Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Zeus

Cipher
Paula Tormeson IV said:
I'd be surprised if Jap platformers didn't have a Western precursor. Really, really surprised. If they didn't, then that would of course completely destroy my argument.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platform_game#History

"Frogs, an arcade game released by Gremlin in 1978, was the first game to feature a jumping character, making it the genre's earliest ancestor. Players could not control the direction of the jump however, nor was it possible to jump between different platforms, only to fall off either side of the one platform on screen."

"Donkey Kong, an arcade game created by Nintendo, released in July 1981, was the first game that allowed players to jump over obstacles and across gaps, making it the first true platformer."

Mackerel

Augur
This is not a platform game:
880_1.png

Space Panic is the clear precursor to Donkey Kong, it's a Japanese game.
Space_Panic_COL_ScreenShot2.gif

It doesn't involve jumping though.

Miyamoto did get the idea for the Mario/Kong/Girl characters from Popeye though.

I guess it's safe to say that influence is an elusive thing and it's difficult to say what influenced what, but the West produced the seeds that grew into platformers.

Azarkon

Arcane
The seeds of everything were already contained in the first moments of the universe's birth; therefore, there is nothing new under the sun, only the dance of primordial particles playing out their destinies like a programmer's fine scrawl.

In short: believe what you want.

Zeus

Cipher
Paula Tormeson IV said:
So Donkey Kong DID IN FACT have a Western precursor, even though it contained SOME innovation as well.

Just like how Spacewar! was the precursor to Halo, because of its "shoot" button.

And Pong totally stole its dial controls from radios and television.

It's funny. It's FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How the hell can grown men think that the universe was ever born? Nothing comes out of nothing!!!!!

Have you ever, EVER, witnessed something coming out of nothing? Have you ever witnessed anything that wasn't simply something CHANGING into something else? No? Then why do you think there has ever been anything else than something CHANGING into something else?

The universe is eternal, idiots. All you idiots who can't grasp the basic implications of the most basic facts of reality.

Zeus said:
Paula Tormeson IV said:
So Donkey Kong DID IN FACT have a Western precursor, even though it contained SOME innovation as well.

Just like how Spacewar! was the precursor to Halo, because of its "shoot" button.

And Pong totally stole its dial controls from radios and television.
I already corrected myself.

Azarkon

Arcane
Birth does not imply rising from nothingness. You come out of your mother's snatch, not the void. Your flesh is a matrix of proteins, broken down and reconstructed within the chambers of the womb.

Perhaps if you dwelt on this for more than ten seconds, you would have realized what you did not read.

Zeus

Cipher
Azarkon said:
Perhaps if you dwelt on this for more than ten seconds, you would have realized what you did not read.

Easy, Azarkon. She's from the "Superior Plane". I hear the air's pretty thin around there.

BS, Azarkon. Birth implies coming out of nothing. But I'll accept your more sophisticated metaphor. But I don't accept that the universe was born, because it wasn't.

Lets all stop being dicks.

Some people like Japanese games.

Some like Eurogames.

Some like American games.

Some like all fucking 3.

Who really gives a shit other than trolls and dickweeds trying to be hardasses on the Internet?

Captain Rufus said:
Lets all stop being dicks.

Some people like Japanese games.

Some like Eurogames.

Some like American games.

Some like all fucking 3.

Who really gives a shit other than trolls and dickweeds trying to be hardasses on the Internet?

I wouldn't give a shit if it wasn't for the fact that you liking japanese games proves you're completely, irredeemably retarded

But that's just how it is!

I like games. If that makes me a bad person because my Ultima shrine doesn't explode because its sitting next to a Sega Genesis with Phantasy Star in a Power Base Convertor sitting on top of it oh fucking well.

If I wanted to play electronic games that made people like me I would be playing Madden and Halo. (Or whatever the fuck people played back in 88-92 when I became an RPG dork. Which was Sports Game Sports Game Sports Game.)

Im trying to be nice to you because I was like you once, blatting about Fallout 2 like it just gave me the best blowjob of my life and ragging on the Final Fantasy games.

Did it make the weeaboo gamers magically become CRPGers? No. It made me a douchebag and made them think all CRPGers were douchebags. (NMA and some of the folks here clearly continue this effort in marginalization.)

It did in fact the opposite.

I know this is shocking for many, but acting like the US Hells Kitchen Gordon Ramsay and Lee Emery from Full Metal Jacket in complete Drill Instructor mode usually doesn't get people to come to your way of thinking.

It kind of does the opposite.

So good moves pigfucker. There may have been somebody out there who saw this thread somehow who could have been swayed from just playing the latest JRPG into giving a CRPG a chance but saw your attempts at being a badass on a videogame forum (or your genuine spergy attempts at showing us the TRUE PATH TO RPGS) and has now come to the conclusion the genre is played by a bunch of dickweeds and are now running back to the Atlus forums as fast as their mouse can take them.

Captain Rufus said:
Im trying to be nice to you because I was like you once, blatting about Fallout 2 like it just gave me the best blowjob of my life and ragging on the Final Fantasy games.

Ironically, long ago I was blatting about jRPGs like they just gave me the best blowjob of my life.

WHAT A TWIST!

Then I grew the fuck up and seeing kind-hearted 12-year-olds from poor rural villages grabbing the sword and killing satan with power of friendship while spouting high-school level deep philosophical statements doesn't do it for me anymore. Why, I even stopped watching Sesame Street!

See, it doesn't even have anything to do whether it's a "real" RPG or not. You're still watching Teletubbies.

How does that fit into your grand Werter's Original scheme?

mondblut

Arcane
Captain Rufus said:
No. It made me a douchebag and made them think all CRPGers were douchebags. (NMA and some of the folks here clearly continue this effort in marginalization.)

You say it like it's something bad.

I know this is shocking for many, but acting like the US Hells Kitchen Gordon Ramsay and Lee Emery from Full Metal Jacket in complete Drill Instructor mode usually doesn't get people to come to your way of thinking.

It kind of does the opposite.

Why should we care? We are not a church. Or if we are, we are more like the joos. No preaching to the despicable goyim, they shall serve and be exploited, only we are the chosen ones of G*d and a master race.

There may have been somebody out there... running back to the Atlus forums as fast as their mouse can take them.

Good riddance, then. They are unworthy and shit.

Emotional Vampire said:
Then I grew the fuck up and seeing kind-hearted 12-year-olds from poor rural villages grabbing the sword and killing satan with power of friendship while spouting high-school level deep philosophical statements doesn't do it for me anymore.

Now we have extreme hearted space marines defeating cosmic horrors with the power of collar grabbing

...I am disappoint

Clockwork Knight said:
Emotional Vampire said:
Then I grew the fuck up and seeing kind-hearted 12-year-olds from poor rural villages grabbing the sword and killing satan with power of friendship while spouting high-school level deep philosophical statements doesn't do it for me anymore.

Now we have extreme hearted space marines defeating cosmic horrors with the power of collar grabbing

You can't even make it sound nearly as bad and you know it :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom