Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Mackerel

Augur
Emotional Vampire said:
liking japanese games proves you're completely, irredeemably retarded
Emotional Vampire said:
Ironically, long ago I was blatting about jRPGs like they just gave me the best blowjob of my life.
Out of the mouths of babes...

Zeus

Cipher
Mackerel said:
Emotional Vampire said:
Emotional Vampire said:
Ironically, long ago I was blatting about jRPGs like they just gave me the best blowjob of my life.

Which Emotional Vampire do you agree with?

Shannow

Waster of Time
Zeus said:
Mackerel said:
Emotional Vampire said:
Emotional Vampire said:

Which Emotional Vampire do you agree with?
Why? The comments aren't at odds.
She states that liking jRPGs makes you irredeemably retarded and states that she used to like them. If one follows her argument she says that she herself is retarded. Which doesn't come as a surprize, does it?

Divinity: Original Sin
SkeleTony said:
Gold slightly messed up Diplomacy, the general consensus is and had some terrible voice acting(by non-actors who worked at Sir-Tech apparently).

However, it had great voice over narrative and some handy features that made it more user-friendly. But it also has a major problem with modern systems like Win XP where the text goes by far too fast to be read(and Mo-Slo and Dosbox cannot help you here).

I played Gold before I played CoDS so I am coming at this from a slightly different perspective but I find Gold to be better than CoDS/7. Even with the text-speed problem(you can always use a walkthrough to figure out what you need to say to whatever NPC).

For the speed text, there's a manual fix, which requires a Hex editor.

Descrbed here:

http://www.softwarespecialties.com/dcfo ... /1211.html

hal900x

Augur
Jasede said:
How did I miss this thread?

Kill yourself, OP.

I know right? You totally missed an opportunity to spread misery there. Well, better late than never, right?

Although strangely enough, it's usually the people saying stuff like "Kill yourself" that end up actually committing suicide.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Wizardry 8 is considered by many to be one of the greatest RPGs, if not the greatest RPG, of all time.

However:

The narrative/interaction-inclined crowd has some very strict and selective people who dislike it for being a "mindless blob dungeon crawler".

Ironically, people who do like first-person turn-based combat games and games with combat focus also happen to have certain groups of people who apparently find Wizardry 8 too new age, too different, and too clunky compared to older RPGs of both the same series and other such in the genre.

In all possible cases, among both people who like it and don't like it, there are still complaints that Wizardry 8 is made more problematic to play because all the enemies the player is fighting are not shown in the screen at the same time, as opposed to older Wizardries which did show all the enemies and their numbers.

There are also complaints that Wizardry 8 has a poor difficulty curve, because it gets too easy afterwards, while starting out quite hard.

So with all the cards on the table, what is everybody's final word on Wizardry 8?

Zomg

Arbiter
I'm the only person on the codex that would wreck it and I haven't gotten new game itchy enough to play it. My big angle for shitting on hack and fags would be that the hardest single player game is pretty fucking easy and/or the challenge, gameplay, whatever is illegitimate. Tthe stuff they jerk off over is so immeasurably better in earnestly competitive multiplayer games it's like they're downing shots of Listerine to get drunk.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
The good :

Good exploration, good character development, nice interface, fantastic combat (the best I've seen in a blob-party game) and some original and interesting classes like the gadgeteer and bard.

The bad :

- Story is a bit on the cheesy side, from space-faring races using a party of level 1 nobodies as bodyguards first and super agents later, to Rapax becoming non hostile after you hacked your bloody way to the heart of their castle. Or rattlings strealing the artifact from the savant. :roll:

- It's true that the game gets a bit too easy during the second half or so.

- Stupid classes like samuraï and ninja.

- Furries.

The ugly :

Not enough dungeons. Except for the monastery (which is a very good dungeon, and a great incentive to create a party and replay the game, yet another time) there are almost no dungeons in the game. Mostly outdoor areas and cities. Both are nice, but the lack of "real" dungeon crawling was the thing I regretted most in this game.

Overall the good greatly outweighted the bad, and I think it's a great game.

It is a decent game and I enjoyed it quite a bit. The only problem I have with it is, on occasion, the game throws a few too many random battles at the player.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
This is faithful sequel for one of the greatest RPGs of all time and therefore good game.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO THIS IS ONE GAME I WANT TO TRY I LIKED SOME OF THE OLDER WIZARDRIES

Multi-headed Cow

BE CAREFUL BRO IT HAS 3D GRAPHICS THERE TRYING TO MAKE YOU THINK ITS A REAL COMPUTER GAME BUT ITS THE CONSOLILIZATIARDATION LIKE FALLOUT THREE YOU KNOW? ONCE YOU GO THREE DEE YOU ARE NOT PEE CEE

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH YOU'RE SHIT IS WEAK SORRY I KNOW YOU TRY

Multi-headed Cow

AT LEAST IM TRYING BUT MAN WHEN I SEE THOSE CONSOLES I JUST THINK OF FUCKING HALO AND I CANT HELP IT I PICK UP THE CONTROLLER AND START TELLING ALL THOSE CONSOLEFAGS WHAT FAGS THEY ARE AND SHOOT THEM I KNOW I SHOULDNT BUT I CANT HELP IT I JUST GET SO MAD

bhlaab

Erudite
I've played it for 3 min and the interface was kind of hard to figure out and my stupid characters kept shouting at each other. Then I walked into a cave and stopped playing. The end.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO I HERE YOU ABOUT THE CONSOLETARDS BUT WHY ARE YOU PLAYING HALO ANYWAYS?!?!?<<!

BRO HATE TO SAY THIS BUT YOU ARE A POSER GO BACK TO GAMEFAGS WITH THE REST OF THE KIDDIES AND YOUR SHIT IS STILL WEAK

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
OH YEAH BRO IF YOU DIDN'T TRY SO HARD YOU WOULDNT SEEM LIKE SUCH A DOOSHBAG

Multi-headed Cow

BUT I GOT BANNED THERE I WAS TOO MUCH FOR THEMA ND TOO MUCH FOR THE CODEX I DONT KNOW WHERE I BELONG

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Zomg said:
I'm the only person on the codex that would wreck it and I haven't gotten new game itchy enough to play it. My big angle for shitting on hack and fags would be that the hardest single player game is pretty fucking easy and/or the challenge, gameplay, whatever is illegitimate. Tthe stuff they jerk off over is so immeasurably better in earnestly competitive multiplayer games it's like they're downing shots of Listerine to get drunk.
Zomg, I understand you are a middle aged man married with children, but there is no need to embrace this hip talk to appeal to us youngsters. Feel free to talk in your normal grown up straight edge manner, and we'll all adapt well enough to it.

Anyway, in your view:

- there is no singleplayer game ever that is honestly difficult
- the only form of difficulty singleplayer games ever throw at a player is illegitimate

Even so, if challenge meant nothing more than a longer time taken to understand what it takes to go between point A and point B, isn't that more than enough for a gamer, with the idea of playing games just being a way of spending time?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom