more of the focus was on hand crafted encounters, although in both Wizardry and the Gold Box series encounter design could be unimaginative, it's still better to fight 30 giants due to a plot event than just to randomly encounter 30 giants while walking around.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
ghostdog said:
Wiz8 is a great game. It has a beautifully crafted world. Interesting cities , nice characters , excellent customization and a fun battle system. The fact that it has a huge amount of battles and each one takes a lot of time to complete, can be some times good and some times bad. I think I spent about 100 hours with this game and that tells a lot about how well crafted it was.

Also, I wouldn't consider Wiz8 to be a dungeon crawler. It's a lot more of an RPG than the previous wizardries.

largely true, but:

1) the combat system is not one of teh best evar! (as vazdru told) instead it's tedium incarnate, what's the worst that can happen to you? Exactly, fighting 12 wesps (that can't even damage you) in Trynton and have 2 trynnie patrols come to your aid! Awesome! Insignificant fight lasts 30min *yawn*

2) everyone complaining about filler combat in Bioware or obsidian games should play Wiz8 to reevaluate their position

3) skillz dependant on usage - leading to tedious using up your mana before rest for casters to increase you casting skills like in Oblivion! It sucked there it sucks here.

4) casters to weak, spells to weak, retarded TB system, that does not allow you to move when it's your turn and does not allow you to react to current events cause you have to decide what you're doing way before the chars get their turn (I mean often there happens something inbetween and you would want 1 char do something different now)

other than that it's a pretty good game - recommended

Weresloth

Novice
14 people think Wizardy 8 is one of the greatest of all time? Whoa, mindboggling.

I didn't vote because of the wording of the poll, Wiz 8 is a fine game overall. I had a lot of fun with it though I've always been adverse to Fantasy meets sci fi. In no way shape or forum does it come close to the top as far as rpgs go however in my opinion.

Of course everyone has a very different opinion of what an rpg is so that is not surprising.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I voted one of the best simply because there was no middle ground in this poll. Kinda sucks, because as an RPG, that's exactly what this game is: middle of the ground. It has flaws, definitely. Combat can be insanely tedious. But if you get a high level fight, it can be challenging and fun as hell. Only problem is the lack of options for melee other than a simple attack. No variations on attack types, etc. It can be monotonous.
It also is a gem, to me, in particular because the game feels damn good when I play it. Early on though, is definitely the best part of the game. It tends to enter into a bit of a borefest towards the end, but those who know about sirtech understand why.
Overall, good game, not enough dungeons, some flaws, but a great RPG experience nonetheless.

Castanova

Prophet
My experience with the game was that I absolutely loved it but suddenly no longer had the urge to continue playing and never finished it. I prefer this to games that are only p good but I finish them anyway.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Kingcomrade

Wiz8 is a solid RPG, one of Sir-Tech's finest. I still think that it lacks RoA type of combat though - due to first person view combat feels clunky or something and you can't "manouever" like you did in RoA which Sir-Tech published - it also had randomly generated battle maps apart from everything else. I simply don't like first person perspective in RPGs but I can live with that.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
VentilatorOfDoom said:
1) the combat system is not one of teh best evar! (as vazdru told) instead it's tedium incarnate, what's the worst that can happen to you? Exactly, fighting 12 wesps (that can't even damage you) in Trynton and have 2 trynnie patrols come to your aid! Awesome! Insignificant fight lasts 30min *yawn*

I was talking about blob-party games. Wiz 8 combat system beats the crap out of the M&M, Lands of lore, Eye of the beholder, Dungeon master and such. Party formation, stamina, fumbling spells, use of the terrain and phased rounds makes it very tactical compared to any other game of the genre. Even previous wizardrys.

Now the random encounter frequency is another thing. I didn't mind it as much as many of you, but it's not what I was talking about. It doesn't make the combat bad per se, it just gives you too much of it.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Lonely Vazdru said:
I was talking about blob-party games.

Ok then, refering only to those, Wiz8 is the best also in my opinion. Doesn't change that I don't like it though.

due to first person view combat feels clunky or something and you can't "manouever"

exactly, it's annoying. party based should be iso so you can conviniently navigate your partymembers

Relayer71

Liturgist
Great game, great way for the series to go out, and sadly the last of its kind.

Still holds up well today (must play with that mod that speeds up combat movement though) if you like combat heavy RPGs with varied (and useful) classes.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
- Stupid classes like samuraï and ninja.
Because all RPGs must have only: fighters, mages, clerics, thiefs, paladins and rangers. Monks and barbarians are also ok but samurai or ninja are not ! Brilliant logic.
Bleh, there are moments i hate D&D.

- Story is a bit on the cheesy side
Of curse its cheesy - its meant to be like this but imo its a good tongue-in-cheek kind of cheesy.

Answering to OP, its not one of the greatest RPG. Its only a dungeon crawler where fighting is 99% of the game, a very good one but its not enough to be called one of the greatest rpg imo.

^
bush_debate_poland.jpg

LV said:
I think western fantasy and oriental one don't mix too well.

Well, ninjas and samurais aren't fantasy

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Serus said:
Monks and barbarians are also ok but samurai or ninja are not ! Brilliant logic.

It's definitely not logical, it' a bit racist even. Were I a vulcan I'd be devastated. But I'm not, and as a player I think western fantasy and oriental one don't mix too well. Mixing Fantasy + Sci Fi was hazardous enough.

Plus, alchemist ninjas might be ok, but fireball spewing samuraïs are not.

ecliptic

Liturgist
The thing that killed it for me was the gutting of all of the keyboard shortcuts. No way I'm clicking to move and do everything else.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Shannow said:
Kingcomrade

Good game. Too much (random) combat.

Agreed. I once cooked an entire meal while fighting one fight in the monastery. This was before I found that wizfast app.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Combining sci-fi and fantasy is absurdist and over the top.

Hence, videogames.

DraQ

Arcane
Serus said:
- Story is a bit on the cheesy side
Of curse its cheesy - its meant to be like this but imo its a good tongue-in-cheek kind of cheesy.
This. I prefer less goofy games, but it doesn't mean I didn't find Wiz8's goofiness thoroughly enjoyable and charming, and it's evident from all the little things in it, that it's makers had just as much fun making the game.

As for the "silly" classes, they mesh well with the overall mish-mash the rest of the game is. If only you didn't have to fight two 30' battles every time you have to go to the outhouse... :roll:

Still, the combat mechanics is very nice, despite the limitations of partyblob and despite it's slowness, stats are nice and plentiful, spells are cool, exploration, while not quite TES, certainly beats tedious wiping fog of war off the map as seen in IE games (even if the map was pretty), NPCs have a lot of 'dialogue' and pretty distinct personalities for a dungeon crawl, and the amount of C&C is nice, especially for a dungeon crawl.

Is it one of the best RPGs? Yes, though the fact that this statement is formulated in such way that every fucking RPG in history qualifies certainly helps. The fact that most of the RPGs suck, while Wiz8 doesn't helps as well. :cool:

It's a very good game, and I'd say great, even. I think it is a nice blend between the early 90s style of RPG and the late 90s early 00 style, and it was a worthy addition to the franchise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom