Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout There May Be Hope For Fallout 5's Quality After All?...

BrainMuncher

Liturgist
Therefore, I harbor some slight hope for Fallout 5's quality regardless of Bethesda's fate after The Elder Scrolls 6. Noted that by "quality" I mean mainstream reception instead of the Codex's refined taste... Your thoughts?
Problem is the whole reason they acquired these studios is because MS doesn't know how to make games. So no matter what you think of Bethesda's efforts, if MS starts meddling they can only make it worse.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fedora Master I agree with you that today's entertainment (games, movies, TV, etc.) are terrible but you're becoming a one note poster. Give your responses some gravitas by explaining why said entertainment is crap. Otherwise people just ignore or skip past your posts...

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Fedora Master I agree with you that today's entertainment (games, movies, TV, etc.) are terrible but you're becoming a one note poster. Give your responses some gravitas by explaining why said entertainment is crap.
We're talking about Bethesda Fallout here. There is nothing to explain. Certainly not to the FUCKING RPG CODEX. You either enjoy their slop or you have a brain, a dick and a heart.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Engine is alright, sure it has quirks but it offers modability other games can only dream of. And biggest reason their games retain huge popularity. The retarded tripe they ship with engine is the problem on the other hand.
Yeah.
All those Big Tiddy Mods.
Serious quality.

Fargus

Arcane
Engine is alright, sure it has quirks but it offers modability other games can only dream of. And biggest reason their games retain huge popularity. The retarded tripe they ship with engine is the problem on the other hand.
Yeah.
All those Big Tiddy Mods.
Serious quality.

Oversimplification. You can't fix perma-coomers obsessed with waifu dress up in these games. They are universal cancer, not just for bethesda games.

But modding has much more to offer.

Drowed

Arcane
The problem with Bethesda's writing, which is also the same problem with the vast majority of companies (or writers) who write poorly, is an application of the Dunning–Kruger effect. In the same proportion that they are unable to write a good script, they are also unable to perceive how incompetent they are at it - which causes them not to recognize the problem in the first place.

On the contrary, incompetent people tend to overestimate their own ability. And now that we know that most major studios are going through a crisis of toxic positivity, you have a scenario where someone creates a stupid story thinking it's brilliant, and no one around dares to say otherwise. Obviously this is not the only problem, but it is perhaps the one that most directly affects this issue.

And that's why I have no expectation that Fallout 5 will be even an acceptable game. The industry has become too big to fix its problems quickly and dynamically, now that projects take almost a decade to be released, I believe that the vast majority of failures of the next 5+ years are already in a too advanced stage in the creation process (or too stuck in the structural inertia of the production flow) to escape disaster.

Eventually, things will end up correcting themselves to some extent. After all, no company can survive infinitely with failure after failure. Either they will adjust course, minimally correct the direction to something closer to what the public expects, or they will break and close. I feel that the gaming market will undergo a considerable change in the next 5-10 years, at least when we talk about these big companies. Whether for better or worse, time will tell.

Gandalf

Arbiter
I'd expect a new Fallout game to come quicker, but that doesn't mean it's going to be quality one. It could be even more streamlined to appeal to broader audience.

Yosharian

Arcane
Pete Hines could give away all his millions of dollars and work in a sweatshop for the rest of his days and it still wouldn't be atonement for what he's done to Bethesda / the gaming industry / Fallout

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Pete Hines could give away all his millions of dollars and work in a sweatshop for the rest of his days and it still wouldn't be atonement for what he's done to Bethesda / the gaming industry / Fallout
Julian Lefay leaving Bethesda.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
When Fallout 5 or Elder Scroll 6 will be published, every single Bethesda employer will be retired or dead, and if retired and still alive, too senile to play them.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
The problem with Bethesda's writing, which is also the same problem with the vast majority of companies (or writers) who write poorly, is an application of the Dunning–Kruger effect. In the same proportion that they are unable to write a good script, they are also unable to perceive how incompetent they are at it - which causes them not to recognize the problem in the first place.
Bethesda has never understood Fallout and sadly the modern fans who were groomed via Fallout 3 don't either. Just look at The Frontier. So you can't expect them to write something good or at least appropriate and you can't count on modders to do any better.

ADL

Prophet
It all depends on whether or not TESVI is Todd and Emil's final game. They're around the same age so they'll both disappear together.
Todd will be back in Microsoft's good graces when Indiana Jones comes out.

Spukrian

Savant
Their options for a studio that can make the next Fallout is super limited, it's not like there's a lot of options out there. People who want Obsidian to make another Fallout game are out of touch with reality, as if they want to make a post apocalypse version of Avowed. The most realistic option Microsoft has for another studio would be one of the COD studios, which would bring about the question as to how Microsoft can maintain the COD pipeline.
Microsoft will find a way eventually. They've been wanting a new Fallout since long before the tv show aired.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom