Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Things you are looking foward to, in Oblivion.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Well, personally I'm all for "balanced" and "middleground" in games journalism. Though I really get a hard-on for "objective". Too bad most gaming magazines and sites fall into the extremes of either hype or scepticism.

Oh, and this is nothing new. I've been playing games and reading magazines since the 80's. Only difference between now and then is the easy mass availibility of info on the web and that most games aren't as innovative as then. Magazines back then were as biased as the gaming media now.

Stargazey

Novice
Vault Dweller said:
Stargazey said:
In an effort to counter out all the Oblivion loathing, I thought I'd start a topic about things people are actually looking foward to in the game ...

For me, it's going to a new province, and the new lore.

So, is there something, if anything, that you're looking foward to, about Oblivion?
Priceless.

So you come here to prove to us that there is something decent in Oblivion, and all you have to say is a new province (which is meaningless) and the lore? You are doing great so far, I feel that my doubts are disappearing as I type.

Hmm, should've worded my post better. I meant, the new province would bring new lore to the already vast ES lore database. That's perhaps one of my favorite things of the ES series that most other series lack: history. ES lore has always been something interesting to look foward to in each game. But, if those aren't viable things to look foward to, for you, whatever.

Tintin

Arbiter
He didn't though. He talked about a Ranger hunting Dear (nothing to do with the quality of the dialogue) and scripted conversations you can listen in to (but fails to mention anything about the actual quality of what they're saying or how memorable it was or if they had personality).

You cut out the fact that the question also went on to talk about how Morrowind's NPCs sucked and weren't memorable. Read the whole sentence, the emphasis is clearly on NPCs being memorable. And he answered that question. His answer was about how NPCs were memorable.

"Did you get much of a feel for the quality of dialogue and some of the NPC personalities, Desslock? I admit I'm not the biggest fan of Morrowind but I don't remember a single NPC from the game."

And the answer goes on about whether NPCs were memorable.

HardCode

Erudite
Nah, the interviewer's point about Morrowind NPCs sucking was as a point of reference to whether or not the quality improved for PC-to-NPC interaction. The question was quite dodged.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
It wasn't dodged. Obviously two NPCs sharing a stock conversation makes them memorable and does improve on PC-NPC interaction. You don't even have to talk to them to get the quests now. Less reading. More killing. Happy, happy, happy, joy, joy, joy.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Maybe it was half dodged :lol:
(i.e. nothing specifically about dialogue quality, but some stuff about NPC memorabilty)

Edit:
which is what DU was saying I guess:
See how that question has two parts and that the second part has the word "some", yet the answer is all only loosely based around the second part

HardCode

Erudite
I actually like the idea of getting quests from overhearing conversation. It's just that when he answered the question, it contained no direct information about him enacting a dialog with an NPC, unless I was misreading it.

pantheon

Novice
There were other responses from Dresslock that alluded to better dialogue- some mentioned in this thread, however I agree with Hardcode, there has been nothing specific stated about branching dialogue and impact on the world.

In response to another dialogue question Dresslock said it was the same as other rpg's or something similar - too lazy to find the quote.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
HardCode said:
I actually like the idea of getting quests from overhearing conversation.
It's only natural if it is an ocasional or opportunistic (e.g. like in the Thief games) thing.
If it is a matter of course, it becomes a farce.

"Hmm...need a quest. I'll just stand by them fellers over there and listen like I did for the last three quests."

PS I'm not saying it will be like that. :wink:

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
HardCode said:
I actually like the idea of getting quests from overhearing conversation. It's just that when he answered the question, it contained no direct information about him enacting a dialog with an NPC, unless I was misreading it.

Sorry, I had my tongue firmly planted in my cheek. I agree with your reading of the question. It wasn't answered. Even the part about memorable NPCs wasn't answered.

I've got no problems with overhearing conversations and getting quests that way (I can think of several ways in which this could be used to be a massive positive). It was just the tone of the questions/replies jarred a little.

Havocks physics- OK, I am a physics whore. I'm sorry, but I love it. Especialy with all the clutter bethsada is known for, I think I'll have a good thing.

RAI- At first I was a bit sceptical, but after reading the PC gamer hands on feature I think that it will be quite fun.

Stealth- Finaly! Light based stealth in an RPG. Glad it's in.

Exploration- Always fun in an RPG, especialy in TES.

tesfanboy

Novice
Mefi said:
It wasn't dodged. Obviously two NPCs sharing a stock conversation makes them memorable and does improve on PC-NPC interaction. You don't even have to talk to them to get the quests now. Less reading. More killing. Happy, happy, happy, joy, joy, joy.
there isnt any reading the whole game is voiced

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
TESfanboy said:
Mefi said:
there isnt any reading the whole game is voiced
A joy for someone like you, no doubt.

Tarnarious

Novice
Vault Dweller said:
Stargazey said:
In an effort to counter out all the Oblivion loathing, I thought I'd start a topic about things people are actually looking foward to in the game ...

For me, it's going to a new province, and the new lore.

So, is there something, if anything, that you're looking foward to, about Oblivion?
Priceless.

So you come here to prove to us that there is something decent in Oblivion, and all you have to say is a new province (which is meaningless) and the lore? You are doing great so far, I feel that my doubts are disappearing as I type.

If Lore, and a new area of an imaginary world mean nothing to you, maybe you should be over in FPS Codex? Just a thought, since you obviously don't know the first fucken thing about roleplaying.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Enlighten me. What's role-playing got to do with a huge imaginary world?

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Yeah stupid Venereal Disease, roleplaying is finding the 4 pieces of the <s>staff</s> rocket launcher so you can get the Munchkin's Sword of +99 to-hit% so that you can kill the level 55 golden dragon to get his amulet of +45% fire resistance. Don't you know anything?

Tarnarious

Novice
Vault Dweller said:
Enlighten me. What's role-playing got to do with a huge imaginary world?

What doesn't it, I guess you could role-play in your real-life bathroom, but that wouldn't be much fun now would it, or would it?

Don't answer that.

Setting makes a huge difference in roleplaying.

Micmu

Magister
Oh no, another one of these, "THEY ALL have something negative on MY game* they HATE ALL RPGs." :lol:

--
* - possibly one or maybe, maybe two.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom