Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Thiaf Pre-Release Thread

Bobbix

I got paid to like Thi4f
So just because I think this will be a good for 1 playthrough-8hour-ok game, makes me an advertising plant?

Surely it has more gameplay than games like Bioshock infinite or call of duty

7h30n

Augur
I watched some streams also, and these are my thoughts:

- The writing throughout was pretty great, much better than the trailers and press materials we've seen. Some nice references to the larger City, extensive documents throughout (newspapers, letters, missives,etc). I was impressed and relieved.
- Regarding level size - as mentioned above, it's bigger than we've been led to believe. There's a nice long underground passage network that undercuts the jeweler's area, and a number of alleys and nooks that we've never been shown. And somewhere in them is a unique piece of loot whic hteh guy found after two playthroughs, which is indicative of the level's scope
- The AI is decidedly solid, which is a great relief. You can't do knockout chains like the original games (remember the conga lines of guards outside the Bank?), they have unique barks and search patterns depending on how you've been detected (visually, aurally, via a discovered body, etc), they notice your shadow, relight torches, investigate open doors, turn on light switches - in all, they react as you expect them to, which is the highest compliment I think one can give AI in a game like this.
- You can jump off ropes at any point, not just the top (as erroneously reported)
- There is a surprisingly granular movement speed system

Looking forward to playing this decent looking game by the Eidos team

Couldn't you at least make up your own thoughts/opinions instead of copying them from Pillowman?

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
59ydmx.jpg

Oesophagus

Arcane
So just because I think this will be a good for 1 playthrough-8hour-ok game, makes me an advertising plant?

Let's see, day before game release someone registers an account, not in order to discuss any of the many faults mentioned, but just to point out that actually, you're all wrong and the game will be brilliant and anyway it's not 1998 so you gotta have parkour and cinematic ackshun.

Like I said, either a plant or a codexer having a jolly ol' time

nil

Cipher
Heh, I never thought of that before, the people that played Deadly Shadows on Xbox will now be considered the veteran old school fans of the series, and will act as so.

What a glorious time to be alive.

remember the old days of hardcore crpgs? like Dragon age and Mass Effect and Fallout 3...
But seriously, imagine the gaming scene 20 years from now. Just imagine it. :lol:

"Hah you weren't even around during the golden days of MW2, how can you even judge multiplayers?"

"Hahah, peasants thinking they know shit about strategy games, I've been playing these since League of Legends, were you out of your diapers already by then? You haven't even played these classics that created the genre by focusing on one unit control"

"Pussies these days wouldn't even be able to walk to Megaton in FO3. Bethesda classics were extremely hardcore and didn't held the player by the hand, you had to ask around if people have seen your father. There was also none of this action bullshit, you had to pause and plan which part of the enemy's body you wanted to attack. New gamers wouldn't stand 15 minutes of it. God, it's so sad to be an old school gamer among this ocean of ignorants."
The games of today have gameplay only because of technological limitations.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
After some consideration I have opted to remove the title of Advertising Plant from Bobbix again. Sorry if it was of any inconvenience.

Bobbix

I got paid to like Thi4f
you're all wrong and the game will be brilliant and anyway

Never said other people are wrong, just pointing out the good things about the game, just because it has some different mechancis and elements than the old game, doesn't make it a bad game overall.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity

Never said other people are wrong, just pointing out the good things about the game, just because it has some different mechancis and elements than the old game, doesn't make it a bad game overall.
How do you know they're good if you haven't played it?

Or are you saying that your Twitch-based opinion is superior to others' Twitch-based opinions?

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Then why make/ call it a "Thief" game to begin with?
Can't believe I responded to this plant/ troll/ shill/ etc... :oops:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

- The writing throughout was pretty great, much better than the trailers and press materials we've seen. Some nice references to the larger City, extensive documents throughout (newspapers, letters, missives,etc). I was impressed and relieved.
- Regarding level size - as mentioned above, it's bigger than we've been led to believe. There's a nice long underground passage network that undercuts the jeweler's area, and a number of alleys and nooks that we've never been shown. And somewhere in them is a unique piece of loot whic hteh guy found after two playthroughs, which is indicative of the level's scope
- The AI is decidedly solid, which is a great relief. You can't do knockout chains like the original games (remember the conga lines of guards outside the Bank?), they have unique barks and search patterns depending on how you've been detected (visually, aurally, via a discovered body, etc), they notice your shadow, relight torches, investigate open doors, turn on light switches - in all, they react as you expect them to, which is the highest compliment I think one can give AI in a game like this.
- You can jump off ropes at any point, not just the top (as erroneously reported)

Couldn't you at least make up your own thoughts/opinions instead of copying them from Pillowman?
:lol: Fucking shit! This is hilarious! He copied it word by word. Do we really need guys like this, JarlFrank ?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

:lol: Fucking shit! This is hilarious! He copied it word by word. Do we really need guys like this, JarlFrank ?

He's reasonably entertaining. I'll keep him around as a plaything until I tire of it.

retardation

Learned

image.jpg

7/10

Learned
I for one plan to play this bad boy for at least 5 minutes, before writing my honest and unbiased opinion on Metacritic.

Deleted member 11480

It's not 1998 anymore.....
Oh, do we know this.

Games released in 1998 said:
Thief - The Dark Project
Grim Fandango
Caesar 3
Myth 2
Starcraft
Age of Empires
Fallout 2
Baldur's Gate
Half Life
Oddworld - Abe's Exoddus
Heart of Darkness
Commandos - Behind Enemy Lines
Unreal
Might & Magic 6 - Mandate of Heaven
Railroad Tycoon 2
The Settlers 3
Populous - The Beginning
Knights and Merchants
Rainbow Six
Tomb Raider 3
Sanitarium
Zelda - Ocarina of Time
Crash Bandicoot 3
Resident Evil 2
Parasite Eve
F-Zero X
Metal Gear Solid
Jazz Jackrabbit 2
Pokemon Red/Blue
Metal Slug 2
Marvel VS Capcom
KoF 98
Both Total Annihilation expansions
Quake 2 expansions

It DEFINITELY isn't 1998 anymore.

:negative:

Also, get the fuck out.

Divinity: Original Sin
But seriously, imagine the gaming scene 20 years from now. Just imagine it. :lol:

"Hah you weren't even around during the golden days of MW2, how can you even judge multiplayers?"

"Hahah, peasants thinking they know shit about strategy games, I've been playing these since League of Legends, were you out of your diapers already by then? You haven't even played these classics that created the genre by focusing on one unit control"

"Pussies these days wouldn't even be able to walk to Megaton in FO3. Bethesda classics were extremely hardcore and didn't held the player by the hand, you had to ask around if people have seen your father. There was also none of this action bullshit, you had to pause and plan which part of the enemy's body you wanted to attack. New gamers wouldn't stand 15 minutes of it. God, it's so sad to be an old school gamer among this ocean of ignorants."

As funny and ironic this is, probably it's very accurate. The only consolation is that retards now will all suffer what we are suffering now.

This is a reflex of the gaming industry: a bunch of developers competing against themselves and against their previous creations... While in other artforms we have respect for older and newer things alike - the movie industry aways re-release their old classics in the newest presentation medias - while in gaming, the sequel of a game is advertised not as an improvement of the previous entry, but instead it is as if the previous entry was a shitty game to begin with. Even if the original game in a franchise was a GOTY. Thiaf is an example of this, but in gaming, this often happens even when a game is separated from it's sequel by a year or so.

See how after bioshock infinite nobody really cares about bioshock 1, as if it never existed at all? Even when bioshock 1 came and it was a GOTY? I mentioned movies, and that happens in movie industry as well - specially these days, but in gaming it's like policy. And when it's sequel to an old game, like fallout or thief, they say they were good games... but are obsolete and a mere curiosity... a relic. That's the maximum show of respect a developer has to an old game, but deep down, they don't care about the old stuff and are arrogant pricks that imagine they're above and their game is the best.

When I see those "homages" in thiaf, like hints of keeper and hammerites presence, I don't feel like it's a homage at all, but more likely they're mocking the old thief games.

If you want to play a modern thief experience, the best you will get is dishonored, which is not thief, but looks like it has a proper atmosphere and setting than thiaf. Or if you want a true thief experience, go play some FMs in any form, be it the originals FMs, or the dark mod, or even Deadly shadows FMs, for even the worst of them is actually better than thiaf, a game that is shit, because we all know it without even playing.

When you see the faces like these:

:smug:
nicolas-cantin-thief.jpg
Aliens.jpg

2s7ay6o.jpg
:gumpyhead::hearnoevil:

How can this game not be shit?

What makes me angry is not the game itself, but the smug face of that guy in the first foto, the human reject in the second and the retard in the third, all posing themseves as the knew looking glass...

MapMan

Arcane

How much do they pay you?

I'm asking because I want to sign up for such a sweet deal myself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom