Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News This is About Right and Wrong: The Chris Avellone Saga Continues

Repressed Homosexual
I read his Medium article. My head started spinning more and more as the petty relationship drama unfolded.

My view is that if you get involved in the gaming industry, if you embrace these horrible people, and especially try to get involved in relationships with them, you are pretty much asking for it. Absolutely nothing good will come out of it. You wanted the worst, you've got the worst.

I wouldn't want to be anywhere close to any of these degenerate people.

There is a reason why someone like Cleve stays a complete outsider to the gaming industry and is considered a pariah. He never wanted to play the game these phony, horrible people wanted him to play.

People who have actual integrity and character would never accept to have anything to do with the gaming industry, pretty much. They would become accountants, doctors, translators, engineers, lawyers, civil servants.

slowtard

Educated
Sadly, from skimming Codex, these developments are helping to further reinforce a tendency toward genuine misogyny among gamerz, not just the tongue-in-cheek variety such as that sometimes espoused by Slowtard & Co. Way to go, Karissa!

More broadly, in the last ten years, for some reason, social justice movements have gone beyond asking for fairness, and closer to requiring a presumption of forthrightness on the part of anyone who claims to espouse their ideals, lest your skepticism make you morally and ethically unsound.

This kind of thing often seems to happen when there is no standard of evidence needed to accuse someone of something, and the accused thereby becomes so untouchable that no one with any instinct for self-preservation would go near them. As it is current_year, I must now refer you now to a podcast on the subject that might draw a dramatic parallel by historical analogy to the satanic panic of the late 1970s to early 1990s in USA: Season 2 of Conviction: American Panic. (I haven't heard season 1, but it might well accomplish the same thing.)

Repressed Homosexual
actual integrity
accountants, doctors, translators, engineers, lawyers, civil servants
:positive:

What I want to say is that if you want to work as a so called artist, it's because you're a weirdo or a loser.

Nobody normal wakes up one morning deciding he wants to shoot movies or documentaries for a living.

To be an artist and to thrive in that scene, you have to be exceptionally degenerate or dysfunctional.

Every single person I've ever met who was an artist was exactly this way. Obnoxious, arrogant, delusional, loud, crude, irreverent... It convinces me to completely forbid my daughter to ever have anything to do with these people.

A normal, balanced person will get a real job in which they can actually be productive and pragmatic.

A horse of course

actual integrity

What I want to say is that if you want to work as a so called artist, it's because you're a weirdo or a loser.

Nobody normal wakes up one morning deciding he wants to shoot movies or documentaries for a living.

To be an artist and to thrive in that scene, you have to be exceptionally degenerate or dysfunctional.

Every single person I've ever met who was an artist was exactly this way. Obnoxious, arrogant, delusional, loud, crude, irreverent... It convinces me to completely forbid my daughter to ever have anything to do with these people.

A normal, balanced person will get a real job in which they can actually be productive and pragmatic.

I agree. The romans considered acting to be a profession on the same level as prostitution. They were too generous.

Zeriel

Arcane
actual integrity

This ignores the fact a lot of the people working in "art" industries are just proles doing normal jobs. Grips in Hollywood etc. Audio guys. There's a lot of stuff that goes into producing movies, not all of it is actors and directors. That being said video game studios are probably almost purely those bougie types though, because the technology obviates any need for proles doing undesirable "low-tier" work.

Sadly, from skimming Codex, these developments are helping to further reinforce a tendency toward genuine misogyny among gamerz, not just the tongue-in-cheek variety such as that sometimes espoused by Slowtard & Co. Way to go, Karissa!

More broadly, in the last ten years, for some reason, social justice movements have gone beyond asking for fairness, and closer to requiring a presumption of forthrightness on the part of anyone who claims to espouse their ideals, lest your skepticism make you morally and ethically unsound.

This kind of thing often seems to happen when there is no standard of evidence needed to accuse someone of something, and the accused thereby becomes so untouchable that no one with any instinct for self-preservation would go near them. As it is current_year, I must now refer you now to a podcast on the subject that might draw a dramatic parallel by historical analogy to the satanic panic of the late 1970s to early 1990s in USA: Season 2 of Conviction: American Panic. (I haven't heard season 1, but it might well accomplish the same thing.)

"Man bitten by dog unfairly starts disliking dogs." Don't look into why inner city cops are "racist", it will really blow your mind. Also you should stop pretending to be confused about why these dynamics exist, they are very simple. When a group gets special privileges by complaining, they will keep complaining, and complain about problems that don't exist. It's straightforward. Incentivize behavior, get more of said behavior.

Monkey Baron

Arbiter
Patron
I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's kind of funny that once women got interested about game development (they were not before) it all began to fall apart. Or is it just a coincidende I don't know.

Roberta Williams, Jane Jensen, Lori Ann Cole... There were plenty of respectable women in the games industry years ago. Ones who actually had proper jobs beyond being a "community manager." The Brenda Braithwaite/Romeros were once outliers in the industry. Now they're a dime a dozen and loud as fuck.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath

Please, there is no such thing as Misogony among gamers, there is a lot of misandry though.

The sad part about most men is that they love women so much that they are willing to go any length of protecting them. Even if they are absolute Vile persons (as any human can be).

v1rus

Arcane
The Brenda Braithwaite/Romeros were once outliers in the industry. Now they're a dime a dozen and loud as fuck.

Didnt she actually make some good games? Honest question, I know nothing of her, except that her name is on some big titles. I also remember seeing and skimming through that book on game design of hers, and while it didnt look like a holy grail, it wasnt a scam either.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Karissa referring to Chris as her "con-boyfriend" (convention boyfriend), and even referring to him as a "complete gentleman". Karissa even says she'll need to "keep the alcohol flowing"...

So Karen was just desperate for The Chris to plow her, he didn't comply and she started whoring for attention. Clown World 101.

Monkey Baron

Arbiter
Patron
I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Brenda Braithwaite/Romeros were once outliers in the industry. Now they're a dime a dozen and loud as fuck.

Didnt she actually make some good games? Honest question, I know nothing of her, except that her name is on some big titles. I also remember seeing and skimming through that book on game design of hers, and while it didnt look like a holy grail, it wasnt a scam either.

Her actual contributions have been over exaggerated by her. Robert Sirotek explained this when he went on Matt Chat. If I recall correctly, she started off working as an intern, and did some minor script work for Wizardry 8 and Jagged Alliance 2? But she claims that she had some lead role. The Wizardry 8 wikipedia page even credits her as a lead designer. I'm pretty sure that was Brenda's doing.

9i8ztna.png

Brenda's biggest contributions to gaming is launching a C&D on the Stones of Arnhem auctions and marrying child groomer John Romero.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

Maximilian

How is this relevant to gaming?
Yeah, how is the main designer behind the 1st game on our top 101 PC RPGs list being canceled and thrown out of the videogame world due to false accusations relevant to gaming?
Hasn't made a single meaningful contribution to the industry in many, many years, starting quite some time before any allegations. A has-been, so to speak.
Uh, EXCUSE ME:

0c5bJV8.png
Now, be fair with me - when was the last time he has designed a narrative, for which he's so beloved? Contracting him to write individual party members is a vanity move on the part of his contractors...

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Now, be fair with me - when was the last time he has designed a narrative, for which he's so beloved? Contracting him to write individual party members is a vanity move on the part of his contractors...
.... and? Even if just with a minor role, he was still part of the industry. And even if he wasn't, his past alone is enough to make this a relevant piece of news for the users of this forum.

Moreover, minor role or not, Nok-Nok and Durance are the best written characters in their respective games. That has to count for something.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
How is this relevant to gaming?
Yeah, how is the main designer behind the 1st game on our top 101 PC RPGs list being canceled and thrown out of the videogame world due to false accusations relevant to gaming?
Hasn't made a single meaningful contribution to the industry in many, many years, starting quite some time before any allegations. A has-been, so to speak.
Uh, EXCUSE ME:

0c5bJV8.png

So the fuck what, he earned that

Maximilian

.... and? Even if just with a minor role, he was still part of the industry. And even if he wasn't, his past alone is enough to make this a relevant piece of news for the users of this forum.

Moreover, minor role or not, Nok-Nok and Durance are the best written characters in their respective games. That has to count for something.
This is where I disagree vehemently. Past projects alone do not validate turning the front page into a gossip section. After all, very few (if any) of us have interacted with Chris Avellone, past the infrequent forum encounters where he appears here drunk to complain about Obsidian, instead we have played his games. Himself as a person does not concern me much. Himself as a brand of writing, sure. I'm able to discuss it, endorse it when worth endorsing, dismiss when fit for dismissal.

Frankly, talking about Avellone's legal bouts and relationship stints is symptomatic of an unhealthy shift of interests past Gamergate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom