Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thief fan missions and campaigns

Beastro

Arcane
A proper send off to the campaign before the final mission. Can't complain about anything. Even how the mission just kept going on, it didn't feel like it dragged, though the way the tomb area looked where the amulet was I dreaded at first that it was it's own sizeable area and was received to just grab the amulet and leave.

Loved the monster. I appreciated hid speech lines and how when he aggros things he says "HE led me to you!" anticipating you drawing him out of the lab to have some fun with. He killed a lot of guards and mages, but sadly got whittled down enough that he stopped fighting and started running from me. I finished him off then blackjacked the Arch Mage and dumped him next to the thing picturing what would happen to the jerk after he woke up and had to explain everything to the other mages.

Also blackjacked everyone at the beginning. Was nice seeing that rhey sneaked in some secret enemies with a mage that can fire spells at you and the fire eater that attacks if they get aggroed. Had to come out the canal on a rope arrow to blackjack the fire eater. He was the only issue that I had. After that it was fun times swinging like mad seeing bodies dropping all over.

Looks like some are meant to not depop afterwards and just go to their homes near the end of the mission. Found some bodies still KOed that have moved around. Also noticed most of these were ones that didn't ragdoll right.

So much to do in this mission and a few areas that were well made but had nothing of value in them. Think you're finishing up and realize the small castle still isn't done and spend another bit having fun there.

Only thing I can say is it's sad there's only the last mission left to go...

Group photo!

dump024.png

Beastro

Arcane
WTF the Level

I assume that was what they were aiming for, so they accomplished that. Problem is that the mission has so much space, and when you realize you're supposed to go upwards, there's no incentive to explore it.

Nonetheless it was interesting, especially the low level critters. I hate the blue worms though. I think I ran into a scripted one that runs down a tower staircase at you that I couldn't avoid and was a pain to kill. I had to go up because one of the yellow light spiders was dow stairs and wouldn't leave after killing a zombie. That took me a few tries.

The end area was a let down in that they just offer you the resolution. That annoys me more than it repeating the ending of T1.

As for the ending, I liked it. Hume isn't a decent guy and he wound up in a position given his way of life and he'd have died anyway had he survived given Viktoria prepositioning him about a sword. It ending that way was a nice change, especially because it respects the threat that is the Sentient. Unlike in most every other similar situation, everything it boasts about to you becomes true and the conclusion fits into how the Keepers work.

The only issue I have with the ending is that it would have worked better had Thief II Gold actually been made so we could've enjoyed the level that would have properly dealt with Azaran. Having him just wind up crazy and killing himself in Thief II as a comical bit is a letdown to how he was here. Garret stopping him in a mission where he's another threat would have blended in better.

Makes me wish people would mod in all the mission T2 missions.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I'm changing my play-style in Thief games and FMs to only allow myself to kill or club aggressors (overzealous guards, poison gas burping burricks, spiders, cray critters, evil dead, evil doers everywhere, and whatnot). No need to harm all those fancyboy male servants that run around yelling, "Help, Help, Heeeelp!" or the hysterical women screaming, "GUARDS! THERE'S A LADY-TAKER HERE!" Your guards won't help you now, lady, since they're all currently snoring in a pool of their own drool. Maybe I'll even be able to complete Emilie Victor using this approach.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
There's an FM out there called "The Acid Trip". It's a kinda of joke FM because it's meant to represent a fever dream Garrett is having. It's purposefully designed so that the only way to progress is to spot the one tiny flaw in an otherwise perfect patrol route of numerous Haunts stationed in a roundabout hallway. It's like trying to squeeze in between two spinning gears because one of the cogs is missing.

Obviously you have no sword for this one. It's the author's sole solution to the problem, or taff off.

Ever since I played that FM I have made sure that my blackjack is always within reach... or that I'm in the act of reaching it. An FM being that anal and not granting me any ways to deal with critters, better have a damn good reason for it.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Haplo is one of the best modders in multiple communities but he thinks so far outside the box sometimes that the rest of the room says, "Where's Haplo? We can't wait. Let's go to lunch."

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Not often I come across something like this.

"Colégio Nossa Senhora das Dores - The Game" (or "CNSD - The Game" for short, translates to "Our Lady of Sorrow College") is a 2018 FM (but started way back in 2006) where Garrett has retired from thieving and settled in suburban Brazil. His daughter is enrolled at the eponymous school, but one day she's late home from practice and no one at the school is answering the phone. Garrett, worried for his girl, gets in his Volkswagen Beetle and drives to the school to find some answers.

Don't worry, it only gets weirder from there.

This is one of those FMs that goes a long way towards not being a Thief-game at all, but being a similar game that relies upon the Dark Engine. You spend most of the time walking around the empty, but fully lit-up, four-story college + nearby grounds, looking for keys and an idea of what you're supposed to do here. Fortunately the FM has a walkthrough included, so no one should get stuck while playing this.

What will get most people stuck in regards to this FM is getting their hands on it. Until the start of this year, I didn't even know this FM existed, and the Thief-community seems very keen on keeping it that way, as the author withdrew the FM. But it was available for a brief time and I managed to snag a copy, so I figured I'd give it a go to show people whether they should play it.

I'm not sure if it's worth the bother. Architecturally it looks and feels like a real school, and the gameplay is tried to be squeezed into that, but it still leaves a long section of the FM wandering through long hallways and checking almost empty classrooms. It ticks off almost every horror cliché (including cheap jumpscares!) and has some bone-headed restrictions in place, like how items that are clearly frobbable aren't, because the player isn't at that place in the game yet to need them!

It does have one really cool new gadget - the pocket peephole! Just 'use' this on the lock of a door (which doors you can use it on are marked) and you can see what's beyond the door. Cool in practice, but not in execution as I could never see anything proper through the hole. It also has a really neat Easter Egg in the attic.

Since this is not a 'proper' Thief FM I won't rate it - but I can't exactly recommend it either, mainly because it's not in circulation.

Last edited:

Ialda

Learned
Hello fellow purloiners and pilferers, I wanted to ask you a question : should I play Autumn in Lampfire Hills original or remastered ? TG screenshot of the original seems to have more soul, but maybe the remastered version fixed some bugs or something... ?

(I'm a tourist who rediscovered Thied with TBP, and now I've fallen hard into the fms scene - after a very rigorous and ruthless selection process, I've come up with a list of 49 missions I want to play... going to be busy in the coming months ! Anyway, I wanted to say that I love what I've seen of the community here or on TTLG, and I hope you continue to be awesome for a long time :salute:)

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
The very first FM I ever played was the original "Autumn in Lampfire Hills", but even then I can't answer with certainty which version you should play.

So I dug up the readme for the Remastered version:

*Changes*
Added 32 bit lighting
Added colored lighting
Fixed tons of texture alignment issues
Fixed the physics dimensions of many objects (Beds, tables, trees, chairs, lampposts, etc.)
Added more appropriate material properties to many objects
Fixed the map so it displays properly
Added TONS of room brushes to fix sound propagation errors (e.g. hearing through walls)
Added EAX environmental audio settings to room brushes
Added Brushwork from "A meeting with Basso" to shared areas
Fixed a bug where you could lock the fireplace lever
Lots of other little nitpicky things and general polish
Improved candle flames
Improved sleeping AI responses
Lots of other little stuff

These changes were done by AntiMatter16, who's also 'remastered' the Original Missions to take better advantage of NewDark features.

Lampfire Hills is one of the oldest FMs ever made, so it's a given it should be full of problems. My suggestion would be to give the original a go, for that authentic "We're just scratching the surface of DromED"-feel. If you don't like it, the remastered version is always there.

Ialda

Learned
Lampfire Hills is one of the oldest FMs ever made, so it's a given it should be full of problems. My suggestion would be to give the original a go, for that authentic "We're just scratching the surface of DromED"-feel. If you don't like it, the remastered version is always there.
Okay, I would follow your suggestion then. Thanks a lot for your answer ! :)

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Just be certain to always thoroughly check out readmes and (preferably) forum/website information about patches or updates to specific titles, especially with very old FMs. A lot of files require "DML" fixes (though many are already included in the Thief 1/2 TFix & T2Fix patches) and a few scripts (luckily very few) to run properly. Here's something that you may find very useful in that area:

https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148090#t3a

Ialda

Learned
Just be certain to always thoroughly check out readmes and (preferably) forum/website information about patches or updates to specific titles, especially with very old FMs. A lot of files require "DML" fixes (though many are already included in the Thief 1/2 TFix & T2Fix patches) and a few scripts (luckily very few) to run properly. Here's something that you may find very useful in that area:

https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148090#t3a
Thanks a lot for the link ! Didn't know scripting could get that sensitive (I've been lucky with the fms I've played so far - apparently The Tower was bugged but luckily I kept the noble woman alive), thread looks like a goldmine.
...damn, now I have to check every mission I've downloaded against that list and get the relevant fixes.
...and now just imagining such a ressource eventually being lost gets me really anxious ahah.

Ialda

Learned
IIRC The TFix-patch implements many of these DML-fixes automatically.
Okay, got it ! I see that T2fix does it throught T2FMDML, while dml fixes seems to be core in TFix. Tested it with the fmsel version of Thief2X and according to AngelLoader fixes are installed. I need to remember running the patch everytime I install a new buggy FM, and to do the same test with TFix, now.
Again, thanks for the info !

None

Scholar
Finished Metal Age and The Black Plague. I think I can say I'm someone who prefers Metal Age over The Dark Project, at least from a gameplay perspective. Without getting into the details too much, it comes across as a more matured experience.

The Black Plague was superb. You know something is good when you're okay not exploring every nook and cranny because you know you'll be revisiting the game at some point in the future. I was already telling myself this by mission 2. The level geometry was spectacular, the visuals and audio crisp, and the whole experience was tight and I rarely felt anything was extraneous or out of place. My only complaint is the last mission. It was such a let down at the end. I think I reached Azaran in like 30 minutes. I can forgive any disappointing "boss fights" due to the nature of stealth games, but the entire experience was fairly linear and not in a good way. I think they could have added far more meat to the level in the form of extending the journey to the tower. Have us start by navigating through eldritch controlled territories, then through a small battlefield where they and Azaran's forces meet, and eventually through Azaran's tower. That or something else. I did not feel challenged at all during that mission, which made for a disappointing finale. It was still absolutely impressive. I'll be playing more fan missions soon, starting with Konjad's recommendations. Anyone got a download for Endless Rain by chance? The only links I've found are dead or Russian and require an account.

catfood

AGAIN
Well this was one level that I didn't like so much. It was ok but I found it to be mostly a linear dungeon romp. It had a few good moments, but overall I think this was the weakest one so far. Also I missed so much loot. Not sure, maybe I missed an entire area or something. There were a couple of places where I knew that there was a secret door but I just couldn't find a way to open it.

The best moment by far was when you exit the dungeon and go outside the forest to see that it is now morning. That was a very nice touch.

Screenshot-20240115-171603.png

Beastro

Arcane
So, I've got the itch (as I'd hoped playing BP would do) to finally do fan missions. I know this thread's probably already littered with recommendations, but I'm tired and looking for stuff to DL to play without much thought (need to relax with this semester pressing on me).

So.

What are some good, fun and relaxing fan missions that aren't too difficult/frustrating?

I'm not a Thief newbie and took to BP instantly. However, my only previous fan mission experience is playing T2X back when it first released, so I'm prepared for Thief, just not the extreme BS fan-mods of this type of game love to pack in.

I grabbed Endless Rain from Franks link abovr and assume Skaky missions are a good first place to look, but gimme some of your favs, guys.

Well this was one level that I didn't like so much. It was ok but I found it to be mostly a linear dungeon romp. It had a few good moments, but overall I think this was the weakest one so far. Also I missed so much loot. Not sure, maybe I missed an entire area or something. There were a couple of places where I knew that there was a secret door but I just couldn't find a way to open it.

The best moment by far was when you exit the dungeon and go outside the forest to see that it is now morning. That was a very nice touch.

Screenshot-20240115-171603.png
As I said in my review of that mission, it feels like they had a ton of left over ideas and shoved them together into one map.

Each section would have been neat on their own if expanded, but each area outside of the elemental one is too small.

It really makes me wish we could get a good forest level with a fort like in this map. A weakness of T2 is how the forest areas in it don't feel like forests, but forest themed corridors you're running through.

Last edited:

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
An Enigmatic Treasure with a Recondite Discovery by GORT

The first half of it is okay, it's a decent city mission with some warehouse content that gives similar vibes to Shipping and Receiving in T2. The creator certainly delved deep into the scripting side of things (assuming he created these unique things and didn't just source them from other FM creators and mash them all together), there's stuff like guards protected from blackjacking in T1 (done differently than in T2 from what I can tell) and T2 style flares in the form of a Flare Sack (shows as a sack in the inventory, when used it turns into some sort of elongated lantern), weird stuff like that. I have not played any of his other missions so I'm not sure of how common these sort of little hacks are within them.

Back to the mission though... the second half unfortunately contains some of the worst shit that you can find in a FM. A long section which includes forced ghosting, but not just that it's forced ghosting with a hackily-scripted weird counter to count how many times you/a body has been detected (third alert level I believe), which then has consequences on the rest of the mission. If you avoid getting caught altogether the escape to the back of the warehouse after you grab the scepter has less mages prowling about the streets. If you get caught between 1-4 times you are treated to some extra mages prowling about. If you get caught 5 times then you instantly fail the mission, and because it's counted in some weirdly scripted way it doesn't show in the objectives how many times you've been "caught", it'll show in small text on the screen whenever you trigger a third alert. I had multiple times where the counter would be adding extra counts to it, I'm guessing because the same body that was discovered by one guy was then discovered by another guy who was brought over by the first guy, it really does not work out very well.

I tried to do this section of the mission several times with only minimal saving (I like to play the avoidance game and use my tools and movement to deal with guards after being caught rather than saving/loading every 5 seconds) before dropping it for several months, only just now today coming back to it and going full savescum on it just to finish it, the place is absolutely filled with tile floors and guards/mages on both tiny patrols that mean you can barely squeeze in behind them to blackjack them and also long patrols (with illuminating swords/lamps) which means you can't hide any bodies near a patrol route even if they're in darkness, there is also a lack of dark shadows in general in the place which adds to the high difficulty. It is extremely frustratingly designed and was not very fun, but I'm an autist that forces myself to finish these things even when I don't enjoy them (I've made it through enough headache-inducing Zontik maps, no real reason to give up on a hurdle like this).

If the forced ghosting element was dropped from this mission I'd probably give it like a 3.5/5, but with the forced ghosting for half of the level it quickly drops down to a 2. I've still played worse.

Denim Destroyer

Learned
GORT is the only fan mission author who I avoid at all cost. All of his levels I have played, "An Enigmatic Treasure With A Recondite Discover" being the first, have been chock full of intentionally frustrating design and hacked together scripts which break if you so as much look at them wrong. The only way I could be farther away from GORT's target demographic is if I left this very planet.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Lord G by Marzec

It's a fan mission that feels like it's straight out of the year 2000. Crude looking architecture, some key hunting (and for that matter some locked door hunting too), mandatory secret hunting for a tiny hidden switch in the corner of a dark room (god help me bros I thought we were past this, this mission is only from the 2018 anniversary contest), light/shadows not set up particularly well, air/sound boxes not set up properly in some areas, open spaces are too large and empty, an extremely high loot requirement on Expert (I think it's something like 98% required to finish, had to check the ttlg thread for a bit of help finding some straggler loot), the end of the map teleports you back to The City before the mission finishes, problem is that you can actually get here even if you don't meet the loot requirement, and there's no way back, so you are forced to reload a savegame if you want to go back and meet the loot requirement to finish the mission legitimately.

The little cutscene part was mildly entertaining. A 2/5 for entirely different reasons to GORT's mission above, interestingly enough. I've still played worse though.

Nightwalk by Pookaball

Made for the One Million Units Contest in 2021 so it's a pretty compact little slice of city streets house robbery. Utterly unremarkable but it was enjoyable and not frustrating which is more than can be said for some others, if nothing else it was probably good practice for the author (who seems to have only made this FM) and he could end up making something more complex at some point. 2.5/5 for being as mid as mid can be, but it only took 10 minutes so if you're looking for a lunch break FM then have at it.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I have not played any of his other missions so I'm not sure of how common these sort of little hacks are within them.
Denim Destroyer is not talking out of his arse here. GORT is legendary for the type of FMs he makes.

If you can get into the swing of his designs, then "Rebellion of the Builder" (2006) might be worth a look, simply for the sheer number of interesting ideas it introduces.

Doors which kill upon frobbing
Vague directions on how to progress (2nd mission)
Guns!
Mechs so highly-strung they can detect Garrett in all but the most stealthy of environments
Forcing Garrett to sneak past such a Mech in a tight corridor
Highly cinematic in-game scenes starring Garrett and the Trickster

His most palatable FM is probably "Unknown Treasure", where you only have to contend with a forced ghosting section and alert critters spawned in behind you.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
The first FM of 2024 has dropped.

"The Stone of Alarus" is a classic take on Thief, right to the tiniest detail. The Hammerites have restored Soulforge to its former glory, and have uncovered the catacombs below. Garrett overhears some thieves talking about a valuable gemstone hidden there, so he must hurry to snatch it before they do.

Translation: This is "Undercover" and "Down in the Bonehoard"-OMs fused together. That means Garrett is undercover while inside the cathedral, which might explain why the Hammerites are so slow to react. Note that novices is not allowed to be outside the cathedral at night, so care must be taken there. To get into the catacombs a lever must be pulled in the High Priest's quarters, but since other objectives lead there it's not a bother.

The area below the cathedral is basically a Bonehoard rip-off, complete with cylindrical chambers with angular platforms leading off into all directions, Undeads-a-marching, and some traps and riddles thrown in for good measure.

This FM doesn't do anything wrong, but it also plays it safe by not overreaching itself either. It feels very much like one of the OM-missions. The only nitpick is the loot objective - it's actually quite hard to reach it, especially on Expert.

Rating: 8.5/10.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Played a bunch recently.

Into The Odd
Amazing mission, I had heard a lot of hype around it but hadn't had the chance to play it yet. The complex maze of industrial machinery that lives just below the city streets and sewer systems is already pretty interesting and then you get to the fantastic and impressively unique spooky shrine below even that. Climbing up and down through these areas back to the city above was really immersive. The least interesting part of the mission for me was the actual manor location with the main objective, funnily enough, but none of this mission was bad by any stretch of the imagination.

T2X: Shadows of the Metal Age
Replayed it for the first time in about 15 years or something. I felt like I needed to refresh my opinion of it since it was the very first FM I ever played.
The level design is complex for the limitations of the non-NewDark Thief 2 engine, very high quality for the time and it does look very good by those standards. The level list has some real standouts in it. In particular Down Among Dead Men (the crypt robbing mission), The Cure (the sealed quarter hospital mission), the train segment of the Shadowing the Enemy is very unique (would have been preferred if it was extended and was made to be the entire mission) and A Question of Knowledge (Hammerite cathedral mission), of Ill Repute (Brothel Mission) and The Grand Hotel are all pretty good human-enemy missions, despite being a bit light on difficulty overall and lacking in real practical uses for the wealth of items you are offered the campaign as a whole is quite fun and definitely worth playing.

I liked the inclusion of the new arrow types, in particular the Ice Arrow for Majora's Mask-style ice platform freezing and platforming across water, that is a great idea for an addition to the Thief imsim formula, adds some potential to level design that can be taken advantage of in more different ways, I would love to see this Ice Arrow mechanic in some new FMs. Unfortunately in T2X it doesn't really do much with the levels to truly take advantage of the new arrow types and the potential they have to impact the game. Would have been much better for higher difficulty missions with more routes through them to have these extra arrow type options open to the player. Items-wise I think the levels are severely undertuned in difficulty (there is an overabundance of resources mostly), and the shop items selection is pretty damn weird (sometimes you'll be offered some absolutely useless items for what kind of mission you're on, water arrows on a map which has no torches worth dousing or something). You end every level with mountains of items you'll never use and the shops offer mountains of items you'll never use too.

The voice acting, characters, story and writing is all pretty much absolute garbage. Wow it's bad. Nothing about this fits Thief at all. A lot worse than I remembered it being but I was in my teens and had much less of an eye for quality in fan/indie projects back when I first played it, maybe I just memory holed it entirely because really all I did remember about T2X after this long was some of the levels.

Shadow of Doubt
Yes... I replayed it, there's something to be said for conquering some Thief PTSD and returning to something you know gave you a headache on your first time through it. After T2X's lack of difficulty I was really wondering if I should give Shadow of Doubt a retry, especially since I know that Schlock (whose missions I like) in particular has a fondness for Sperry's style. I applied some patches for some of the missions so they would work on NewDark and played through the entire thing on Expert (no kills allowed unless stated and no blackjack given, often forced ghosting as an objective forcing a reload) in one long ass 7 hour session. The first mission (Walking the Edge) still bugged out on me entirely and I was unable to finish it legitimately (objectives failed to update somewhere halfway through the mission so when the Hammers ambushed me in the streets the mission wouldn't end despite me having done what I know to be the objective), the embassy building on that level is extremely difficult to do without a blackjack and without alerting 20 guards and escaping. I ended up force-ending this mission since I'm 99% sure I actually did complete what the objectives would have been were they to update. Tears of Blood was okay aside from my general dislike for forced ghosting, it still has far far too many keys even though half of them aren't needed to finish the mission (there's something like 15 or so unique keys you have to cycle through). All Astir is very low detail and again very hard without a blackjack, making your way to the deck of the ship without having a pack of guards chasing you can take a little effort. Broadsword of Sheol is everyone's favorite one from this campaign and while I do like the atmosphere it sets up I'm still miffed about the brazier pressure plates to open that one door, along with some of the savescummy platforming required.

And then we get to Nightcrawler, where the entire campaign which is coasting along on an "okay" and sometimes even a "this is good/interesting" rating decides to shit its diaper and fall down the stairs. Nightcrawler is a fucking mess. It includes a billion keys forcing linear progression, some adventure-game tier puzzles that you are forced to engage with, forced ghosting on Expert so a lot of waiting around for guards to pass so you can go back and forth through this place and on top of all of that there's also an intentional softlock placed in the map where you can fall into the underground water reservoir and not be able to get out, so if you saved in that seemingly open area that doesn't lead anywhere (until later) you are stuck and forced to reload an earlier save or restart the mission entirely - now, I didn't get caught out by this one this time, because I already got caught by it last time and I remembered to make hard saves every five minutes, but it might be the biggest sin of all in this map. It's really impressive how Shadow of Doubt can take such a hard nosedive in quality right at the end. I also played the bonus mission included (Tuttocomb's Tomb) and it was mostly fine, it had a bit of an obscure puzzle with dousing a specific torch with a water arrow to access a necessary objective but it's nothing compared to Nightcrawler's jank, though I savescummed a lot on this level because it was really hard and I wanted to make the most of my gas mines (no blackjack, of course).

Ascend the Dim Valley
Lovely breath of fresh air. From the title you can probably guess that it's very vertical, which it is. I really liked navigating this mission though I don't have much to gush about for it. It looks very unique, is cool and it plays well despite the unique layout which has likely never been attempted in such a way before.

Brainchild
Another Sperry mission, after Shadow of Doubt I figured I may as well... This one is a sci-fi sort of thing in a giant industrial maze spaceship sort of thing? I don't know the deep lore but the concept itself is fascinating. It's full of long cramped hallways, pipes, jumping puzzles and the occasional respite in an open space. There are almost no enemies here and it's 90% exploration and finding your way out of this place (unfortunately via a bit of a keyhunt, I would have preferred more platforming). Going to go out on a limb here and say this mission itself lent a hand in inspiring the mechanical underground areas of Into The Odd, since I already know Schlock likes Sperry's stuff.

Shadow Play
A fairly standard mansion heist, did not take very long to beat and it was not very difficult but it is definitely nicely made. It's certainly not as impressive as some of Schlock's other missions but I still liked it.

In & Out
A fun romp. The mission has pretty much everything and I had to laugh at parts of it here and there. Very large and very fun to explore and it packs a campaign's worth of level variety into one mission. Good shit.

I've learned that it's a lot easier to get wordy about shit I don't like in a mission than things I do like. It feels like my praise for some of the things I enjoy in Fan Missions is just a couple of fleeting compliments and then when something makes me start malding I'll type an essay about it. It's also sad that the most memorable FMs for me are the ones I hated actually playing at the time. I still remembered the key hunting AIDS from Tears of Blood and Nightcrawler like it was yesterday, I was wise to Sperry's tricks upon revisiting that campaign because I was so sour on it before, but if you asked me what my favorite part of Endless Rain or whatever was I wouldn't be able to tell you aside from remembering that I liked playing it and that it's the quintessential atmospheric big open city level by Skacky.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom