Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thoughts on Bethesda

• Thread starter User was nabbed fit
  • Start date

Fezzik

Cipher
If it's an alt, I wouldn't be surprised to find Liberal behind the mask, what with the amount of effort put in, the lack of punctuation errors, and an identity built around one particular insecurity.

I'd like it if she were a new poster, though. This place could use some livening up.

Radisshu said:
Or spacemoose

Every time you bastards mention the moose I go back into mourning.

Smiffy

Novice
Reptilian Shapeshifter said:
Smiffy said:
So, Jaeson it is, for me.
That's certainly possible. There's quite a bit of evidence pointing to Jaesun, as you described. The only thing that doesn't fit is the writing style. That's not to say that Jaesun can't do it, he just hasn't demonstrated it up to this point, that level of sarcasm and verbosity.
Actually I don't think it's him. From what I've seen of his posts it just does not seem to be his kind of humour.
I just found it funny seeing this whole thing as a kind of whodunnit, and if it were I think there is no doubt that it was him who did the deed, being the last one you'd suspect and all...
Anyway, Jaesun not Jaeson, sorry.

User was nabbed fit

MetalCraze said:
Damn GRPGD keeps getting shittier and shittier

It's almost as if it's highly correlated with your posting contributions... :smug:

Luzur

Good Sir
Alt said:
Hey, Melissan, you might not become an astronaut...because you're female and all..., but if you keep going like that, you might end up a moderator here on RPG Codex. I'd imagine reading 20-pages-threads and cultivating Retardoland can be just as rewarding as hauling satellites to and fro.

wait, what if that is her aim?

could it be?

that Melissa is...is...Princess_stomper??

crufty

Arcane
Will the pc start in jail with a dagger?

Sometimes...sometimes...i wonder if bethesda sw is conflicted. By the desire to make a truly great game with meaningful choices, stats, skills...and then the push to move units.

Wow it would be cool if....but the net kiddies wouldnt get it. Can we...but how many call of duty iz better will we see.

How many creative features get cut just because, at the end of the day, its a job?

CorpseZeb

Learned
Hm, can I say loud some thoughts about Beth? I joined here after epic failure of this tread, so... hm. Its not too late to say something, right?

Erm... *clears throat*

Sorry girls, you are such bunch of wankers, talking 'bout pretty Melisa, instead focus on very interesting question. OP of this very topic - ViolentOpposition – wrote – quote - “It's not that they can't, or wouldn't know how to, or that they're dumb, or that they forgot. No, they're actually very smart, and they could probably develop a great RPG even by Codex standards. They just don't want to. What they want is to maximise sales of their games (a more accessible game = a larger suitable audience = more copies sold). Classical RPGs are never going to sell as much as Popadragon 2, because they're just not as accessible to as wide an audience.” - end of quote.

This. In world where entertainment in games are define by fun and 15 seconds of orgasm, we have no valid ground to expecting nothing more that just... fun. And 15 seconds of... well. Zola of RPG not came yet, I afraid.

Besides, I wonder, what make RPG great? “Old school rules”? Which edition of D'n'd? Or maybe another “paper” system – which are plenty? C&C with prose on level Orson Scott Card or hard sandbox a'la Stalker? Worlds of Tolkien or Gibson?

Another thought, what if Beht. just can't do better RPG? As someone earlier wrote, they RPG systems always been rather “murky” in many ways. They games were saved by sheer size and quality content (till Oblivion). By cutting content (expensive stuff – y'know) they left with just empty codpieces in their pants. Of course they will be financially flourishing after their new hit Skyrim (because of amount of bloom...)

CorpseZeb said:
Hm, can I say loud some thoughts about Beth? I joined here after epic failure of this tread, so... hm. Its not too late to say something, right?

Erm... *clears throat*

Sorry girls, you are such bunch of wankers, talking 'bout pretty Melisa, instead focus on very interesting question. OP of this very topic - ViolentOpposition – wrote – quote - “It's not that they can't, or wouldn't know how to, or that they're dumb, or that they forgot. No, they're actually very smart, and they could probably develop a great RPG even by Codex standards. They just don't want to. What they want is to maximise sales of their games (a more accessible game = a larger suitable audience = more copies sold). Classical RPGs are never going to sell as much as Popadragon 2, because they're just not as accessible to as wide an audience.” - end of quote.

This. In world where entertainment in games are define by fun and 15 seconds of orgasm, we have no valid ground to expecting nothing more that just... fun. And 15 seconds of... well. Zola of RPG not came yet, I afraid.

Besides, I wonder, what make RPG great? “Old school rules”? Which edition of D'n'd? Or maybe another “paper” system – which are plenty? C&C with prose on level Orson Scott Card or hard sandbox a'la Stalker? Worlds of Tolkien or Gibson?

Another thought, what if Beht. just can't do better RPG? As someone earlier wrote, they RPG systems always been rather “murky” in many ways. They games were saved by sheer size and quality content (till Oblivion). By cutting content (expensive stuff – y'know) they left with just empty codpieces in their pants. Of course they will be financially flourishing after their new hit Skyrim (because of amount of bloom...)

As for 'what makes a crpg great', I think you'll find that's been discussed in great detail many times over, here. For your reference, people differ on the subject, but there's a reason why Fallout (the first one), Arcanum and Planescape:Torment are called 'the Codex Holy Trinity'.

If you need other examples on what most folks here consider to make a 'great' crpg, see: VtM:Bloodlines, Realms of Arkania, Ultima 4-7, Wizardry 4-8, Deus Ex (ok, maybe not a crpg), Daggerfall, and Ultima Underworld. Quite a few folks here like Baldurs Gate 2, others hate it, most here view BG1 as pretty crappy.

CorpseZeb

Learned
Azrael the cat, sir, thanks for pointers – going to reading now.

But generally... titles you mention, we know them, we love them but they are part of our nostalgic past... My question was more about future, towards new RPG. We can't repeat yesterday games once more and once again, can we?

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
CorpseZeb said:
Azrael the cat, sir, thanks for pointers – going to reading now.

But generally... titles you mention, we know them, we love them but they are part of our nostalgic past... My question was more about future, towards new RPG. We can't repeat yesterday games once more and once again, can we?

Wish we could, cause the new shit is pretty heavy :decline:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Azrael the cat said:
As for 'what makes a crpg great', I think you'll find that's been discussed in great detail many times over, here. For your reference, people differ on the subject, but there's a reason why Fallout (the first one), Arcanum and Planescape:Torment are called 'the Codex Holy Trinity'.

And just in case you were wondering what that reason is: because the general codex population is borderline retarded and has no good taste. Fallout is the only one that deserves to be there, and even that requires a considerable amount of indulgence. Torment isn't even an RPG. :M

CorpseZeb

Learned
Mastermind said:
And just in case you were wondering what that reason is: because the general codex population is borderline retarded and has no good taste. Fallout is the only one that deserves to be there, and even that requires a considerable amount of indulgence. Torment isn't even an RPG. :M

Indeed, sir, indeed. I'm surprised by young age of games constituting “holy trinity”. I expected titles like Might & Magic, Wizardry, Wasteland, Pool of Radiance series, than relatively modern games.

tennishero

Novice
part of the charm of bethesda games is the VAST LORE and game world

cyrodil and morrowind existed long before the games did

skyrim existed in oblivion

you knew about these places and now you get to visit

its really gorgeous and theres no other series like it that has so much lore

there was a time when everyone thought tolkein was untouchable but i think the elder scrolls raped his books

CorpseZeb

Learned
tennishero:

Son, watch your language! I never seen Peter J. famous movies, because love Tolkien so much.

Elzair

Cipher
Whatever happened to Melissan? Did she ever have a breakdown?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom