Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Thiaf Pre-Release Thread

Oesophagus

Arcane
I still think it's DU screwing around

7/10

Learned
Well, Thiaf indeed has quite a few fans. Here are some hand-picked comments from a single youtube giveaway video:

"This reminds me of the dishonored play through :D hope is as good as that one, u know ray is gonna end up mass murdering guards in a few episodes haha xD keep up the good work guys "

"Chill thug life listen to tupac and fuck illuminati also thief is so amazing outstanding game love it I just wanna play it I am desperate ill do anything what you want media cows I'll anything plzz I'll lick your shoes make a sane itch anything I just need the ps4 version on thief plzzzzzzz"

"I am new to this franchise but it made me nuts of how awesome it is. I hope that I will this giveaway cause I never had money for games on my PS3 :("

"Game looks really good, loved deadly shadows. Would love to have this on PC and try out being totally stealth."

"I would love a Steam copy :D I've been waiting for this game since I heard about it. I just finished Dishonored and would love another stealth game :)"

"I would love to get a copy of the pc version because i dont have a consol and i look at this game and i really really want it!! sadly i cant get the game because im studieing. but i really really want it!! please!"

Bobbix

I got paid to like Thi4f
I watched some streams also, and these are my thoughts:

- The writing throughout was pretty great, much better than the trailers and press materials we've seen. Some nice references to the larger City, extensive documents throughout (newspapers, letters, missives,etc). I was impressed and relieved.
- Regarding level size - as mentioned above, it's bigger than we've been led to believe. There's a nice long underground passage network that undercuts the jeweler's area, and a number of alleys and nooks that we've never been shown. And somewhere in them is a unique piece of loot whic hteh guy found after two playthroughs, which is indicative of the level's scope
- The AI is decidedly solid, which is a great relief. You can't do knockout chains like the original games (remember the conga lines of guards outside the Bank?), they have unique barks and search patterns depending on how you've been detected (visually, aurally, via a discovered body, etc), they notice your shadow, relight torches, investigate open doors, turn on light switches - in all, they react as you expect them to, which is the highest compliment I think one can give AI in a game like this.
- You can jump off ropes at any point, not just the top (as erroneously reported)
- There is a surprisingly granular movement speed system

Looking forward to playing this decent looking game by the Eidos team

Oesophagus

Arcane
Heh, I never thought of that before, the people that played Deadly Shadows on Xbox will now be considered the veteran old school fans of the series, and will act as so.

What a glorious time to be alive.

remember the old days of hardcore crpgs? like Dragon age and Mass Effect and Fallout 3...

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity

- The writing throughout was pretty great
Have you played it? No? Then you aren't in a position to judge it.
- The AI is decidedly solid

AngryKobold

Arcane

I doubt it works in the reversed way...

zwanzig_zwoelf

Heh, I never thought of that before, the people that played Deadly Shadows on Xbox will now be considered the veteran old school fans of the series, and will act as so.

I played the first Splinter Cell, I'm more oldschool than you! #yolo

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
But seriously, imagine the gaming scene 20 years from now. Just imagine it. :lol:

"Hah you weren't even around during the golden days of MW2, how can you even judge multiplayers?"

"Hahah, peasants thinking they know shit about strategy games, I've been playing these since League of Legends, were you out of your diapers already by then? You haven't even played these classics that created the genre by focusing on one unit control"

"Pussies these days wouldn't even be able to walk to Megaton in FO3. Bethesda classics were extremely hardcore and didn't held the player by the hand, you had to ask around if people have seen your father. There was also none of this action bullshit, you had to pause and plan which part of the enemy's body you wanted to attack. New gamers wouldn't stand 15 minutes of it. God, it's so sad to be an old school gamer among this ocean of ignorants."

throwing up.jpg

octavius

Arcane
Patron

I played the first Splinter Cell, I'm more oldschool than you! #yolo

I hated the first Splinter Cell, I'm even more oldschool.

DraQ

Arcane

remember the old days of hardcore crpgs? like Dragon age and Mass Effect and Fallout 3...
But seriously, imagine the gaming scene 20 years from now. Just imagine it. :lol:

"Hah you weren't even around during the golden days of MW2, how can you even judge multiplayers?"

"Hahah, peasants thinking they know shit about strategy games, I've been playing these since League of Legends, were you out of your diapers already by then? You haven't even played these classics that created the genre by focusing on one unit control"

"Pussies these days wouldn't even be able to walk to Megaton in FO3. Bethesda classics were extremely hardcore and didn't held the player by the hand, you had to ask around if people have seen your father. There was also none of this action bullshit, you had to pause and plan which part of the enemy's body you wanted to attack. New gamers wouldn't stand 15 minutes of it. God, it's so sad to be an old school gamer among this ocean of ignorants."
Everything is shit.
:negative:
Drunkards are wiser than us - at least booze will remain booze.

Angthoron

Arcane

I doubt it works in the reversed way...
Have you tried it? No? Then you aren't in a position to judge it.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

- The writing throughout was pretty great, much better than the trailers and press materials we've seen. Some nice references to the larger City, extensive documents throughout (newspapers, letters, missives,etc). I was impressed and relieved.
- Regarding level size - as mentioned above, it's bigger than we've been led to believe. There's a nice long underground passage network that undercuts the jeweler's area, and a number of alleys and nooks that we've never been shown. And somewhere in them is a unique piece of loot whic hteh guy found after two playthroughs, which is indicative of the level's scope
- The AI is decidedly solid, which is a great relief. You can't do knockout chains like the original games (remember the conga lines of guards outside the Bank?), they have unique barks and search patterns depending on how you've been detected (visually, aurally, via a discovered body, etc), they notice your shadow, relight torches, investigate open doors, turn on light switches - in all, they react as you expect them to, which is the highest compliment I think one can give AI in a game like this.
- You can jump off ropes at any point, not just the top (as erroneously reported)

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :lol:

Oh boy, I'm not going to ban you just because you're so fucking hilarious :lol:

DraQ

Arcane

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :lol:

Oh boy, I'm not going to ban you just because you're so fucking hilarious :lol:
Still, maybe planting all the members of that mysterious newfangled, totally not affiliated with EM thiaf defense force would be in order?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom