Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout There May Be Hope For Fallout 5's Quality After All?...

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
462190059-3846731105597575-3632022792915072442-n.jpg

After the success of the Fallout tv series, I feel like the Fallout brand has become more important to Microsoft than ever, and the company is using The Elder Scrolls 6 as the final test to see if Bethesda can get back its mojo before Fallout 5's development begins. If The Elder Scrolls 6 made by Bethesda is as bad as Starfield and its DLC, it will lead to 2 potential outcomes:
1) Either Bethesda will undergo a major restructuring before making Fallout 5 (replacing game director and CEO Todd Howard, lead writer Emil Pagliarulo as well as switching engine)
2) Or Microsoft will wrench the Fallout IP from Todd & Emil's grip then entrust Fallout 5 to another studio under its wing like Obsidian or Inxile

Therefore, I harbor some slight hope for Fallout 5's quality regardless of Bethesda's fate after The Elder Scrolls 6. Noted that by "quality" I mean mainstream reception instead of the Codex's refined taste... Your thoughts?

Last edited:

scytheavatar

Scholar
What makes you think Obsidian and Inxile will still be around by the time TESVI comes out? By then there's a good chance both Feargus and Fargo have retired from the industry.

Nas92

Augur
Obsidian has become dogshit, inXile has always been dogshit, so that's not a particularly good ray of hope.

Also everything indicates that the glory days of Bethesda are over, they can no longer even sell their slop. Like as not there will be restructuring as in everyone will be fired after TESVI comes out and they will only be doing patches, remasters, and support for the online games. The Fallout franchise will become a strictly TV franchise, no new Fallout game will ever be released.

Just let it go. Everything has to be over at some point, the Fallout franchise is no different. It's lived too long already, much like the Elder Scrolls franchise.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Obsidian has become dogshit, inXile has always been dogshit, so that's not a particularly good ray of hope.
Nah, Wasteland 3 from Inxile was pretty good, if I were Microsoft, I would pay close attention to how their upcoming Steampunk first-person rpg is received.

Agree about Obsidian though, The Outer World was bland as fuck, and by the look of it Avowed seem to be follow suit quality-wise.
The Fallout franchise will become a strictly TV franchise, no new Fallout game will ever be released.

In your fucking dream, the prospect of another single-player Fallout game is too lucrative for Microsoft to not try again at least once at some point, the question is whether they would let current Bethesda do it or not.

scytheavatar

Scholar
I don't think Microsoft wants to wait 10+ years for Bethesda to finish ESVI before the next Fallout is started.

Their options for a studio that can make the next Fallout is super limited, it's not like there's a lot of options out there. People who want Obsidian to make another Fallout game are out of touch with reality, as if they want to make a post apocalypse version of Avowed. The most realistic option Microsoft has for another studio would be one of the COD studios, which would bring about the question as to how Microsoft can maintain the COD pipeline.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Ah yes. Microsoft will want to capitalize on the popularity of the TV show by waiting 10 years to release the next Fallout game.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
462190059-3846731105597575-3632022792915072442-n.jpg

After the success of the Fallout tv series, I feel like the Fallout brand has become more important to Microsoft than ever, and the company is using The Elder Scrolls 6 as the final test to see if Bethesda can get back its mojo before Fallout 5's development begins. If The Elder Scrolls 6 made by Bethesda is as bad as Starfield and its DLC, it will lead to 2 potential outcomes:
1) Either Bethesda will undergo a major restructuring before making Fallout 5 (replacing game director and CEO Todd Howard, lead writer Emil Pagliarulo as well as switching engine)
2) Or Microsoft will wrench the Fallout IP from Todd & Emil's grip then entrust Fallout 5 to another studio under its wing like Obsidian or Inxile

Therefore, I harbor some slight hope for Fallout 5's quality regardless of Bethesda's fate after The Elder Scrolls 6. Noted that by "quality" I mean mainstream reception instead of the Codex's refined taste... Your thoughts?
It will be all shit.
And fuck that game engine already.
Christ, they are using it since forever and it looks like shit.

Fargus

Arcane
Engine is alright, sure it has quirks but it offers modability other games can only dream of. And biggest reason their games retain huge popularity. The retarded tripe they ship with engine is the problem on the other hand.

thesecret1

Arcane
Depends on whether Bethesda can improve its writing (not just dialogues and quests, but also worldbuilding etc.) as that's, really, the main issue with their spin on Fallout.

Fallout 4 runs with their theme park design, but they've gotten pretty good at making theme parks – the overworld is actually full of interesting shit, their level design improved a lot, combat is... less shit than it used to be, and they even showed innovation with the power armor and crafting mechanics. The main issue is that they insist on perpetual post-apo setting, where 95% of the map is just random mobs for you to kill with little in the way of NPCs to talk to, and the ones that you do talk to offer terrible, insipid dialogue. Worse yet, the quests are oftentimes completely retarded with nothing in them making any sense, and with, again, terrible characters and writing. The reasoning for this is likely Pete Hines's vision of the franchise, where he pretty much viewed it as something of an FPS where players are supposed to just go and kill stuff...

Really, fixing Fallout would be very simple for Beth, they'd just need to approach it with a different philosophy:
1. more towns with NPCs
2. more focus on dialogues (scrap the wheel, more options, more quests, etc.)
3. make at least an attempt to keep the world consistent
And that's it. That's all they need to do – give players more breaks between massacring mobs, provide a reason to actually care about the world via NPCs, and stop shitting in their own mouths with constant plotholes and setting inconsistencies.

Also either remove or completely redo the Settlement mechanic because it's some of the worst, most tedious, pointless shit I've ever witnessed in a video game.

Mortmal

Arcane
From what I've read in the reviews, there's no improvement at all in the writing for the Starfield DLC, so expect to get 'the message' again in Fallout 5. It would make sense to try something different and hire good writers after the success of the Amazon show, but the company is probably so entrenched in wokism that only a collapse will bring change."

Nas92

Augur
From what I've read in the reviews, there's no improvement at all in the writing for the Starfield DLC, so expect to get 'the message' again in Fallout 5. It would make sense to try something different and hire good writers after the success of the Amazon show, but the company is probably so entrenched in wokism that only a collapse will bring change."
The company was shit for a long time now, their wokism has little to do with it, except of course that they'll only "improve" in the wrong direction. If they finally fire Emil, maybe even Hines and Todd, they'll just be replaced by talentless 20 something pink haired SJWs.

Ryzer

Arcane
I do think that if Obsidian takes over the Fallout franchise it would be worse than under Bethesda supervision. That's generally what people want whenever they mention hiring better writers.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Nah, Wasteland 3 from Inxile was pretty good, if I were Microsoft, I would pay close attention to how their upcoming Steampunk first-person rpg is received.
wasnt there a leaked document showing how important people rate upcomming titles around audience buzz or something like that and all the rpgs were low. I remember there was some high profile title that codex was looking forward to and it was rated 'medium'.
Its either at CoD level or they dont care much. Many people on top in xbox are not gaymers

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom