Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Thiaf Pre-Release Thread

Diablo169

Arcane
I'm sure that Thief and the other LGS classics were products of hard and passionate work, but there's no need to be overly romantic about it - let's try to be realistic as well... I'm certain that the devs at EM are passionate about their games too and love their work, they're not only in it for the money as some people seem to believe.

I'm sure there are plenty of passionate and hard working people on the new Thief's development team. They have still created a shit game.

It's a bit annoying that some people get mad as soon as someone says anything that can be interpreted as something even slightly negative about LGS. Eidos are just people trying to make a living by delivering a bit of entertainment just like LGS was.
The devs at EM were in a very different position than LGS was back in the day, there's much more money involved in the new game and much more pressure on the devs. Of course it shows in the game, sadly. But just like the LGS team, the devs at EM are just regular guys with a great passion for gaming (would anyone become a game developer if they didn't love games?) and I'm sure that they were aiming to create the best game possible with the restraints that were given to them.To think that someone making a game, and not doing it the way you believe they should, is a personal affront - is just madness.
tomorrow i'll passionately grab a rifle and passionately shoot at people.
will you stand my cause? because i did it passionately and i'm worthy of your support nonetheless.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I love that someone thought it plausible that anyone would care enough about what the rpgcodex thinks about THI4F to register and make their first post here, deep into a subforum, not even on a newspost.
If you google "thiaf" this is the third result, at least for me. It is not inconceivable that some social media guru would think this is an influential place.

DraQ

Arcane
It's a bit annoying that some people get mad as soon as someone says anything that can be interpreted as something even slightly negative about LGS. Eidos are just people trying to make a living by delivering a bit of entertainment just like LGS was.
The devs at EM were in a very different position than LGS was back in the day, there's much more money involved in the new game and much more pressure on the devs. Of course it shows in the game, sadly. But just like the LGS team, the devs at EM are just regular guys with a great passion for gaming (would anyone become a game developer if they didn't love games?) and I'm sure that they were aiming to create the best game possible with the restraints that were given to them.To think that someone making a game, and not doing it the way you believe they should, is a personal affront - is just madness.
tomorrow i'll passionately grab a rifle and passionately shoot at people.
Understandable, given the state of gaming industry.
:martini:

MapMan

Arcane
To think that someone making a game, and not doing it the way you believe they should, is a personal affront - is just madness.

I'm sorry to break it to you, but that's exactly what happens in big companies like Eidos. Zero creative freedom, doing overtime - all the time, shitty salary, people fired after project completion and so on. Don't believe me? Just poke around some developer/modding communities and ask some people who had the chance to work at big companies. They don't do what they want to, they do what they're told to, which often contradicts with their vision and creative sense. That's why you see a lot of kickstarter project from professionals that come from big companies. I agree that people at Eidos aren't retards, many of them probably wanted to create a "true" thief game, but it doesn't work like that. What the developers want and need are not Eidos (as a company) concerns. Many "computer savvy" people (as in programmers, people who can do 2d and 3d art etc) consider working in a big development studio the worst career choice possible. Sad but true.

DraQ

Arcane
To think that someone making a game, and not doing it the way you believe they should, is a personal affront - is just madness.

I'm sorry to break it to you, but that's exactly what happens in big companies like Eidos. Zero creative freedom, doing overtime - all the time, shitty salary, people fired after project completion and so on. Don't believe me? Just poke around some developer/modding communities and ask some people who had the chance to work at big companies. They don't do what they want to, they do what they're told to, which often contradicts with their vision and creative sense. That's why you see a lot of kickstarter project from professionals that come from big companies. I agree that people at Eidos aren't retards, many of them probably wanted to create a "true" thief game, but it doesn't work like that. What the developers want and need are not Eidos (as a company) concerns. Many "computer savvy" people (as in programmers, people who can do 2d and 3d art etc) consider working in a big development studio the worst career choice possible. Sad but true.
Maybe they too should grab rifles and start shooting passionately?

I mean, I understand - it's their lives, survival instinct and so on, but given where they are and how much hope for improvement they can have, well, sometimes you just have to let it go, man.
:M

retardation

Learned

What I'm seeing in the game is not passion, please don't spread propaganda.

A passionate worker will try to improve on what others did. Thiaf is not an attempt at improvement, it's as dull as the first Assassin's Creed, but will not sell as well due to the fact certain elements are worse (platforming, design, story). But also, AC1 was passion. No, I don't have a right to write a review of the game after only having watched videos, but I saw a couple of missions on youtube and let me tell you, it's a good demonstration of gameplay. Whoever wants to lie themselves in order to justify the purchase, fine, but please don't tell me I'm unable to see if something is shit or not by watching 3 hours of gameplay.

I needed 10 seconds of gameplay from Thief 1 and Blood 1 to convince me to play them back in the day and one screenshot for Deus Ex 1.

Last edited:

7/10

Learned
The main problem with this game is, that it's called "Thief" and that this bald frenchie kept babbling about "franchise DNA" every chance he got. Saying, that sneaking past guards and stealing valuables is what makes Thief a unique game, is like making a Call of Duty clone and calling it Deus Ex, because both games allow you to shoot people with guns. If the game was called something else, this thread would be 10 pages, tops.

retardation

Learned
The main problem with this game is, that it's called "Thief" and that this bald frenchie kept babbling about "franchise DNA" every chance he got. Saying, that sneaking past guards and stealing valuables is what makes Thief a unique game, is like making a Call of Duty clone and calling it Deus Ex, because both games allow you to shoot people with guns. If the game was called something else, this thread would be 10 pages, tops.
Exactly, Thief was about exploration and mystery. It was an attempt to improve the gaming industry, and they did it.

no, that's not the problem.
would thiaf be a good game without comparing it to the previous thief games? no.
that's the problem.

Oesophagus

Arcane
Ok, so do hammers, pagans, or any interesting factions from the originals appear in this turd? I mean, even vague references, or is it grimdark bullshit all the way?

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Some references here and there, but nothing explicit, no, except a whole ruined Keeper compound under the cathouse that serves little to no purpose.

retardation

Learned
Just in case someone tries to spread propaganda before launch, here's the screenshot I took from youtube walkthrough:

thiafstealth.jpg

Diablo169

Arcane
They have still created a shit game.

Have you played it? No? Then you aren't in a position to judge it.

Why would I want to play it? That would involve paying for it or acquiring it illegally. The former is laughable and the later is a waste of time and bandwidth. It's 2014 and I can watch a stream or youtube videos of titles before i even contemplate getting them myself. I have seen enough gameplay now to judge that this game is simply awful.

Ok, so do hammers, pagans, or any interesting factions from the originals appear in this turd? I mean, even vague references, or is it grimdark bullshit all the way?

The Thief-Taker General taffed them all in the bum with his awesome hand crossbow that he loaned from the Diablo 3 set.

That's how I like to think of it at least; if something's gonna be shit you might as well make up an alternate reality where it's all done for a spoof. It preserves sanity.

Borelli

Arcane
Just in case someone tries to spread propaganda before launch, here's the screenshot I took from youtube walkthrough:

thiafstealth.jpg
Upgrades for upgrades sake ... such a useless feature hoping to scratch that "i'm getting more powerful" itch. Not the way Thief is made.
Oh well i guess it's an RPG now, i expect a Codex review on my desk next friday. :troll:

Last edited:

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
You guys make me sick. You can't criticize a game until you've already paid $60 and supported the developers.

That's a bit more accurate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom