Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tips and Tricks

denizsi

Arcane
Yeah. Unless they add things like poison arrows or hurt animals slowing down, all your investment in marksmanship has gone down the toilet.

Murk

Arcane
Not at all - noobs can use their modest but improved marksmanship (35-50) to accurately hit level X bears as the much more powerful UA/Melee players do the tanking.

Remember, LP is split evenly and is not diminished at all - so a bear that would give 18k LP is going to give 18K lp to everyone.

Archery can be used to take down fleeing enemies, especially foxes/boars that have 1 hit left.

Also, the game is still evolving every second so I doubt they'll just leave archery completely useless.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Mikayel said:
Remember, LP is split evenly and is not diminished at all - so a bear that would give 18k LP is going to give 18K lp to everyone.
not quite how it works, actually. lp are not split evenly, but not reduced one from another either. at least that's how it went when avu and me went hunting once.

Murk

Arcane
Ah right - I forgot - if you only get a few hits in you get less LP, than someone who did more damage. This happened to me once when I was busy IRL and couldn't set my dewd to pew pew a bear with someone else, I got in and got maybe 4 hits on him and got a lot less LP than whoever I was hunting with.

Regardless - the 1 melee/unarmed tank + noobs with bows strategy should still work and actually get quite a bit of LP for everyone.

denizsi

Arcane
You don't get it. You throw 3 arrows on a X bear, THREE, and it starts fleeing, possibly to a herd of deers to get insta healing and if you were still following it, you get fucked.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
denizsi said:
They've updated the animal AI, so you can no longer safely sit in your boat or in your bear trap and shoot at animals forever. They now flee, and not just flee 10 tiles away and stop. They flee the fuck away from you.

So, I've devised a convoluted but safe way of trap-hunting.

(1) First, you built a corridor trap:

X _ _ X X X
X X _ X _ X
X _ _ X _ X
X _ _ X _ X
X _ _ X _ X
X _ _ X _ X
X _ _ X _ X
X _ _ X _ X
X _ _ _ _ X
X X X X X X
... and five hours later, when you've finished building your elaborate corridor setup, the bear has walked off-screen and despawned anyway.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
SuicideBunny said:
or just go ua/melee.
Fuck. Yeah.
Need at least 200 melee, to not get hit as often, and a crapload of constitution, though, for lvl 10 bears.
rambo1.jpg

Murk

Arcane
denizsi said:
You don't get it. You throw 3 arrows on a X bear, THREE, and it starts fleeing, possibly to a herd of deers to get insta healing and if you were still following it, you get fucked.

I said a melee/unarmed figher tanking. that means the melee guy is fighting and the noobs, who before had to resort to gunshipping, just shoot from a distance (doing much less damage than the melee tank, and thus not getting attacked).

liek lrn 2 red lol

denizsi

Arcane
DarkUnderlord said:
denizsi said:
They've updated the animal AI, so you can no longer safely sit in your boat or in your bear trap and shoot at animals forever. They now flee, and not just flee 10 tiles away and stop. They flee the fuck away from you.

So, I've devised a convoluted but safe way of trap-hunting.

(1) First, you built a corridor trap:

X _ _ X X X
X X _ X _ X
X _ _ X _ X
X _ _ X _ X
X _ _ X _ X
X _ _ X _ X
X _ _ X _ X
X _ _ X _ X
X _ _ _ _ X
X X X X X X
... and five hours later, when you've finished building your elaborate corridor setup, the bear has walked off-screen and despawned anyway.

Indeed, if you're Stephen Hawking.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Bah. Just shoot the bear 'till it runs, run after it and THEN box it in.

Still, increased the tedium of grinding bears to a level where I can't be arsed to bother anymore.

Avu

Liturgist
The horror turning productive that cannot be...

denizsi

Arcane
Target acquired:
40c42b8c65.jpg

Come here kitty kitty
cf4ba6eb79.jpg

Come closer
15fa2634ee.jpg

If you could think, you'd be thinking what a moron you are, by now
c686cde58c.jpg

A little too late for that, LOL
bc75db56d4.jpg

Oh yeah. Now I can hit that ass
9e6f4c8b7e.jpg

denizsi

Arcane
I'm also bringing you the words of Allah, writing it down by building those huge contours. For whom follows and obeys the words of Allah shall be delivered from the evils of untamed beasts and spare the lesser of the beasts from your hands for they too are Allah's creation, who has a purpose to all of his creations.

Murk

Arcane
kinda pointless to have a solid wall if bears can't get through two con. signs placed 1 hex apart

denizsi

Arcane
It's a highway for safe passage between grids against all animals. Only the bears can't can't get through a single tile.

Murk

Arcane
You seriously built a gigantic pathway of construction signs from one GRID to another? and this is used by other people or just you?

denizsi

Arcane
Heh, kind of. Auto-laying construction signs by groups of 5. Can never really leave it unattended for more than that, too many bears, boars and foxes around.

You seriously built a gigantic pathway of construction signs from one GRID to another? and this is used by other people or just you?

It's not that gigantic. It's only 2 local maps long, spanning between where end-most rivers of two grids are the closest. I've seen others use it and leave rune messages.

I was going to make a walled road and pave the road too, but that would affect the wildlife in the immediate surrounding of the highway too much, making a-walk-in-the-park hunting hard, not to mention requiring maintenance. I'm still on the fence about paving, though. Wanna help?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom