Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Things you are looking foward to, in Oblivion.

Stargazey

Novice
In an effort to counter out all the Oblivion loathing, I thought I'd start a topic about things people are actually looking foward to in the game ...

For me, it's going to a new province, and the new lore.

So, is there something, if anything, that you're looking foward to, about Oblivion?

HardCode

Erudite
Leave the moron threads for the Official Forums. Maybe if you stated what you are looking forward to, AND how that makes a better RPG experience in Oblivion, this piece of shit thread would be worth something.

Next, I bet you start a "Waht race r you gonna chooose?" thread.

Data4

Arcane
Ooh... a messiah has come to bring balance to the force. Innnteresting.

I like the "Draw ur Oblivon Charcter!!111" posts. I always imagine a room full of drooling retards, an endless supply of crayons and construction paper, and an overseer with a cattle prod pacing around to keep their autism in check.

-D4

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Stargazey said:
In an effort to counter out all the Oblivion loathing, I thought I'd start a topic about things people are actually looking foward to in the game ...

For me, it's going to a new province, and the new lore.

So, is there something, if anything, that you're looking foward to, about Oblivion?
Priceless.

So you come here to prove to us that there is something decent in Oblivion, and all you have to say is a new province (which is meaningless) and the lore? You are doing great so far, I feel that my doubts are disappearing as I type.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
The AI may be something to look forward to in Oblivion. Depends on how overhyped it has been or whether the reports of it actually are accurate. Not certain how much difference it will make to how the game plays from what we've seen before, but I'm open to persuasion.

Apart from that, not a lot to be honest. It takes a little more than shiny graphics to make me get a hard-on about a game. Will the quests go beyond cookie-cutter fed-ex? Will there be meaningful choices to make? Strangely, very little has been said about the things which add the roleplay to a roleplaying game.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
The lack of spears. They're so useless and uncool. I hate walking about seeing people with these disgusting peasant weapons. Real adventurers use 10 foot broadswords with one hand while they use the other to pinch the nipples of their hot lizard girlfriend.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
I'm looking forward to...

• The never ending torrent of anti-Oblivion news posts :

Usually "See, we told you it was crap!"
    Or "These retards like the game! Hurr hurr, I called them retards"
  • Yet another influx of Oblivion fanboi shock-troopers:

"Yur site suxors!"
    "Patrick Steawrt fo teh win!!"
    "I wann fyuck Argonian queef-monsters"
  • The announcement of the next TES game:

"It will be even more ubar! Ubar gfx = ubar gameplay!!"

"Look at the DirectX 12 Super Hyper Insta Tech (tm) pixels on those Argonian titties wobble!"

"OMFG! We're using Patrick Stewart!!"

"To improve gameplay we're consolidating all skills into one skill called 'Skill'. It's what the fans want. No longer will they have to improve all those pesky sundry things. It worked for Steve Jackson and Ian Livingston, and they're ubar"

"All non-combat oriented spells are gone. People really like rocket launchers, so we're concentrating on that. We might even fit in some Strogg somewhere if you're lucky."

etc etc etc

Anyway, that's what I'm looking forward to.
Oh, you mean the actual game? :?

vazquez595654

Arbiter
I am looking forward to ass erosion. So when you kick someone in the ass, their ass crumbles to the ground with realistic ass eroding physics.

galsiah

Erudite
Rather than curse the darkness, I'm going to concentrate on cursing the lack of good matches.
[Warning - possible optimism / hope]
I hope there are good matches.
[End optimism]

I'm not paying £50 for matches though.

pantheon

Novice
This from a quote by Dresslock, who wrote the Oblivion article in PC Gamer after playing the game for 8 hours:

Quote from http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk ... 11&page=10

Originally Posted by Dhruin
Did you get much of a feel for the quality of dialogue and some of the NPC personalities, Desslock? I admit I'm not the biggest fan of Morrowind but I don't remember a single NPC from the game.

Answer
I think this is, by far, the biggest change from Morrowind to Oblivion -- in Morrowind there are essentially no personalities, and no memorable characters (other than maybe Vivec, and he doesn't do much, and a few others associated with quests).

In Oblivion there's a few huge changes:
- the AI gives chararacters effectively "personalities", derived from their inclinations. It's just kind of cool to meet, for instance, a ranger in the wood, and see him hanging out at home, practising (and getting better) at marksmanship, making dinner, attacking creatures that come nearby, going to visit a neighbour - my column in the next PCG is largely on this topic;

- even aside from the dynamic AI behaviour, there's a lot of stuff semi-scripted in -- for instance, NPCs will run into each other and have very lengthy, meaningful conversations -- it's not just background noise stuff like they did (to decent effect) in the Gothic series -- for instance, in the assassin's guild, you could overhear one NPC telling another about his last job and the things that went wrong. I encountered a lot of those, and the best thing about them was, I didn't hear a lot (any?) redundancy -- I think there's essentially a pool of conversations for major characters that can pop up, as well as conversations that specifically relate to events that have occurred in the game, which seems really cool. There seems to be a LOT of this stuff.

Levski 1912

Scholar
Punching that prick Patrick Steward for wasting Bethesda's resources.

Oh wait, another feature taken out. Nevermind, then.

obediah

Erudite
Here's what I'm looking forward to in Oblivion - in no particular order.

A wide variety of character builds with extremely different combat and aventuring strengths and weaknesses.

Getting lost in a huge branching serpentine dungeon.

Stumbling upon "oh wow, I haven't seen that before" content in dungeons and unexplored corners of the realm.

A magic system that truly allows the amazing rather than the standard MMORPG spell selection.

A few of those 'oh fuck' moments when I open a door I reallly shouldn't have.

A faction/renown system that lets me become the hero everyone adores, the tyrant everyone fears, or the shadow that people whisper about but no one would recognize.

A wide selection of intersting, novel quests that offer complete freedom with real, significant, and varied consequences.

Amazing NPC AI that results in true emergent gameplay I'm no longer the only force in the world, and things will be different every play through. I can't wait to see how this interacts with the quest system.

Seemless integration into the lore of the previous games with tons of new content to keep us amazed and scratching our heads.

A dialogue system that shows just how constraining and unsatisfying every exsisting system is.

A bug free gaming experience!

Loads of mods that make the morrowind mods look like texture packs. And since the game will be teh win right away, modders can get started right away on new content without wasting years fixing the game.

Guys, I'm really stoked about this one!

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I'm looking forward to playing a mod that will let me rape the cute looking deer I've seen in one of the previews.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
pantheon said:
This from a quote by Dresslock, who wrote the Oblivion article in PC Gamer after playing the game for 8 hours:

Quote from http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk ... 11&page=10

Originally Posted by Dhruin
Did you get much of a feel for the quality of dialogue and some of the NPC personalities, Desslock? I admit I'm not the biggest fan of Morrowind but I don't remember a single NPC from the game.

Answer
I think this is, by far, the biggest change from Morrowind to Oblivion -- in Morrowind there are essentially no personalities, and no memorable characters (other than maybe Vivec, and he doesn't do much, and a few others associated with quests).

In Oblivion there's a few huge changes:
- the AI gives chararacters effectively "personalities", derived from their inclinations. It's just kind of cool to meet, for instance, a ranger in the wood, and see him hanging out at home, practising (and getting better) at marksmanship, making dinner, attacking creatures that come nearby, going to visit a neighbour - my column in the next PCG is largely on this topic;

- even aside from the dynamic AI behaviour, there's a lot of stuff semi-scripted in -- for instance, NPCs will run into each other and have very lengthy, meaningful conversations -- it's not just background noise stuff like they did (to decent effect) in the Gothic series -- for instance, in the assassin's guild, you could overhear one NPC telling another about his last job and the things that went wrong. I encountered a lot of those, and the best thing about them was, I didn't hear a lot (any?) redundancy -- I think there's essentially a pool of conversations for major characters that can pop up, as well as conversations that specifically relate to events that have occurred in the game, which seems really cool. There seems to be a LOT of this stuff.
Did anybody else see how he didn't answer the question?

Question: So is the dialogue any good?

Answer: Well there's the AI which makes Wood Elves attack Dears and there's these scripted conversations you can overhear.

Given what I most enjoyed about Morrowind was wandering around looking at the pretty scenery and collecting pretty items and given that Oblivion has less pretty items than Morrowind and that the pretty scenery is going to look fugly on my machine, I'd have to say I'm most looking forward to the mods.

Excalibur

Liturgist
oh shut up people, your all hyprocrits!

Hey we resent they have consoled are little gem, but you know you will get it anyways, if not officaly then unofiicially (pirated)... and if you even deny that, your fucking full of shit.

Jason

chasing a bee
I'm full of Cheetos.

What I'm most looking forward to are the Dark Brotherhood quests. It might be interesting to see how much of an impact Emil The Thief Guy had on their design.

Sabregirl

Scholar
I'm looking forward to . . . um primarily mods, the original game is still mildly interesting. I can't say I would mind *fun* combat. But the mods . . . Werewolves go to Oblivion . . . :twisted: The construction set in general so I and everyone else can fix/put stuff back. A pretty place to explore is nice. A new engine that I'm not tired of fighting. I really hope it won't present a bunch of new problems though, I'm already ticked off about having to mod levitation back in. Still there's that glimmer of hope that the function will be in the CS or it will be very easy to mod in. Then I can get to building stuff . . . :)

-S

Shagnak

Shagadelic
baby arm said:
What I'm most looking forward to are the Dark Brotherhood quests. It might be interesting to see how much of an impact Emil The Thief Guy had on their design.
Ditto.
The thiefy stuff currently holds the most interest for me. Hopefully all the info from that interview with "The Thief Guy" a while back was the real deal.

Edit:
I think I'm referring to the interview at evil avatar
http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1356

Zomg

Arbiter
The platinum edition with all nine expansions and all the pay content on a Blu Ray for $9.99 in four years.

Fresh

Erudite
... continued

Hawt minotauran girlfriends with tight vaginas.

Hawt khajit girlfriends with tight vaginas.

It'll be just like in GTA:SA. I'll take my girlfriends with me on my horse to various restaurants, until they invites me in for hot coffee. Rollplaying is great!

Human Shield

Augur
Well I think it will be an okay FPS game. Dungeons will probably get boring after a while and skills will be less interesting then Deus Ex or System Shock 2 but with mods it mite get close enough to them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom