Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Things you are looking foward to, in Oblivion.

Balor

Arcane
What is the nature of your criticism exactly smartass.
Just a thought, since you obviously don't know the first fucken thing about roleplaying.

"Whoever battles monsters should take care not to become a monster too, for if you stare long enough into the Abyss, the Abyss stares also into you."
Welcome to the Codex, Tarnarious!

Tarnarious

Novice
micmu said:
Oh no, another one of these, "THEY ALL have something negative on MY game* they HATE ALL RPGs." :lol:

--
* - possibly one or maybe, maybe two.

Oh you mean instead of being sarcastic pricks that don't pay attention to a word someone says, only the next high they get from patting themselves on the back, or high fiving their imaginary friend after that next snazzy comeback?

Tarnarious

Novice
Balor said:
What is the nature of your criticism exactly smartass.
Just a thought, since you obviously don't know the first fucken thing about roleplaying.

"Whoever battles monsters should take care not to become a monster too, for if you stare long enough into the Abyss, the Abyss stares also into you."
Welcome to the Codex, Tarnarious!

Thank you, nice to be here.

tesfanboy

Novice
Tarnarious said:
micmu said:
Oh no, another one of these, "THEY ALL have something negative on MY game* they HATE ALL RPGs." :lol:

--

Oh you mean instead of being sarcastic pricks that don't pay attention to a word someone says, only the next high they get from patting themselves on the back, or high fiving their imaginary friend after that next snazzy comeback?
its funny because they're nerds

Tarnarious

Novice
TESfanboy said:
Tarnarious said:
micmu said:

--

its funny because they're nerds

I wouldn't be calling them nerds bro... *clears throat*

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tarnarious said:
Setting makes a huge difference in roleplaying.
Really? I played crappy role-playing games in good settings (Lionheart, KOTOR) and good role-playing games in crappy settings (Bloodlines, Dungeon Master).

A good setting is a plus, but no more than that.

Tarnarious

Novice
Vault Dweller said:
Tarnarious said:
Really? I played crappy role-playing games in good settings (Lionheart, KOTOR) and good role-playing games in crappy settings (Bloodlines, Dungeon Master).

So if a setting is of a particular personal preference to someone, them listing that as a plus in their arguments means squat, you have enlightened me.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Tarnarious said:
Vault Dweller said:
Tarnarious said:

So if a setting is of a particular personal preference to someone, them listing that as a plus in their arguments means squat, you have enlightened me.

That a setting is of particular preference to someone doesn't mean it matters when it comes to roleplaying.

Tarnarious

Novice
Role-Player said:
Tarnarious said:
Vault Dweller said:
Tarnarious said:

That a setting is of particular preference to someone doesn't mean it matters when it comes to roleplaying.

Ahhhh, but that it does. Immersion my friend. It becomes easier to immerse yourself in something that you take particular interest in than a world that does not suit your tastes.

Lore also helps with immersion. If you take a particular interest in role-playing a certain character in a certain world, learning all about that world is what Lore is about.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Tarnarious said:
Vault Dweller said:
Tarnarious said:

You didn't list it as a "plus", you said "setting makes a huge difference in roleplaying", which it doesn't.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Tarnarious said:
Role-Player said:
Tarnarious said:
Vault Dweller said:
Tarnarious said:

Ahhhh, but that it does. Immersion my friend. It becomes easier to immerse yourself in something that you take particular interest in than a world that does not suit your tastes.
Who cares about immersion if a game doesn't offer you any role-playing elements?

Tarnarious

Novice
Vault Dweller said:
Tarnarious said:
Vault Dweller said:
Tarnarious said:

You didn't list it as a "plus", you said "setting makes a huge difference in roleplaying", which it doesn't.

I give you the point and you get into Semantics. You really are a basturd.

=p

No, I didn't list it as a plus, the original poster did.

Balor

Arcane
Well, in fact, there are very immersing games - like Resident Evil.
Are they good RPGs?

Tarnarious

Novice
Vault Dweller said:
Tarnarious said:
Role-Player said:
Tarnarious said:
Vault Dweller said:
Tarnarious said:

Who cares about immersion if a game doesn't offer you any role-playing elements?

Such as being able to role-play any of a number of classes in any way you see fit. With open ended game-play and the ability to make your choices that do not affect the end-game either negatively or positively? You mean like that kind of immersion?

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Tarnarious said:
Ahhhh, but that it does.

No, your preferences or anyone else's are just that, preferences. They don't dictate the underlying importance of any given element in a game. In the same way, just because someone likes exploring any given gameworld doesn't mean exploration in the game is good or that it matters to the game, it may even be a poor designed feature.

Immersion my friend. It becomes easier to immerse yourself in something that you take particular interest in than a world that does not suit your tastes.

Immersion is not the same as roleplaying. You can feel immersed in a gameworld without so much as roleplaying one bit, and can roleplay many different character types without feeling particularly immersed by the game. It is possible for one to immerse himrself in a gameworld which he doesn't like, provided the gameworld is well developed and consistent. On the other hand, simply because I like a gameworld or setting doesn't mean it's well developed enough for me to even feel immersed.

Tarnarious

Novice
Balor said:
Well, in fact, there are very immersing games - like Resident Evil.
Are they good RPGs?

Nobody ever said Resident Evil was a roleplaying game. Just because immersion is an important factor to some people depending on their role-playing style doesn't make it universally exclusive to one genre of games.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
Great Lore - Lord of the Rings.

Great roleplaying game based on Lord of the Rings - erm, erm, erm, erm.....

Immersion is a factor in any game. Not just roleplaying games. Immersion in a roleplaying game does not make it a good roleplaying game.

If you like immersion in lore so much, I really would recommend those Tolkien books and there's a good thread on more books to read on the general forum.

Tarnarious

Novice
Role-Player said:
Tarnarious said:
Ahhhh, but that it does.

No, your preferences or anyone else's are just that, preferences. They don't dictate the underlying importance of any given element in a game. In the same way, just because someone likes exploring any given gameworld doesn't mean exploration in the game is good or that it matters to the game, it may even be a poor designed feature.

Immersion is not the same as roleplaying. You can feel immersed in a gameworld without so much as roleplaying one bit, and can roleplay many different character types without feeling particularly immersed by the game. It is possible for one to immerse himrself in a gameworld which he doesn't like, provided the gameworld is well developed and consistent. On the other hand, simply because I like a gameworld or setting doesn't mean it's well developed enough for me to even feel immersed.

You're putting words in my mouth too I see. Any ways, have fun fuckers, I'm off for the evening. Maybe I'll come provide more entertainment another night.

Happy role-playing to you all, or the lack thereof as it may be.

Levski 1912

Scholar
One mistake- no consequences is exactly what goes again RPG convention. You can't just whatever you want to do without consequences, it breaks your apparently beloved immersion after all...

Vault Dweller

Developer
Tarnarious said:
Such as being able to role-play any of a number of classes in any way you see fit.
Really? That's awesome! Can I climb walls as a thief, levitate over everything as a mage, learn languages to handle creatures without combat as an explorer? These are all Daggerfall options, btw. Any way you see fit, my ass.

With open ended game-play and the ability to make your choices that do not affect the end-game either negatively or positively?
Yes, cosmetic choices that don't affect anything are the best. I love you, Bethesda! Let's make one of those "what we are thankful for" threads.

Drain

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
Tarnarious said:
Such as being able to role-play any of a number of classes in any way you see fit.
Really? That's awesome! Can I climb walls as a thief, levitate over everything as a mage, learn languages to handle creatures without combat as an explorer?

No, but you can run around and kill things with a sword, with magic, or with stealth

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom